It's been a couple of days since I last made an entry. I just hadn't counted on being so tired when I got home from school, nor that I would be getting home as late as I have. Lately, it's been 6p.m before I even walk out of the building.
The good news is that I will soon be moved into my new classroom. I haven't been able to take any interior pictures because I've been waiting for the previous occupant to move her things that she will need in her new classroom. It's been a difficult week here at our elementary school, with the moving, and teachers being half in their classrooms and half out, waiting for the final move. Which may take place as early as Friday morning.
Yet, the spirit of the staff is positive, hopeful, and high. Being the new teacher on the block, I am impressed with their friendships and their willingness to step up and do whatever has to be done to make the school run smoothly. Without complaining. Cheerfully, even.
I wondered if maybe I just wasn't hearing the complaining since I am one of the "new kids" here. It's possible there is something going on around me that I wouldn't be aware of if others were hiding it from me, but I have this intuition that they try to make things work here, even when there are sacrifices to be made.
I am pleased to be part of this new team, and today I had a good day. I am finding out the difference between teaching fifth grade students and first grade students. This year, I have a first grade group, a second grade group, and a fifth grade inclusion class. I've been teaching 4th and 5th grades for the past seven years. I had forgotten how much fun working with the younger ones can be.
But I can't lose sight of the fact that they aren't there to make me laugh and enlighten me with their innocent wisdom and wonder. They do have learning problems, and I am there for them, to find their strengths and to give them support where they falter, to help them find ways to overcome their processing weaknesses.
Tomorrow, I hope to have that special entry in place. It may mean that I'll be posting it tonight, or very early in the morning. If I don't get to it by then, it will be after school before I can get to it.


7 comments:
I can relate to much of what you speak of... These last two days of preparation, planning and reconnecting with colleages has been exciting and heart warming. This will be a whole new experience for me this year, as a partner and member of a team of third grade teachers. Walking in yesterday to smiling faces and warm hellos was so good for my soul! I'm so excited for the first day of classes tomorrow! (And thank goodness, my own kids have gone to bed with happy faces as well!) Wishing you a wonderful year! Michelle
Good job Bea! :):)
I hope your first das are welcoming and you can creaet anew sense of home there!
love,natalie
Well, good luck in there.
Good luck - sounds like it will be a wonderful place to work.
The best of luck to you!!!
hugs and love,
Joyce
Sounds like it won't be long till you will have everything in tip top shape! I can't wait to hear about the things you will start to teach them. Especially when it comes to all the tiny little wildlife you collect! :)
Hugs,
Jackie
I recall my days as a grade school student and the classrooms as they changed year to year. Instructing the younger students will be an enlightning change for you. Wishing you a great school year. I have a diagnosed spinal stenosis that is severe so I haven't been on the computer much. I am still attempting to work with my workier on constructing the addition over and around my kitchen and it is extremely difficult for me to do even light work. I am being referred to a Neurosurgeon but with my Medicaid Insurance doctors in Illinois have not been paid for a year. I am using my TENS electrical stimulation unit and going to physical therapy. If a Neurosurgeon can not see me there will be another course of treatment. I hope to get around to some journals this weekend. mark
Post a Comment