Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Rest Amidst the Chaos

Rest Amidst the Chaos

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you … and you will find rest for your souls…”

Matthew 11: 28-29

The weeks leading up to and including Christmas are usually a time of chaos for me. All the preparations associated with the holiday often leave me feeling exhausted and numb.

One Christmas in particular stands out for me as the Christmas I shut down. On Christmas Day, as my husband and son packed up the car with gifts for the two-hour drive to my in-laws, I dreaded the family visit. I couldn’t face a day of noise, disorder, laughing, squealing or squalling little ones, people bumping into each other, and sitting too close. I love my husband’s folks, and normally I look forward to a few hours of our large family gathered in Mom’s confined mobile home but that morning I wasn‘t up to it. I asked them both if they minded if I didn’t go with them. I explained. They were understanding. My son was concerned about what the family would think. “Just tell them your mother is acting a little weird today and wants to be alone,” I suggested as I kissed him good-bye.

After they left, I sat numbly for a few moments wondering how could I want to be alone on Christmas Day? Guilt quickly overwhelmed me.

I opened my Bible in hopes I could find some solace in God‘s Word. The comfort and reassurance in Jesus’ invitation quieted my mind and lightened my heart. After receiving the Word, I opened my journal and revealed the deep lamentations of my heart. The burden lifted.

I spent the rest of the day moving slowly in thoughtful contemplation, putting things away. I read a book. I took a nap. By the time Steve and Steven got home that evening, I was alive again!

This Advent Season, set aside some quiet time to be with God.

 

Prayer: Father, in You there is rest. Sometimes You call us to serve others, and sometimes You call us to be still. May we recognize when You call us away from the chaos! Amen.

 

Click here to view The Comforter by C. Michael Dudash

No comments: