Yes, Barbara, we do have computers in every classroom. In fact, some classrooms in our school have two, three, or four computers. We even have a computer lab, and I do have pictures of that as well, except none of them are on my home computer so I couldn't insert them for this entry.
In the course of a school day, the students will use the computers to research a topic for social studies or science. They use them to take reading assessments after they have read a book, and they use them to write their essays if there is a handwriting problem.
Many students go on the computer to work in programs that will help them sharpen their reading skills, math skills, or just listening skills (which ultimately helps their reading and spelling skills).
The computer above is in my classroom. While we are working on decoding skills, comprehension skills, math skills, or writing skills, someone is usually on the computer for a fifteen minute session of math skills practice and/or review. Students take turns each day, rotating through a list until all have put in their time. Over a period of time, from days to weeks, the teacher can pull up the results of their efforts, and can see if there has been progress in particular areas or not. For example, I can see if John has made any gains in the area of adding fractions, or in the area of multiplying two digits, etc. This kind of information helps me determine which area of focus in math would be most beneficial for John.
Students do spend time on the computers in the classroom. Often the teacher will bring in what we call the Tech Cart. That's a self-contained unit on wheels, which includes an overhead projector, a printer, and up to twenty laptops for students. The students can watch on the overhead screen while a teacher demonstrates a lesson, then they can each go off on their own little research assignment on their individual laptops.
We have two of these TechCarts, and the teachers must sign up for them in advance to use one in their classroom. I've seen some pretty exciting lesson plans come from the use of the Tech Cart, from exploring animal habitats throughout the world to discovering the beginnings of our own country.
In the Computer Lab, where students go as a classroom once a week for specific instruction or to work on class research projects, the Lab instructor often introduces them to a new program, a specific educational website, or shows them how to find what they are looking for. Students at this age are so quick to learn computer skills. I've had students show me how to use the computer because they have more experience with the Apple computers than I do. They know how to save and print their works, and they know how to access their favorite websites within seconds of getting on the computer. Scrolling through web pages and clicking on links is old-hat to them, but we still have to be mindful of where they are going. There's always a kid or two who will try to go somewhere that has nothing to do with where we want them to be!
We even get to do a little spontaneous research from time to time. On Cinqo de Maio, for example, a Hispanic student came to me and asked me what that was. I was surprised that he hadn't heard of it, so we did some research right there on the spot. I got him started, and he did the rest, printing out a five page article that he could take home with him.
Another time, my 4th grade reading group wanted to know what happened to the elephant Mary that they had been reading about. Mary was an elephant who painted on canvas. It was very interesting, but the story ended without telling us what became of Mary. I suggested we go on the internet, we did a search of the author of the book, and of the family who kept the elephants. The girls found a website about the family with photos of all the elephants, and stories about them. They composed an email, and we sent it to the elephant's owner, using my school email address, of course. Every day the girls asked if we had gotten an email back from them. Three weeks later, we did. They learned what happened to Mary: she had died since the story had been written. But the good news was that another youngster seemed to be following her footsteps as a painter! The girls were so excited. They are now elephant lovers, and they can tell you the difference between an Asian elephant and an African elephant.
Yes, we use computers at school daily, but I'd love to see computers in every home. The benefits to the student who is curious and wants to know more about something when the question comes to mind is priceless. Imagine: they ask a question. Parent says, "I don't know... let's go find out."
Internet research leads to all kinds of discoveries. There's a vast arena for learning out there, beyond games and videos.
Maybe someday it will be more affordable.


6 comments:
Wow! I am proud my question inspired a whole entry! Sounds like your school system uses them much the same way ours does. But you are right, only so many hours in a day, so many questions, ... I know that sometimes when businesses upgrade they are at a loss as to what to do with thier old pc's. They still function and often have the Mircosoft Office Suite. Wouldn't it be great to get an organization searching for donors to match with poorer families? One phone line and $5.00 a month....with some other places besides AOL....and you're on the net!
I do know that in this region at least, Goodwill takes, reconditions and sales for small prices computers. Even without going online, I've seen Bug (age 6) improve in spelling by "writing" in Word or my Incredimail program. And she taught herself how to bring our system up and go online on her screenname, just by watching me! Kids they are amazing! - Barbara
WOW school sure is different from when I was a kid. We used to have to go to the library and research things there! Amazing how fast the kids pick up on how do use the computer! My son is a whiz when it comes to computers!
Pamela
Speaking of computers, I also run the Encase computer forensic program at my PD. If we think that there is evidence of a crime on a computer (more and more there is) I am the one who tries to find it. So, I agree, computers are everywhere and knowing how to use them correctly is an important skill.
Regarding photos of co-workers, it's easier to ask forgivness than permission. Once they see themselves on the Internet, the star-struck factor takes over and you are a hero.
Dead Investigations Dave
love ya Bea!
love,natalie
Cool! I wondered whether the modern classroom had a few computers or alot of them. This sounds like a good balance. - Karen
It never ceases to amaze me how fast kids learn to be proficient on a computer. I'm not bad myself, but I wonder how fast I'd have caught on when I was their age. My 10 year old daughter started a newsletter last year (at age 9) for her friends. Every week she puts it together on our PC. It's really quite good!
Lori
Post a Comment