I dragged my feet this morning. I did not want to go in. What would I do? I don't know where my students will be, and don't have a list yet of who they will be.
The anxiousness of starting all over was doing a good job of keeping me away from what I needed to do: I needed to get to school. Officially I go back on the 21st. Unofficially, I'm weaning myself away from home and into school.
I made a rather lengthy entry this morning, which, if you notice all the links and photographs, took me three hours to complete. Then I found out from Sugar that Krissy intended for the entry to go in Monday the 21st, not this week... I wasn't paying attention.
Still, on Monday the 21st, I won't be blogging much since I'll be in school. Seems it was good to post it early. I can always leave a brief link next Monday back to this morning's entry.
On the way to school, I bought lunch at a fast food. I figured if I took the lunch to school, and ate it in my classroom, I'd be doing something there that felt comfortable. I needed to do something that was familiar and comfortable because the room is so big, and I'm not used to such a spacious classroom. Sounds weird, but I don't know how else to respond to it.
I walked around the building, inside and out, getting my bearings, making sure I knew where I was, and what was where. I walked across a small playground, and had a brief feeling that I had been there before ... probably when my son went to kindergarten there! Nothing else felt familiar.
I ran across a few teachers, and introduced myself. That felt good, talking to teachers about scheduling.
The men working on the new wing had left a small pile of broken and half sized pieces of purple tile in a corner of the hall. I asked one of the workers what they were going to do with them... he said throw them away. I asked if I could have them... teachers, always collecting materials for something, even if they are not sure exactly what they are going to do with them. We'll think of something cool!
Maybe tomorrow I'll have a file cabinet to fill, and I can bring some of my boxes of books and things, get things in place.
I'll bring the camera tomorrow and take some pictures. That might help me get familiar with my new classroom. I'm feeling better already.
How are you other teachers doing out there?


2 comments:
Oh, my goodness... I'm just not ready to go back. That probably sounds awful, but working with (wonderful) students over the summer made it seem like I never really had the break I needed to "refresh". I am looking forward to many aspects of the new year: A completely different position as a classroom partner teacher, working with all the kids rather than just one or two at a time, feeling like the kiddos are my kiddos, getting to know our new principal, seeing old friends that I didn't have the chance to see over summer... So, while I'm not ready for summer to end, I am hopeful for an exciting year ahead! I start work on the 29th, and the kids start on the 31st. Next week the other half of the staff (myself included) that didn't take Math Trailblazers in June will take the three day workshop to prepare for our new math curriculum. So off we go!! Enjoy the rest of your summer... the weekends will turn to gold again! ::smiling:: Michelle
I can't wait to see the pictures of your new classroom! I'm sure you will have one of the best ones in the school! You're kids are in for a treat with you Bea. The ones who are lucky enough to get you as a teacher will remember you for a lifetime!
Hugs,
Jackie
Post a Comment