This is not a good weekend to be sick... but then, what weekend is? I don't even want to describe what has gotten hold of me, but it has set me on my butt, literally, and the bathroom is my favorite place in the house these past two days. I figure it's probably a virus I picked up at school.
Job hazard for teachers. Especially when the students use the same keyboard that I do all my work on. I have those little bleach wipe-off cloths in the plastic container sitting near my computer, and I use them, but apparently, that's not enough to fight the germs the kids carry around on those little fingers. Ugh.
Handwashing is encouraged all the day long, mine as well as theirs, and teachers carry those anti-bacterial waterless soaps with them, and still, a few of the nastiest germs get through the frontline of defense. Ah me. Good news, though, it should be gone in another day or two.
My son, the future pharmacist, quickly assessed my symptoms yesterday afternoon on the telephone, and suggested I get some loperamide... what?? I asked. He told me to go on the internet to find out more (he encourages me to find out things for myself, like I did when he was a kid), which I did, and discovered that loperamide is the generic version of imodium, only a few dollars cheaper.
So, I called my husband at work and asked him to pick some up for me on the way home. But even before he got home, who should show up but my girlfriend! With a box of imodium tablets and a 2-liter bottle of ginger ale to settle my stomach. You can always count on your girlfriend to be there for you.
She had IM'd me earlier, and invited us over for an evening cookout, but I told her about my disturbance, and declined the invitation. Less than an hour later, she was at my door with the relief.
"You didn't run to town and get this, I hope," I said, knowing Steve was bringing some home in an hour.
"No, my husband picked it up for me on his way home," she smiled. I graciously thanked her, feeling very warm and loved at the moment.
I went to church this morning, risking the obvious. Things seem to be a little more under control today, but still feeling weak, stomach cramps, nausea... generally, unwell. Unable to eat barbecue or other typical Memorial Day cook-out fare.
But you know, I'm not complaining because I do have a bathroom in my house, and a bed to sleep in, and medicine to help me feel better, and friends to take care of me. I live in a country, where freedom is valued and promoted, where I can worship in the place of my choice, where many have died protecting that freedom, or trying to help others obtain it. So this Memorial Day weekend, I am not complaining about being a little bit sick.
The service at church this morning was emotionally stirring. Three of our retired military men came to church in their dress uniform, handsome and valiant. That alone gives me goosebumps. Standing straight and tall, saluting their superior officer just as they would in service, they made us proud all over again. There wasn't a dry eye in the sanctuary as one veteran played Taps on the trumpet.
All the vets were called to stand as they heard their military anthem played, and by the end of the musical tribute, seven men were standing, representing Air Force, Army, and Navy. We have a marine in our membership, but he is serving in Iraq. We pray for Jeremy's safe return.
Tears flowed and sniffles were heard as the ceremony proceeded. All of us remember someone who served our country, all of us know of someone who has died in service. Ceremonies like this are a necessary function to maintain the memories of our past, to keep the American tradition alive for our younger generations.
And thank you, Alyson and Mark.


12 comments:
Feel better! And hooray for your friend! - Karen
So glad you're feeling a little better... Stay well!
Nancy
Dearest Bea,
What a lovely tribute!Please get well soon! and get some neded rest! love you tons!
natalie
I was down a couple days last week with the same kind of symptoms. I had to stay home Wednesday from school and had to leave early on Thursday. The last day was Friday! Not a good time to be gone!
Anyway, I thought it was just some stomach flu bug going around, but I had some irritation going on that required a doctor visit and some meds. I was instantly on the mend. Thank goodness, I was getting tired of crackers and tap water tea!
Hope you feel better!
So sorry to hear your not feeling well. Sounds like a mighty fine girlfriend to me!
Church Service sounded lovely & very stirring, I dare say services like this were going on all over yesterday! God Bless our men & women who served.
Hugs, Sugar
Bea,
I hope you'll be feeling well enough to enjoy the holiday today. Prayers for your speedy recovery.
Love,
Gwynn
are you feeling better today?
Becky
Sounds like a very lovely service. I'd have teared up, too! I hope you feel better soon.
Pam
Our church always has special programs for the vets. It is so very stirring to see the men rise and stand as thier military tune is played. Hope you feel fit soon. - Barbara
I hope you get to feeling better, Bea! I imagine your little school children carry the same germs as the peeps in our ER do! Germs are germs and they are everywhere!
Nice of your girlfriend to think of you like that. It does make you feel loved, doesn't it?
God Bless America.. that's my mantra, not ony today, but every day.
Jackie
Hope you're feeling better.
Hope you're feeling much better now!
Lori
Post a Comment