Jackie was the first to suggest it, a few others agreed, but it seems I am not the only one who wants to know what horehound candy is.
And since it is late Wednesday evening and I'm feeling disappointed that "Lost" did not come on tonight (it was still Wednesday when I started this entry), but was consoled with a good showing of "Medium" instead (still not a great but an okay substitute), I'm going to address that question right now.
I've done a little searching you see.
One of the things I love about being connected. Not only did I do a little searching, but I managed to renew a subscription online to one of my favorite educational websites, watched Medium, emailed Donna (D's Designs) (during the commercials) several times about her beautiful, seasonal tags and to wish her well following her surgery, uploaded one snag with motion and one tag with snow... maybe you've seen the snow scene in my previous entry? I didn't have any luck with the motion using aol pictures, but was successful with hometown file manager (after I tried several times because apparently there was some problem with hometown link being expired. However Stephanie, 'BamBam, explains how to get around it until it is renewed.
Horehound candy...
Horehound is a common wildflower in our country and Europe, an herb, a member of the mint family. The botanical description of horehound can be found at WaynesWord, an Online Textbook of Natural History, but if you click on this link, you can read it directly.
Because its flowerheads have hooked spiny teeth at the end of each cup-like blossom, they are notorious for hitchhiking on the socks of anyone walking through a fieldof horehound. This little annoying trait makes it an effective seed spreader, resulting in horehound growing all over the United States.
Horehound candy is really a lozenge that some folks swear is soothing to the throat, which is why a couple of my readers suggested it for the laryngitis I endured these past two weeks... yes, you did notice I used the word had... I'd say my voice is about 90% recovered. Horehound candy also prevents dry mouth.
I found a recipe for horehound candy. Actually a couple recipes. Here's one:
Recipe For Horehound Candy:
1. Make a strong horehound infusion: Boil one cup of fresh leaves with two cups of water for ten minutes. Let steep for five minutes and then strain.
2. To make horehound candy: Use one cup of horehound infusion to two cups of white sugar. Place sugar in small saucepan and stir in 1/8th teaspoon cream of tartar, then add the horehound infusion. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then cook over low heat until it reaches 290 Fahrenheit degrees on a candy thermometer. [Or until a drop of the cooked infusion in cold water becomes a hard, glossy ball.] Pour on a buttered plate and score into cough drop sizes when it is semi-hardened. When cool, break apart into sections and store in a cool place until used.
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph37.htm#horehound
But you can buy horehound candy from a number of online candy shoppes. Here's one: Cousins Candy and also at The Vermont Country Store. I have never ordered from either of these shoppes, but just in case you wanted to take a peek at what horehound candy looks like, or might want to order some, there you go.
Well, now that I know what it is, I would like to buy some.
Horehound candy can be stored for up to two years, and I know I'll be needing it next winter... or even this winter as it has only just barely begun for us North Carolinians.
The only thing I don't like about it is that it sounds like it may taste like mint, and I don't really care for mint drops... I like mint-flavored gum, but don't know if I want a huge lozenge of minty freshness in my mouth for very long.
But I do want to try it. I find that many of the old-fashioned remedies actually do work. How about you?... do you use any old-fashioned remedy that really works?... it doesn't have to be for a cold or sorethroat.
What is your favorite old-fashioned remedy that really works? Leave a comment or write about it in your journal and come back to leave a link here.
Happy Thanksgiving All!!


18 comments:
I don't think I want to try horehound candy, LOL.
Hmmmm, an old-fashioned recipe that really works? Chicken soup!
Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink
For stress..chamomile tea. Bam
The horehound candy sounds great Bea. I am glad that you are feeling better and getting your voice back.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/
I have had Horehound candy and it has a taste I can not describe since it has been so long. It is different than mint though. I watched a program on how people found these natural rememdies as there is so many different plants, some of which are poisonous. They tried small amounts so if the effects were not good they knew not to try that one again. Just a simple method of trial and error. The American Indians knew of many remedies from having centuries of lore passed on which they also passed on to the settlers. mark
Yes, I've had horehound before and I am Native American and Hungarian. My grandmother tought me a lot of the Native American ways. When I was young, I had horehound, and to me it tasted like black licorish. :o)
Lisa
So pleased you are feeling better ,wonder which remedy you would attribute it to or did it just go the course ? A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family ...love Janxx
Bea, I am so glad that your voice is almost better. Thanks for explaining about the candy. Never heard of it before and I also wondered. I like minty flavors so I think I would probably enjoy it. I see one of the comments also stated that it tasted a little like licorice. I also like that. Have a blessed Thanksgiving, my friend. Love Caroline
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure
I appreciate your comments here! I'm glad to hear that it doesn't taste like mint. If it tastes like licorice, I would very much like that. Licorice is one of my favorite candies from childhood. It's been awhile since I've tasted licorice. Not something I'd go out and buy like I buy chocolate (in a bag: Dove, Hersheys, etc). I like licorice, in small doses.
In answer to the question which rememdy did I think worked for the laryngitis, I'd have to say it ran its course over time. The lemon and honey teas were soothing, the night time cold medicine helped me sleep, and drinking lots of water kept me hydrated. Speaking at low levels, without straining the voice, probably prevented any further distress to the throat. Stress probably was the culprit, as noted by one comment, and perhaps a cold virus.
Happy Thanksgiving! bea
Happy Thanksgiving, Bea - this entry was an interesting read
Yes, If my memory is correct, Horehound tastes more like licorice (?sp). not mint. It isn't a flavor that I would enjoy daily base but I can see how it would help a sore throat. I bought it one time on a trip to the north carolina mountains. So next time you head west, stop at a country store and you should be able to find it.
I hope you have a wonderful day with your hubby and son. We decided to stay at home too. We are going to have Thanksgiving at the Stamey's. Exhaustion doesn't make for a fun time so we have decided to stay home. No guilt allowed, right?
Alyson
Bea,as I come from South Africa,this herb is not at all familiar to me-and I admit I laughed when I read your title today! Who chose that particular name? Any history about that?Anyhow, I learnt something today Thank you! Shauneen
I wondered what horsehound candy was, and not sure I wanted to know all at the same time. I still say, not yelling at the curtain climbers is the best prevention for losing one's voice.
Greg
http://journals.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/
THANKS, BEA! I woke up with laryngitis this morning.. Must be something in the jland air! I am now on the lookout for this horehound candy!!
Hope your Thanksgiving was peaceful and pleasant!
Michelle
I love horehound candies!!!!
Becky
And there I was guessing it was a nickname for Brittnay Spears! Hubby is not home and I don't recall the name, but there is a tree around here they use for toothache. Results sort of like anbesol. And hubby swears when they got cut growing up, they simply packed the wound with clay. The grey kind.....not the red. I know for sure spider web helps stop bleeding. Used it on my old dog one night when she ripped her toenail off. - Barbara
Love you Bea! ((((Bea)))) Belatedly Happy thanksgiving!
love,nat
I used to love horehound candy when I was a kid, and it was easy to find in local stores. It is really good for you if you have a sore throat or laryngitis. I never really liked hard candy when I was a kid excet horehound. There is a candy store in my town, that makes it right there in the store. Here's the url for the store: http://www.schimpffs.com/index.html
Click on "Candy Store" in the side bar and about three or four down you'll see the horehound drops. Would you like me to send you some?
Lori
P.S. It doesn't really taste like mint. It is a very unique, hard to describe taste. A little bit spicy.
Lori
Post a Comment