Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Do you enjoy traveling?

I'm actually tired enough to hit the pillows, but I know that if I go to bed now (it was 9:30 pm when I started writing), I'll be waking up when my husband gets up at 4:15 a.m. That's when he gets ready for work... he has a 45 minute commute to work.

I, on the other hand, have a ten minute commute to work. I don't want to get up at that early hour. It wouldn't be so bad if I could fall right back to sleep, and there was a time when I could, but for some reason my inner clock has changed in recent years, and after I've had about 7 - 8 hours of sleep, if something wakes me up, I have to get up or I will lie in bed awake until I do.

And there is nothing worse on a workday than waking up before you have to, and not being able to go back to sleep when you have another hour or more to do it. If you could <sigh>.

I have tried getting up earlier, just going along with the inner clock thing, but that means I'm at school by 5:30 a.m, and I'm wiped out by the time 2:30 rolls around. I need to be at school some days until 5 or 6pm, so getting there at 5:30 and putting in twelve hours is definitely not something I want to get into the habit of doing.

Which is I why I'm posting this entry... I'm too tired to do any serious work for school, but an entry like this (requiring no searches or photos to upload) I can do to keep me awake until it is safe to go to bed (so I won't wake up too early).

In response to the weekend assignment posted by John at By The Way:

Weekend Assignment #141: Do you enjoy traveling? Not the arriving and being where you're going, mind you; I'm asking if you enjoy the actual act of traveling from one place to another, by car or train or airplane or whatever. What I'm asking is if you enjoy the journey as much as you enjoy the destination.

Extra credit: Any more travel planned for 2006, or are you home for good for the rest of the year?

There was a time when I enjoyed travel, especially when flying. I'm one who likes the journey as much as, if not more than, the destination.

I do not like driving long drives that take more than four hours. A four hour drive out here will get me either to the mountains of NC or the coast of NC... and into Virginia, or into South Carolina. I can probably make it as far west as Tennessee. A good four hour drive, even if I'm drivng alone, is actually exciting and pleasant, providing I have no car troubles to deal with.

Anything more than that infringes on my mental comfort, and after five hours or so, I'm ready for a major break. Eight hours and I'm spending the night in a motel if I'm not where I'm supposed to be.

Traveling, whether for a vacation trip or to visit long distance family, feels different when I'm alone versus when I'm driving with my husband. I like traveling with him more now that we're older than when we were younger.

Then, he always rushed me, questioned my packing decisions, was always in a hurry to get where we were going, cursed at traffic, and was never in a good mood during the trip. Pets never accompanied us on a trip. Traveling was not his favorite activity. He treated it like shopping: go in, get what you want, and leave. That's how he looked at our vacations back then. More than twelve years ago he was like that. I seldom enjoyed our vacations because of all that rushing around to get there.

I like to travel slowly, take my time, enjoy the drive, make some stops along the way, do some side trips... you know, like when I shop: I like to browse. If I see something I need or want, I'll buy it, or I'll look around for ideas and new products... I like to look around when I shop, and when I travel.

But after a few health emergencies that occurred when he was in his forties, my husband began seeing things with new "eyes" and a new philosophy, you might say.

He hasn't rushed me in years, and I can't remember when he last complained about my packing luggage. He takes his time. He waits for me. He suggests we stop and look around, and he enjoys the journey now. He still occasionally cusses at rude drivers on the road, but not like he did back then. He doesn't mind it if we have to take our dogs with us. I even see him smile more often.

So, travelling with him has become more pleasant. But now our working schedules are in conflict, and we don't have the same weeks off, or we differ in what we want to do with our time off. We both agree on relaxation. My mind is in the mountains, his is at the coast.

I also like traveling alone once in awhile, like during the summer when I made that trip to a mountain chalet. I had never done that before, but I needed to get away ... really get away in a spiritual sense... before the new school year started. It was the best time I've ever had alone. Well, Max was with me for companionship and to be a watchdog of sorts. He's a great barker.

Also, when I travel alone, I don't like listening to the radio, except to hear weather reports or occasionally to catch a news report. The radio becomes like so much chatter to my mind when I'm reflecting on change. I like the silence when I'm alone. I think about things I'm trying to solve, or I'll try to recall a dream I had, or think of topics to write about.

