What were you doing on September 11, 2001?
John's Weekend Assignment #128: Share your thoughts about 9/11. You can remember back on what you were doing on the day or give some thought to how we think about it today. Thoughts personal, political or philosophical are all up for consideration. Tell us all what you think about when you think about September 11, 2001 .... Write it up in your Journal or Blog, and then come back here and leave a link ...
I was beginning my third year as a teacher. Those who knew of it happening did a very good job of not telling the rest of us. Teachers who had television sets were told not to turn them on. I didn't have a television set, so I didn't even hear that message. It was 11:00 a.m., as I walked to the lunch room, that I noticed an unusual number of parents or grandparents either picking up their children, or eating lunch with them.
I stood in line behind a woman whose granddaughter was about to eat lunch. She was a friend of mine from church. I asked her "Is it Grandparent's day or something? What's going on?"
She turned and said, "Bea, haven't you heard? Two planes crashed into the Twin Towers this morning..."
Try processing that kind of news coming to you during school hours, with no awareness that it had already happened.
"Oh my God!" I exclaimed. "What...? How...? What happened?"
"They think it was a terrorist action," she said nervously. Knowing this woman, I knew she was very concerned for all those killed, their families, ... the implications were too great, too difficult to grasp.
Shock. That's what I felt.
And then I started thinking of the thousands of people in the towers... I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
So I left the lunch line and nearly ran to the front office. There was a television set on, like I knew it would be. Whenever there is bad weather, it is on. This was bigger than bad weather.
I stared in horror at the screen. All I could see was a sky view of the city, and smoke, just smoke. I didn't realize it but by then, the towers had both collapsed.
"Where are the towers?" I asked to no one in particular.
A teacher standing beside me, her eyes riveted to the screen, said, "They're gone... they collapsed."
My hands flew to cover my mouth as the meaning of it all sank in. Tears filled my eyes. "No!"
She looked at me and said, "Bea, you can't tell the kids. Don't say anything to the kids. They'll find out when they get home. Their parents can talk to them about it."
When they get home? But some of them go to an empty home, alone until their parents return from work. They will turn on the tv to watch cartoons, and they will see it. The older ones will understand enough to be afraid. The younger ones may think it's just a movie. These thoughts went through my mind as I returned to my classroom.
I had a plan on what to say to them before they went home.
(To be continued....)


9 comments:
I will be sure to write about this in my journal when I have more time. The moment that I heard the news it was like the world stood still. It was just an eerie feeling; I had been in those towers and I had spent so much time in NYC. I love the city; my most favorite place to be. I can still remember everything about that day. I remember just sitting with my husband and crying and crying; because my whole world had changed in that moment. five years later and it still feels like yesterday. All those innoncent people who lost their lives; and their family and friends who loved them. It breaks my heart, still to this day.
Maria
I can remember that day, the exact hour I found out..where I was.. the whole thing.. as if it happened yesterday. So horrible, and so traumatic. I cried so many tears, and they didn't stop falling for weeks after the fact. They still fall to this day.
Looking forward to your next entry..
Hugs,
jackie
I remember just crying for days for those innocent people.
God bless America!! And Bless our military; fighting the people who did this.
I can remember as plain as day! What a sad and scarey day it was.
Bea...I was home that day....homeschooling my kids. I taped 6 hours of the news and still have that tape. I think I was taping when the second plane hit the twin towers. But I remember not letting the kids watch too much of it either. Hugs and GBU, Shelly
I was working 2nd shift and was still asleep when one of my friends called and told us what was going on. I woke up and turned on the TV to see what was going on. Then, when I got to work (Police Officer) everything was very different. It was the first time I remember people actually getting along.
Greg
Wow Bea! You're keeping em in suspense on what you decided to do!
my kid was soooo devastated that people would do this to innocent people and we coudl not stop it! chilling! I have written about it as well!
love,nat
I've also written briefly about where I was when I heard the news
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip
Your thinking was the way to go with the kids, not stick you head in the sand...and not even to let the other teachers know...Sandi...
Post a Comment