And one more entry before I fall into the comfort of my bed this Saturday evening.
Kate, An Analysis of Life, has written an entry about 17th century diaries. It's interesting, and historical, as most of her entries are.
The reason I'm mentioning this particular entry is because at the end she poses a question to us. Here are her last words of the entry:
More about 17th century diaries in the next entry...
In the meantime, have a think about why you write your blog/diary. Do an entry on your personal reasons for blogging and come back here and leave a link. Are we all that different from 17th century diarists?
As it happens, I've already written an entry on the topic. If you would like to read it in its entirety, it is in the archives, October 8, 2005. If you would rather not bother, here is an excerpt from that entry, which answers the question why I keep a journal. When I answered, I was writing about keeping a paper journal, not the web version, which are different in content, depth, and purpose.
Here, the excerpt:
Thoughts are sacred. To write of them is a sacred act as well. When one writes of them, one has to lay them out first, as cards on the table, exposed, and regard them all, the good, the bad, and the ugly. One then tries to make sense of these thoughts, organize them, decide which ones to hold and which ones to let go, which ones to table for another writing session, and which ones demand immediate attention. The danger comes when something written is taken out of context. Such preliminary, organizational thinking can be misread or misinterpreted by another. Often the polished piece is never written. Meanwhile, the journaler has discovered the solution and implemented it in her life, which does go on, leaving some pages of the book unwritten. But the journaling itself is whatled her to the answer.
I suppose the thing to do would be to write one’s disappointments, fears, sorrows, and other disturbances on paper, then burn it. That solves the problem of privacy, doesn’t it?
However, the journaler has an agenda. A person on the course of journaling is trying to solve the great mystery of life, to answer the questions of life, unravel the knots of daily interactions. Every person is on such a course, whether they realize it or not. We are all searching for answers, and the quality of the answer can only be measured by the quality of the question. We each have questions that we are asking of ourselves, whether we send them out to the universal cosmos, keep them shut inside and never reveal them, or address them to God. They are the big questions: Who am I? Why am I here? What am I supposed to do with this life that was given me? Where will all this living take me?
But clearly I have not answered her question. I only wrote about why I write in my (paper) journal, but not why I keep a blog. The blog has replaced the paper journal for now... I don't know for how long I can stay away from my composition books and pens, for I truly love the act or process of writing.
Although, typing has its advantages, like the ability to have a clean piece free of errors, and the ability to edit at any time without crossing out or whiting out, what I miss most about the paper journal is my ability to draw in them. I can't draw in the blog. Oh, I can find cute and whimsical tags that others have created to decorate the webpages, but I can't add my own illustrations, my own creative response to something that moves me, unless I draw them first and scan them. I have no scanner at this time, so that is out.
And even if I could add my own illustrations, my own illuminations, is that something I want to open to the public?
Why do I blog then? Because, I think, I like having an audience! And I write differently for an audience. I like how I write when I know someone is going to read it. I think I'm a better writer when someone else is going to regard my words. And, there's the response factor. I am interested in what other's have to say about whatever topic I bring up. I like the interaction of blogging.
But, I'm not giving up the pen and paper journal!
I don't think we are so different from the 17th century diarists after all, except as bloggers, we do have the live audience and comment features which they didn't have.


8 comments:
I agree so much with what you have said....only you said it much better than I did. I love the interaction you get with blogging...instant gratification as it were...I think it helps me to be a better writer knowing that someone is actually going to read what I've written! (or at least I hope they will!)
Thanks for sharing!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
I agree with you, writing does improve when you have a potential audience. My blog helps me sort out what to do with my life. I write down my thoughts and have a discussion with myself about my next move! It certainly helps when you have a trauma to write it down and work it all out.Maybe we are not so different from Samuel Pepys after all. love conniex
Hi Bea,
You give excellent reasons. I have just done a follow up entry and linked to this entry in it. Have a great Sunday,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/
dear Bea
hugs!
Yes I read that in Kate's blog too!I blog becasue it is away I can learn from dear freinds and new comers here what they think about issues and people and trends in their life.
Thanks for posing the question Bea and Kate!:):)
And I really enjoy reading your blog and Kate;s blog so I;m hoping that yuo both will continue.
love,natalie
As much as I love having a blog, I do miss the days of pen and paper ( and long handwritten letters! )
Nice entry
Penny
http://journals.aol.com/penniepooh/pennys-pieces-of-ohio/
Good points! Writing is a form of giving to each other. I cant write on paper. My hand gets too tired..lol....I think blogging is what it is for each person...I wouldnt do it if I felt I would do no good..nor would you....Life is too prescious to give and find no arms....or in the case of blogging...heart to heart is very real...If anyone I regularly go by their blog had something horrible happen to them..I would be a mess....I wish I had spent more time a year ago but the caveman in me had its place for the season....-Raven
I love it! I blog for exactly the same reason. I, too, have kept paper journals for years but they were private, just for me. I'm one reader that definitely enjoys being a part of your audience!--Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind/
I have been scrolling down reading entries and stopped at this one to comment. I was one who wrote constantly, filled many journals. Oddly I always wrote in dialogue. I called my journals dialogues. I did a lot of dialogues to spirits then I became interested in telepathy and used the dialogues to connect to someone who was very magnetic but difficult to get to. There is always someone like that in your world, who has limited time, is perhaps married, but yet is a fascinating person you would like to talk to for hours I found that these telepathic dialogues satisfied my need to talk to that person when it was not possible and helped me to prepare to make the very most of our contact when we could have one. Strangely, in my world, most of these contacts were bisexual, carrying on more relationships than just the marriage. But they would usually be under so much stress that they were asking for help that you could not give directly. I would run into jealous even murderous lovers. Who guarded their time with them very fiercely. I thought this one man had almost been taken captive by such a man for years. His wife and children did not pose nearly the problem with communication with others that the lover did. I developed my communicating techniques to deal with what I found in my world. Gerry
http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/
Post a Comment