Often, I will pray when I'm driving... for the safety of the drivers on the road, including myself. When I see an accident, I will pray for whoever was involved, and I'll pray for the safety of officers on the road, and the roadworkers. I ask God to protect them, and lead them safely to their families by end of day. I think that praying while I drive makes me more aware of my actions as a driver.

Do I plan on doing any more travel for the remainder of 2006? No, I'm home for the rest of the year, except for the family visit on Christmas Day, which is usually less than 2hours, depending upon traffic.

I like traveling as long as I get time to rest when I get backhome. I don't like coming back from a vacation one day and driving to work the next. I need some down time after traveling, and time to regroup and get mentally prepared for the work I do.

Do you like to travel? Write up an entry and leave a link here or in John's journal, or write about it in the comment section here.

Now, ... I think it's safe to go to bed!


Tags:

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im a SAHM and wish I could sleep in in the mornings, but still can't.   Lately I stay awake til 11:30 or so.  Thats not like me.  Sleep habits?????  I'll never figure mine out.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/     Tracy

Anonymous said...

Sleep well! (says your friend who seldom does so herself).

Anonymous said...

I hear you about the sleep thing.  You should try rotating shifts like I work.  I rotate through 4 different shifts, 2 weeks per rotation.  I never know when I'm supposed to be asleep, or awake.  I won't even get into being confused about breakfast and dinner.  Sleep well Bea.

Greg
http://journals.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea, Hi!
I will post in my journal!
i love the sounds of some fo those lovely trips that you two make! and driving is a lot more fun than flying huh?
Bea I love you! got lots of snow there?
ready for Chrismas as far as shopping/
hugs,nat

Anonymous said...

You can drive four hours and still be in comfort?  Wow!  Well I guess if you are taking it easy it is possible.  Praying is good.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/JoyToTheWorld
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading the changes in your husband...that was pretty cool....enjoying the journey....very nice....I prefer traveling alone...love music and nature...but alone is much better....I think I will drive my future husband crazy if he wants to come..lol....I will be like..OK, you can for a few days as long as I have some all by my lonesome.....

yah know I read the other day that if you have problems sleeping your supposed to count backwards...3,2,1....3,2,1.....they said if you keep doing that you will goto sleep....The numbers mean nothing but its the concentrating on nothing its what does it...I havent tried it but I thought I would throw it at yah... Iguess its like counting sheep...but without the sheep...lol...laughing..silly humor of mine at 2:30 am...-Raven

Anonymous said...

I hope you got a good nights sleep...I know exactly what you are referring to on the going to sleep too early.
Great answer on John's assignment...
On me traveling...nope, don't do much here...maybe someday.  
Many hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

I like traveling in "browse" mode as well...  That is always fun.  I haven't flown in years--I miss it--although, I know air travel is a LOT different now.  I'm not looking forward to flying this summer, but my destination will be worth it!  I hope you enjoyed a nice, restful sleep!  Julie

Anonymous said...

I enjoy driving on beautiful, sunny days.  I take along a selection of my favorite CDs and sing my fool head off!  I agree that about four hours is all I can take before I need to arrive somewhere!--Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind/

Anonymous said...

I love travelling, journeys are great fun. But my husband grumbles and grouches about it, a bit like yours I think Bea. Hope you had a good night's rest.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

I told this story in Chas Ferris's journal as he wrote about riding in the Packard with his grandfather long ago.    It is of one of the first trips I remember and we were heading from Joliet to Peoria IL.     My grandparents still lived on the farm in Princeville so I am not sure where our destination was to though they retired after selling the farm and did move into Peoria where several of my Aunts and Uncles lived.    We were in the 1947 Chevy and it broke down on the then main 2 lane highway in the summer.     Dad started walking for help leaving my sister and me and Mom in the car.    We must have been a little bit scared not having Dad with us.    As time went by some rural people stopped on the highway with little traffic and smiled and asked if we needed help and Mom told them her husband had gone for help.     That was a much different time when life was slow and people could be friendly without being wary of strangers.    Finally Dad made it back with my Mom's cousin's husband in a new T-bird convertible I believe.   The car was fixed and everyone was happy.    It must have been a major experience in my life as I can remember exactly what I was experiencing vividly especially remembering the people who stopped and were concerned about us.     mark

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/mtrib2/MarksDailyJournal
http://journals.aol.com/mtrib2/landscapeartwork
Or just click my screen name for links to my journals.     mark