After school, I took my dog Misty to the vet to have a couple of things looked at. I knew one of them probably would require surgery, and the other I wasn't sure about. The one was a black mole-like growth on her back. It began as a smaller flat version of what it is now, and the fact that it has increased in size over the past six months has me concerned. It's about a 1/4 inch in diameter.
The other thing on her neck could be a cyst, but it too has increased in size over the past year, and has become firmer to the touch. A year ago when we first noticed them, the doctor wasn't concerned. She said let's wait and see if they get bigger or change color.
They did.
Today she looked at both places, and urged me to have both of them surgically removed, and sent to pathology to find out if they were cancerous or not. The black mole-like growth concerned her greatly, and the cyst thing did not respond as she expected when she tried to aspirate it... blood came out instead of the fluid she was expecting.
So I set up an appointment for next month. I asked for an estimate of what the surgeries would cost, and it came to $400-$500 (included bloodwork, $76; removal of tumor, $120; general anesthesia, $60; antibiotic injection $13; metacam injection $15; surgical pack $15; hospital supplies ?? $25; cephalexin liquid, $16; take home pain med $15; histopathology $107).
If I add in dental cleaning while she is under, that will be another $100.
My husband about fell over. I told him I was getting it done. I wanted those growths off my dog. Whether they are cancerous or not, they are hideous, and I don't like feeling them when I pet her. I want them off if they are malignant, and I want them off if they are benign.
I'm willing to pay the cost of health care for my dog. She deserves to be healthy and happy too.


11 comments:
I agree!!! Our furry friends are like real little people!! I'll be keeping Misty in my thoughts.
What a wonderful, caring dog owner/lover you are. Misty is indeed very lucky to have you, and I'm sure you feel lucky to have her in your life as well. When we take our pets into our homes, we should all be prepared to care for them, regardless of how it effects our pocketbooks. I know, it's easier said than done though! Will be keeping Misty in my prayers!! Michelle
They are furry members of our family, & deserve to be treated as we would treat any other member of the family! I applaud you!!! :)
Hugs, Sug & girls
Oh wow...so sorry. I'm just glad it's all treatable. I would spend anything I had on my doggies.
Nancy
We have a Schnauzer which is what your doggie looks like, right? Well...she develops what they call "Schnauzer bumps." They have been benign, but I get them taken off when we see them. I guess it's a common thing for that breed.
Hope your doggie is ok.
Pamela
Tuffy has a growth on top of her head. The vet has seen it before, but it worries us. I think that may be why we postponed her annual vet visit. Ouch - looks like we need to save up before we take her in. Good luck with Misty! - Karen
The prices sound reasonable. You can't work with information you don't have. I could've found you a dozen places where you would have paid double.
I feel your pain. Went through the same sort of crazy bills with my "boys" (ferrets).
I used to sell vet. pharms so hopefully it will make you feel a little better to know part of the reason they charge so much is not only overhead, but the fact they use the same equip. (and pharms) as medical doctors use for us. And we all know that's not cheap!
Better to get it taken care of sooner than later. Not to mention the relief you'll feel - well...until you get the bill *wink*. Your babies are so adorable!!
yikes!!!!!
Becky
I don't blame you, Bea! I would do the same for my dog, too! I would sell my home for her, I swear!
I hope everything comes out okay!!
{{{Bea}}}
Jackie
Your dogs are awfully cute. How can you put a price on that sort of thing? I guess the vets know that's how we feel about our pets and charge what they think they can get away with. I have a cockatiel and I can't go in Petco or Pet Supermarket without spending 30 or 40 dollars a visit! What ever it costs, I hope Misty is okay!
Best wishes,
Michael
http://tagworld.com/sketchingcastles
Post a Comment