This is a multiple choice test question.
Which of the following does not belong with the other three?
A. Star Trek
B. Star Wars
C. Star Gate
D. STARBASE
Most people my age remember the original Star Trek television show, running from 1966 through 1969, which, despite its futuristic settings and plots, portrayed characters resembling those we had come to love in our favorite television westerns of that time (think Gunsmoke 1955-1975; Wagon Train -1957-65; and Rawhide - 1959-66). I loved them all, but Rawhide (and Clint Eastwood‘s character, ramrod Rowdy Yates) was my favorite. I became a Trek fan in 9th grade.
Then there was Star Wars, a space fantasy series that began back in 1977 with episode IV, A New Hope. The adventurous story plot, classic hero/villain characters, and interstellar settings combined with military/naval and cowboy/western action to make a movie that was both entertaining and mystical, carrying a message of hope and promise in the power of the Force. I fell in love with the Star Wars series and eagerly waited for each new release.
If you are a science fiction and fantasy movie aficionado, you recognize Star Gate as a 1994 science fiction big screen movie, about a team of explorers who, after entering a massive, fluid-like interstellar transporter device, are sent to a planet in an unknown star system where they discover a human-like race with a resemblance in dress, language, and architecture to Earth’s ancient Egyptians. The movie starred Kurt Russell and James Spader and was later developed into two television series, Star Gate 1 and Star Gate Atlantis. I enjoyed the movie, but know very little about the tv series.
STARBASE, Science and Technology Academies Reinforcing Basic Aviation and Space Exploration, is a program that started 14 years ago in several states, in response to a need for more science, math, technology, and positive life choices for students in grades 4 - 6. STARBASE is funded by the Department of Defense, and in our state is sponsored by the North Carolina National Guard, based in Charlotte. (Clicking on the link above will take you to the Kansas STARBASE site. I have not been able to link with the North Carolina STARBASE website as of this time.)Back to the multiple choice question above. Clearly, the correct answer is answer D. Whereas the first three choices are fictional movie and television series titles, the last choice is a real life effort to create more excitement in the areas of science, math, and technology, to promote teamwork, and to help kids understand the dangers of drug use and make positive life choices.
Now, for the reason that I, in a roundabout manner, have brought up the subject of STARBASE: the STARBASE people, former teachers, and active National Guard personnel, came to my school, B. Everett Jordan Elementary school, this week, and I want to write about the many fine things this program, and its instructors, has to offer. A previous entry (Sept 20) is a record of one event, when the Black Hawk helicopter and crew landed near our school the first day to kick off the program.
Because this will be a lengthy write up, with pictures, I will add the details to my next entry. This entry is what writers refer to as "the hook." I hope it does its job.


No comments:
Post a Comment