So I have found a way to insert photos onto my journal page. But it isn't the way the instructions tell me to. When I follow the instructions from Joe's entry, I only get gigantic photos with no control over reducing them. I know, I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
However, I have found this other method, which took too long, but it got the results I wanted. I had to copy them into an email from my computer, then reduce the size of the pictures there by right clicking to get the little frame of boxes around it so I could resize it by moving the arrows in or out. From there, I could right click and copy on the picture, then come to this page, add entry, then right click and paste.
Next time I might try to go bigger on the size.
These shots of the Lotus flower in bloom were taken after I returned from my mountain trip. While I was away this week, the first lotus and the larger one of the two buds, bloomed and faded. My husband described it to me, and with chagrin, I accepted that I had missed the entire blooming life span of this beautiful flower.
However, the second bud waited for me, probably because it was in the shade more than the other one. Japanese beetles had begun to do their nasty work on the petals, but I managed to get one good shot of the flower opening. Still, the flower had already opened to its fullest earlier, and the above shot shows it on its way to closing again. Apparently they close with the heat of the day.
These were small blossoms compared to some lotus flowers, and we only had the two. But like I said in a previous entry, we have gone nearly seven years without seeing a single bloom. And now we have two. This gives me hope that despite the transplant they experienced this year (when we tore down the big pond), they are coming back healthier and happier than ever.
Might I draw a parallel conclusion as I face my own transplanting from one school to another this fall?
Looking atthe lotus flower as a sign, based on Denise Linn's book, The Secret Language of Signs, I find this explanation for the meaning of the lotus:
"This flower can be a sign of spiritual awakening. Just as the lotus rises out of the mud, you are coming up out of the darkness and into the light."
I feel like I am coming up out of the darkness and into the light. Which I find to be an odd feeling, because I'm pretty sure I came up out of the darkness back between 1995 and 1996. I suppose one could come out of darkness and return to it, only to emerge once more in another season. Yes, seven years of teaching might qualify as a season in one's professional lifespan.
Certainly backsliding, forgetfulness, and distractions all play a role in pulling us off the path we started on. I don't think that is as important as discovering the errors of one's ways, and getting back on track again.
That being said, I must face the difficult truth: that something has got to go, and it isn't just about sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, and dusting, nor about scrubbing the grime off the kitchen shelves and replacing the shelf and draw liners (although doing that certainly did free up some kitchen space).
I only just learned, as I found the website to link with her name in this entry, that Ms. Linn is a world acclaimed expert in feng shui and space clearing.
Feng shui? Space clearing? Wait a minute... I was only trying to clear my home of clutter because my life is feeling cluttered. I want to strip away the clutter from the house, to make a special place at least in one room where I can be still, away from the distractions of all technology, including the.... shhh!.... c-o-m-p-u-t-e-r!
Look, I'm not into this New Age ritual, and I'm sure that the indigenous cultures around the world have discovered great wisdom in performing their spiritual rites.... but.... cleaning out my house of clutter and space clearing seem to have very much in common. It will give me a sense of organization and order in my home and thereby, in my life... spiritual, professional, or personal.
There may be something to this Feng Shui... though I don't really have time right now to study it, and I'm not going to hire a Feng Shui consultant to clear my home space of negative energetic debris for me, "balancing and harmonizing the flow of natural energies in my home to create beneficial effects in my life." (words from Karen Kingston's book, Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui).
But there is no doubt... something is going to change around here. I'm not sure what that will look like, but I know it won't feel good.


10 comments:
There's no pics sweetie, just the little red X.
Sug
Thanks, Sugar... I will try to find out how to correct that. I apologize... I so wanted it to work this time... I really don't know what I'm doing here. Thanks for telling me. Bea
Sorry, Bea, but your photos aren't visible! Follow Joe's instructions here:
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2006/06/21/adding-photos-to-your-journal-with-aol-pictures-permalinks/1501
basically, one you have a photo that works at all, you can add a tag that makes it S M or L in size. Or youcan set the exact size theway I do off-AOL. Switch to HTML and insert this inside your IMG tag somewhere: "width=300" (or however many pixels you want). It will assume youwant the height to be proportionate but you can also do a height=500 or whatever.
Now to read the rest of your entry!
I can't see your pictures! I'm sure they are very pretty! Maybe you should try Joe's way.. :)
Hugs,
Jackie
Bea, I agree with you. There is a wonderful sense when one clears out space. I feel cleaner inside when my house is clean (which doesn't happen very often). I have wanted to clear it out these holidays (which is what we call being on vacation!) but haven't gotten it done yet. I know that I should get it done before the school year starts as it will make my own life a lot easier, and more comfortable. I can sense a spiritual difference with you. You have always been close to God, but I think that you are embarking on a wonderful journey with Him that is going to enhance and uplift you even more. Love, Caroline
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure
I deleted two of the pictures because it is so annoying to see those empty boxes. I left one behind for Joe to look at when he checks out my page. I will work on the problem again today. : - P Bea
I came back and did an edit by adding the aol pictures window since the entry does refer to the lotus blossom, I felt like at least you should see something other than an empty space with a red X.
I usually use Photobucket, so I don't usually have any problems. I guess I should learn how to do it Joe's way, too, huh? Less clutter in my house, less clutter in my mind......hmmmm........interesting concept. lol
Glad you got to see the second bud opening, at least. Have fun at your new school, and hope you have a great year!
Lori
Hi Bea -- check out my entry on how to use AOL Pictures permalinks -- it automatically generates photos of different sizes; you can pick the size that best fits your page, just by tweaking one letter in the URL:
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2006/06/21/adding-photos-to-your-journal-with-aol-pictures-permalinks/1501
Alternately, if you want to crop or resize really big pictures down to something manageable for your blog (say, no more than 450 pixels wide, which at roughly 72/pixels per inch, is about 6 inches wide), you can use MS Paint, or the free Paint.net program ( http://www.getpaint.net/ ), or even the free Irfanview program ( http://www.irfanview.com/ ) -- just resize them on your computer, then upload those treated pics using the File Manager (which you know how to do).
Thanks -- Joe
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/
Thanks, Joe, for the advice. I used it in subsequent entries, and as you can see, it works just fine. I also deleted all the white squares with red x's from this entry as they were a nuisance. The permalink feature worked great. Bea
Post a Comment