Before I started blogging in August of 2005, I would write in composition books. I would create a cover for the book, then ponder on it for a theme to guide my writing. Sometimes it would be the other way around: I'd select a theme, then design a cover to reflect it. In October of 2001, purple irises splashed across my journal cover.The cover idea had struck before the theme.
In the words below, I describe how I came to choose the theme that guided me as I filled the pages during the following months. I had designed the cover of the book using a calendar page of purple irises, highlighted in glossy fabric paint, and in the top right corner, I had placed a little 2 inch square picture of a window with lavendar curtains moving gently. As I stared at the cover, I wondered at what I would write on the pages. I always loved starting a new journal.
Blank pages are like a new day. This website journal does not allow me to present it in the same poem format I had originally written in without large line spaces you see below. I don't know how to work around that, so I changed the format somewhat. It doesn't detract from the words.
A new book!
Empty pages waiting to give birth, expectant of yet unknown joys.
Hopes and dreams, yes, and fears and sorrows all,
All to begin here.
A new beginning!
What theme will guide this searching soul?
What words will carry me to my future to become one day words from my past?
What will I tell the me of tomorrow, who will one day look back at the yesterday me with greater understanding?
The truth is all.
A morning glow breaks through the window now.
Curtains gently move by unseen breath.
What does it mean to enjoy a bed of purple irises?
I don't understand even now these images, yet in a way I do.
Intuition chooses the window, eyes choose the purple; a part of me understands
And now I know the theme breaking through my mind,
streaking to my fingertips and down the pen's barrel.
Waiting. Praying. Walking.
B.Gilmore 11-14-01
That year was a year of waiting and praying and walking with the Lord. It was my third year as a teacher. It was a remarkable year for I knew what I did was not by my own power. I need another year like that... of waiting on the Lord, praying to the Lord, and walking with the Lord.


4 comments:
Beautiful entry!
Pam
That was simply beautiful, Bea. :)
~Gwynn
Awesome! And purple irises are my FAVORITE!!!
Lori
Who I am… underneath it all:
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/DiscoveringMe
My Spiritual Journal:
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/PreciousMetal
Thanks for sharing that part of your past, Bea..
I go back, at times, and read the old journals, and I am amazed at how much I have matured both mentally and physically when I read them. I have always thought that I lived such a boring life, but when I read backwards......it was anything but!
Hugs,
Jackie
Post a Comment