I went to the address below after I got an email from the Daily Dig people.
http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/MeaningOfAdvent.htm?source=DailyDig
There was an article about the Meaning of Advent. I read it, then responded to it.
For me, Advent is a time of reflecting and rethinking about what I'm doing. It reminds me of what many of us are waiting and hoping for: the coming of our Lord. Unlike the gentleness of the manger scene we are familiar with which marks His birth into humankind, justice will be served at the Second Coming with apocalyptic results, and a new world will begin. I hope to see people recognize him in others, acting like he's working right beside them. Acting like they are serving him, like every man is his brother. I wonder, then, if we were to demonstrate that kind of Christ-like behavior the world over, would the apocalyptic version have to take place?
As Mary waited for her baby to be born long ago, a Christian is expecting Christ to be born within himself as well.
The idea of putting up a tree this year seems less appealing to me the older I get. I look back and see the attempts we make to let people know we love them. The gift buying was fun when the kids were younger, but it doesn't seem necessary, nor practical now that they've grown. Still, I want to maintain the hope and joy of the Season. I don't know what I will do that is different. But something will be different. I am cocooning this season!
Here are a couple of other sites to visit for an explanation of the Christian Holy Season of Advent:


No comments:
Post a Comment