"How does my garden grow?" John Scalzi asks in his entry. With lotus flowers!
Not many, though.
I had written an entry about them earlier, but I didn't know how to add the big pictures then. I do now!
It's been years since our lotus plants have bloomed. I asked my husband why is that? He said this year he added fertilizer to the water. So this year, we had three lotus flowers. Two have already bloomed and died. The third is just about to open. I hope to have a photo of that moment tomorrow.
Some interesting lotus facts: they are native to Asia and North America, and have never been native to Egypt. I didn't know that until I started doing some research.
Also:
"...lotus have been cultivated by the Chinese for at least 4,000 years and untold generations of Native Americans have appreciated their value. (Lotus seeds remain viable for thousands of years.) Lotus tubers, new shoots, and seeds are all edible." from Hoerr Nursery online
I found that fact to be very interesting... that the seeds have been found to be viable for thousands of years. For example, in the 1920's, seeds from 1300 year old lotus were planted and germinated into plants. More details about that discovery by clicking here.
They need at least six hours of sun or more, need to be planted in water in a container or pond, they are durable plants, some species growing as tall as six feet, and pests seldom attack them.
I, however, have seen the ever present japanese beetles on their petals, those wretched pests.
It's undeniable beauty as a flower that rises from the mud of its origin has inspired creation stories in India. It is a Holy Flower to those of the Hindu faith. The Goddess of Wealth, Laxmi, sits upon the lotus flower, making it a symbol of purity and eternity.
I can only compare the status this simple flower has attained in Asian culture to that of the rose in our culture. The unfolding petals of the lotus and those of the rose both signify the revealing of the soul. In addition, the rose represents the unfolding nature of spiritual growth, the blood of Christ, and awakening.
In my garden, lotus flowers, but no roses. We have too much shade for roses. But somehow, the lotus flower found enough daylight to make her appearance this year.
I find a personal promise in the sign of the lotus in my own yard: that I will find enough light to be an effective, attentive, responsive, and supportive teacher in my new school this year.


4 comments:
I feel sure that you will be :)
Beautiful flowers!
Lori
Lotus Blossoms are one of my very favorite flowers! :)
Jackie
What beautiful pictures, Bea! And, you already are an effective, attentive, responsive and supportive teacher - don't put yourself down. I have seen how you work, and you work with fervor and enthusiasm. The kids at your new school are blessed to have you with them. We are going to be the losers!! Love Caroline
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure
wonderful Bea! we have a few of those int eh pond alos! theyare so lovely I agree!
hugs,natalie
Post a Comment