Tuesday, August 1, 2006

It's time for a Retreat!

I haven't spoken about this to very many people, but for those who know of what I wanted to do for a few days before school starts, I am going to do it. Today.

I'm leaving for a couple of days, headed for a mountain cabin, so I won't be making any journal entries probably until after Thursday. Where I'm going, there are no computers!

That is good, and that is bad, for I have gotten hooked on the internet and blogging. It keeps me from doing what I need to do most right now, and that is to be still and to get empty inside.

I'm going on what I can only describe as a spiritual retreat. It's hard to do that at home, so I'm packing up the car and Max, and leaving Misty to keep my husband company.

I've never done this before, gone on a spiritual retreat alone. I'm bringing my pens, my paper journal, some books, my favorite Bible, and sheets and towels. I've been wanting to do this for a very long time, but never knew how to explain this to my husband, who usually goes with me when we go on vacation. 

This is not going to be a vacation, not in the manner that we usually take one. This morning he gave me his blessing, of sorts, and so after my dental appointment this morning, I'm going to pack up and head for something I want ... time to be alone with God.

Have any of you done anything like this before? Where did you go and what did you do?

I'll let you know when I'm back.

Have a good week, and keep Diego Santiago in your prayers. He's slipping fast. His sisters and parents also need your love. See my previous entry for the details of how to read his mother's  CarePages.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAVE A GOOD TIME!!! REST, RELAX, & enjoy GOD!
Kneeling in prayer with you for Diego.
Blessings, Sugar

Anonymous said...

This sounds absolutely splendid...  Enjoy this precious time all on your own!  
Hugs and blessings, Michelle

Anonymous said...

Bea,

I truly envy people who can be alone, without any distractions.  That is so hard for me.  I need distractions or I feel like I'm losing my mind.  It has always been hard for me to just "sit still."  I am such an antsy person.  My mind and fingers always have to be moving! Always!  I think that's why I loved the ER so much!  Always moving.

I think what you are doing is a good thing.  I'm sure you will return feeling refreshed and closer to God for having gone on this retreat.

I am keeping little Diego in my prayers.  I just wish his suffering would stop... and soon..

Have a safe trip!

Hugs and love,

Jackie.

http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea - You've been reading J. Cameron's book haven't you? :)
I'm so happy to hear you're going for a retreat. I think you'll enjoy being able to hear your own thoughts and some R&R. Especially before the new school year starts. It sounds like it's going to be wonderful. I've never done something like this by myself, but would love to someday. I try to take a little time here and there when I can and just stay in my own thoughts or do something I enjoy, like reading, art, or just staying still. Have fun! Hugs, ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

dear bea,
wow well when I was yougn I went to you know church retreats
then I did do some mediative retreats when i was grown! theywere actually vey refreshing and strengthening!
ummm
you'll be gone aweek? Have a great time! is it beautiful there! I will think of you
love,nat

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope you have a wonderful retreat.
What a good idea.  Never have taken one alone.  Have taken my daughter for a retreat when it was time to talk about "the talk".  It was a spiritual retreat of sorts - a little presentation I put together.
I have saved your journal as a favorite so I can get back to it again.  I can tell I will enjoy reading it.  
Sonya

Anonymous said...

I've never done anything like that, unless you count driving up Mount Lemmon for the day.  I hope the experience is everything you want it to be! - Karen

Anonymous said...

Have a nice time!
Lori

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely great thing to do!!!  I wish I could do something like that.
You can only benefit from this "retreat".

Anonymous said...

Glad you are not ignoring His nudging.  I have done it.  Not that I packed up.  But as when Pete and the kids were at deer camp and I stayed behind alone.  -  Barbara