I mentioned in an earlier entry that this was a turning point year for me. I couldn't talk about it much at the time because I wanted to be certain that the move would actually take place.
Now, it seems it will.
This is not a good news/bad news announcement, but I share these words with mixed emotions. You cannot work somewhere for seven years and not develop some trusted working relationships. Friendships, even. And you cannot just leave all that behind without some feelings of sadness.
Working in a school environment, one develops friendships, even if you don't have time to nurture them after the school day has ended. I know many of the younger teachers, especially, find time to fraternize from time to time, and I think this is good. I've watched friendships bloom all around me as more experienced teachers mentor the novice teachers.
I myself have bonded with teachers I've worked closely with from year to year. I seem to have a better chance of knowing someone if I work with them on a daily basis. Or even a weekly basis. That is enough to know a person's character.
A few of these relationships go back the full seven years. One teacher (the Mrs B from the beehive and beakeeper entries) actually went through teacher orientation with me at Elon College in 1999. We remember that day with fondness. Later, we both completed our ILT product (a reflective portfolio displaying a year of teaching practices. Back then, teachers did not get their initial license without it. It was grueling!). It's not unlike what military recruits must experience with their buddies as they go through boot-camp training. Not as physically demanding, of course, but exciting and challenging. As I recall, it was also exhausting.
I am going to transfer from the school that has molded me for the last seven years. The first school I've ever taught full-time in, excluding my student teaching semester, has created in me a mode of confidence, resulting in an urge to leave the nest, so to speak. That's what makes it so difficult to leave my school and the people who work there: they have nurtured me, cared for me, guided me, taught me, and made me the teacher I am today.
Before, I was a novice teacher, anxious about everything I did or didn't do. Confidence has never been my middle name. Today, though I am not a seasoned teacher, I do have enough positive experiences behind me to make me feel like I am in the right field after all. Doubt has been replaced by certainty. I am not claiming expertness. Just more assuredness. That's more than I had when I first began this journey in 1996.
There is a restlessness in my heart to move on and try a new school building, to make new friends, to share what I have learned, to make a new contribution in another environment. By the same token, I cannot ignore the fact that I will gain volumes from the new routine, relationships, and classroom experiences: new strategies, ideas, and philosophies from teachers I have not known before.
I am giving up familiarity in exchange for new challenges. I am giving up routine and comfort in exchange for something unknown and different. I like where I am, but I am ready to follow another path. A different path.
Have you ever just wanted to take a different road? One that others may have traveled but you had not? Or even one that looks like it has never been traveled, like the Robert Frost poem. For me, where I am going, I have never gone before. It is a new direction in that sense.
I don't know what moves me from the inside, except the God who has always guided me and lighted my path. I don't always look forward to where He leads me, but I do follow. Eventually. It usually means more work is involved, which is why I resist. In this case, I've been resisting for over a year now, and it's time to listen, as Jonah discovered when he was contemplating his fate from within the depths of the great fish. While Jonah was indeed in a place of darkness and despair as he came to realize his error of disobedience and his need for redirection, my place of transformation can be likened to a cocoon: warm and familiar, surrounded by friends and colleagues.
I am not aware of any special message I am to deliver to my new school, but I do think I will have something special to do when I get there!
Or maybe I will find out they have something special to do with me when I get there.... either way, something special is going to happen. There is a change in the making. That is why I am calling it a turning point year.
I will write more about this in a later entry. I am not ready to say goodbye to my co-workers just yet. We still have lots of work to do together before the school year ends! Memories in the making.


11 comments:
A hard, yet very courageous decision...I'm sure it will be quite worthwhile! congrats
Nancy
I applaud you in your decision. So many times we get stuck in that comfort zone and we stay even though we know something better might be out there. We stay with what's familiar. It takes courage to make a job change like that. Usually, right away you think that you've figured out that you just made the biggest mistake of your life....but it's not true. It takes about 6-9 months to feel comfortable in a new situation again. Be ready for that.
Keep us posted on what's going on.
Pamela
I'm just coming up on a year since I left the job I'd had since 1993. It was traumatic - but absolutely the right thing to do. May your transition go as well as mine has! - Karen
It's so hard to move forward when things are so comfortable. Way to go on getting thrown out of the belly of the whale - I know you'll be landing on a soft, dry patch of land.
Hugs,
Gwynn
I, too, left a building that I began my teaching career in and could relate to much of what you have written here. I made many friendships there that are still intact to this day, some 5-6 years later. I loved my principal with all my heart. He was like a father figure to me. I still email him every now and then for advice.
But change is good and I did seek a different path to broaden my horizons, to learn more, to renew my excitement for teaching. In this new place is where I learned about National Board Certification and I knew this was a challenge I wanted to take on. Like you, I had gained some confidence, but didn't feel like an expert, per se. I earned my certification and learned a lot in that building also. Again I also made new friends that I still keep in contact with and I learned even more to making my teaching more fluid and masterful.
Then three years after that, I moved again. This time out of state. New challenges and new friends were just waiting for me to experience.
It is hard to leave a place you grow comfortable in, but life is all about change and whether it is a good change or bad one, something valuable and positive is usually found. It molds our character. It shapes our destiny. It is good.
P.S. When I left my first building, it was tough because I just felt so much love and compassion there. One Saturday afternoon, I sat down and wrote something about every single person that I worked with in my building. I wrote a postive impact or observation that each person had had on me and I read it at the going away/retirement dinner we had at the end of the year. It made people laugh, it made people cry, but I think everyone understood just how much I genuinely cared and appreciated them in that moment and that was my intent. It was a great moment and I am glad that is the way I chose to say goodbye.
This is "Mrs. B." and I must say I have enjoyed reading many of your entries but this one left me with tears streaming down my face! You are such a special person. You brought out many thoughts that I guess I've been holding back. We came in together and we will go out together. You know that I am moving on to a new experience also--I will think of you often as we become "uncomfortable" again and continue growing. By the way, you ARE a seasoned teacher!
Julie
Julie, now you made me cry! This is going to be a lot harder than I thought.... all I am able to say right now. Bea
Change can be scary, but when you've recognized the need for it or know you're ready, then I think the attitude you have is great! You're ready for new challenges and adventures! Best wishes.
Lori
I see similarities between what you describe and how I felt leaving the church I had been a member of since I was 11 years old. No hard feelings. No real desire to go. Just feeling I was being called to be somewhere else. That church helped nuture, teach and train me into the person I am. But so much of what they helped God develope in me was needed and used in my present church. It'll be bittersweet, but worth the journey. - Barbara
Change is one of the hardest things for me to deal with. I can deal with sickness, death, or any crisis, but changing my work or the place I live.. is just so hard for me to fathom.
I admire your courage Bea... It's so easy to get comfortable where you are (like I am), and just stay put... but, here you are venturing out into a new school, where in many ways it will be like starting all over. Sorta.
I have no doubt.. being the awesome teacher that you are, that you will do wonderfully! If God has been giving you that nudge, then it's best you listen.
When he nudges me, I pretend I don't feel it.. I just hate change..
Hugs and love,
Jackie
That is another favorite poem and yes new roads intrigue me! but lately I have alot of paths to trod down
natalie
Post a Comment