Sunday, December 18, 2005

Asking Permission to Copy

Well, I had written Mr. Dudash for permission to use his image in my journal page, but after he explained his terms of use, I decided not to keep the image on my page.

I liked his art work, but after I looked at all his other paintings, beautiful as they all are, I saw that the one I had chosen for this mornings earlier entry was the only image that I wanted.

He would have given me blanket permission for pre-approved use of his works, that is, for a yearly fee of $25 I could use his work if I asked before using the work, and he would even send me higher quality images whenever they were available. I thought it would be an excellent deal if I would be using many of the images all through the year, but I doubt I will be using them that much.

I understand his need to protect his work. Copyright for his work is held jointly by himself and other companies, so it gets complicated trying to protect the copyright.

People all over the internet could get hold of it and modify it, copy it, print it, and do whatever to it. Although that was not my original intent, I really have no control over what happens to it once I put it out there, so I removed the image.

If you would like to see the image I had there, here is a link to Michael Dudash's He Shall Hear My Voice. And if you really like his work, here is his website link.

So, journalers, before using art work you find on the internet, you have to ask permission.

 But most of you already knew that!

No comments: