Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Dancing with the Lord

After I read Gwynn's entry, about her struggle to get hold of the Lord's hand, I was reminded of my own struggle to let go of His hand. It seems an odd thing to want to do, but I wanted to try to do His work without feeling like He was always carrying my weight, like the weight of the cross. I wanted my hands to be His hands. I was failing miserably at being a servant of Christ. When would I ever be able to stand on my own two feet and work for Him? When would I help bear the cross like Simeon?

In 2003, I asked that question. The tune of an already well-loved hymn called "Lord of the Dance," by Sydney Carter (1963) kept playing in my head, and I didn't want it to go away.

If you know the hymn, then the following song makes musical sense (somewhat), otherwise it will read like a poem. I wrote it the Monday after Easter Sunday, 2003. The first and last verse is the chorus from "Lord of the Dance." Those were the words that inspired my version of the song.

Dancing with the Lord

“Dance, then, wherever you may be.

I am the Lord of the Dance said he.

And I’ll lead you on, wherever you may be,

And I’ll lead you on in the dance, said he.”

 

He carried me when I was a child.

I felt secure in his arms, all the while

I never thought I could dance on my own.

Close to his heart, I never felt alone.

 

One day I realized that my life was all wrong.

He sat me down, then he sang me his song.

Words of love assured he had forgiven me,

Then with a final embrace he said, “Come dance with me!”

 

I trembled with fear, I looked into his eyes.

“I don’t know how to dance!” this frightened girl replied.

“I’ve never even walked, you’ve carried me along.”

Come dance with me,” he urged with his song.

 

The scars on his hands were rough against my skin.

My heart began to open, I felt his Light come in.

I realized he’d chosen me; it was time for me to stand.

Come dance with me!” sang the Lord of the Dance.

 

I finally understood he had some work for me to do.

He said “If you will live in me, then I will live in you.

You have a gift to give the world, the giving sets you free.”

And then he explained, “Your dance begins with me.”

 

My heart filled with joy, I knew the time had come

To dance with the Lord, with Jesus Christ, the Son.

I took my first step and all my fears went away.

I am dancing with the Lord of the Dance today!”

 

"Dance, then, wherever you may be.

I am the Lord of the Dance said he.

And I’ll lead you on, wherever you may be,

And I’ll lead you on in the dance, said he.”

 

Bea Gilmore, April 2003

 

The invitation to dance with the Lord is extended to all! That is the life-changing point of the song: He invites each one of us to "dance" with Him! Not everyone pays attention when He asks, though. Not everyone is ready to follow Him. He promises to lead us, so don't be afraid. All one has to do is accept the invitation and follow His lead. Dance then, wherever you may be...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was beautiful, Bea! so true; awesome words

betty

Anonymous said...

I always loved that song!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Awesome!  What a beautiful picture you painted with your words.  I know the hymn you spoke of and quoted in your poem, but I really love Steven Curtis Chapman's "Lord Of The Dance."  (Lyrics here: http://songbook.manueladam.com/ID/7096af0a-de5d-45e4-b04a-e358fb857f21/show.lyrics)

Thanks for the link to my journal.  :)

In Him,
Gwynn

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry!!   Peace and love, Michelle

Anonymous said...

{{{{Bea}}}}

That was such an uplifting entry, and one I needed to hear right now.  Thank you for all your support, and for being here for me.  You are a true gem, Bea..

Love and hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Making my weekly trip through J-Land, stopping to say hi.
This was a lovely, inspirational entry. God Bless You Dear!
Have a good wkend! ;0)
Blessings,
SUGAR
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/SUGARSLIFE/
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/PRAYING4U/
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/MYBELOVEDFURRBABIES/

Anonymous said...

I simply loved this.  Loved it, loved it, loved it!  You DO have a gift!  ~Tara

Anonymous said...

very nice Bea!
lovely words
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Bea~This poem is down right outstanding! Dancing now~Sassy ;-)

http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysWORD