Monday, December 11, 2006

The Undecorated Tree

                                    

The season is upon us, and my tree sits undecorated in the living room. It needs lights, and the lights are the hardest part of tree decorating... for me. I wouldn't mind putting them up so much if I had cheerful help, but my other half does not like putting up the lights... or the tree for that matter.

For us, putting up the lights on the tree is very much like hanging wallpaper. We did that for the first time in our newly built home about twenty-five years ago, and came perilously close to divorce. I kid you not. Hanging wallpaper with your spouse is not encouraged, unless rules about who decides what is established well in advance. Much like playing a game. You must know the rules, and you must agree to follow them.

I didn't explain my rules to him, and he didn't quite explain his either, so with two separate rules to follow, we attempted to wallpaper our bathroom. I had my ideas about how to hang the paper, he had his. I had my thoughts about how to line up the edges of paper, he had his. I thought we should remove the floor trim along the wall, he thought he could do it neat enough without removing it. We both were at our wits end by the time the job was finished, and neither of us were happy with the results. Twenty five years ago.

We both agreed, happily, that all future wallpaperings would be done by a professional. That has been the one rule about hanging wallpaper that we both agreed upon and have adhered to over the years. I've been much happier paying someone else to do the job, and not having to deal with the disagreements caused by hanging wallpaper.

Hanging tree lights is rather like that for us. I have established my rules, and he has his rules. I like to take my time as I hang them, play some Christmasy music, make sure the strands are distributed evenly around the tree. I like using blue and white lights, or all blue, or all white. I like the little miniature lights. He likes to get them up asfast as he can and get it over with, he doesn't care about colors used, and prefers multi-colors. He doesn't like to put as many strands of lights on the tree as I do. In the past, we have gotten through the light-hanging mostly in a disgruntled mood, and that is not how I want to feel during tree decoration.

I'd do it alone if I could, but that is very difficult. My son used to help me when he was home. If I could just have a pair of happy hands to hold the lights as I hung them on the tree. Or I'd be the happy hands holding the lights while another arranged them on the tree without getting angry or frustrated.

So, our tree sits in the living room waiting for someone to decorate it.

I couldn't tackle it this weekend due to a horrendous headache that forced me to bed early each evening. Even now it threatens to disable me if I don't go to bed soon. It won't keep me from school, however ... I can endure all sorts of evil discomforts and still teach. Somehow, I can perform satisfactorily in the classroom when threatened with the option of getting a substitute, and having to write plans for her to follow. It requires more work on my part to prepare for a sub, and to find a sub, than it does for me to pretend I'm not ill and do it myself. This is not a comment against subs, but it's twice as difficult and takes three times longer to plan for someone else to teach my kids than for me to plan to do it myself. And when you are ill to begin with, you don't feel like planning for someone else to step in and take over.

I'm off to bed to see if I can get rid of the headache.

One day this week, I will get the tree decorated. <grin>

Thank you Donna for the graphic above ... I love it!

 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the tree. The situation you described with the lights and wallpaper is the same dilemma that used to face my ex-husband and I when it came to putting the tree in its stand. lol, whatever happened to Christmas cheer!

~Penny
http://journals.aol.com/penniepooh/pennys-pieces-of-ohio/

Anonymous said...

Your way of decorating the tree sounds just like mine!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/JoyToTheWorld
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Hope your tree finds it's lights on it soon. :)
Hugs, Sug

Anonymous said...

Okay so at the end of the year you need to do what I did..go to K-mart or walmart or where ever and get  a pre lite tree at 75 % off...i got me a nice Martha Stewart after Christmas..7 ft tall and nice price at 75% off...I put it up with the help of my daughter and I decorated with my 4 yr old...DH was not even in the picture...I also drug the heavy sleigh with reindeer made of wood to the front of the house and all the other decorations..he did hang christmas lights...not all of the ones I wanted....I always think we look like rednecks cause he don't take back in the boxes he leaves them there as well as what ever else he does out side...oh...I could write a book lol..have a great week..hope you get the tree decorated!  Hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

John gave up on wallpapering our library-in-progress after about five attempts. And I'm the one who almost always puts up the christmas tree nights - on Christmas Eve, as often as not.

Anonymous said...

Dear wonderful Bea,
hugs!
sweetie, I hope that thngs get better and someone near by(the neighbor up the street?a big kid from school?) comes over and helps you get yuor tree lit! I mean come on people!
umm I am Really sorry about your headache!
I have always heard that commetn about subs!
I hope that you can get enough rest so that you will feel better
sending prayers your way
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best with the tree...and understandable about the wall paper...hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya Bea, my lights have to be just perfect, all white, and at least 1000, no less.  My hubby & kid will help hold the strand but ME, MYSELF and I are the only ones allowed to place the lights.  Hope you get yours on soon!!

Anonymous said...

"So, our tree sits in the living room waiting for someone
to decorate it."

I know, decorate your husband's bed, then
tonight sleep somewhere else!

(Your admirer, Poster "Sugar Sweet" huh?  I bet.)
Bea, fly in the kids, even if they
are in Afghanistan in the Peace Corp
and have them do it.  My eleven year
old did the lights yesterday, willingly,
enthusiastically which pleased me no end
but P.O'd his mother no end; she kept
signally to me to "do something" as Son was
doing it wrong; well, yes, maybe, but fast!
and joyful looking if not 100% aesthetic.
It's true that last Christmas wife/mother did
a superb job and that is memorialized in photos
and stored on CDs forever.

Phew. And I NEVER give advice. Not on Tuesdays.

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
I know what you mean about planning for a sub.  When I was teaching, I, too, would rather drag myself to school with a fever than have to generate plans for a sub.  As for the undecorated tree, I think that you it upon the solution already.  Just like with the wallpaper, hire someone to help you decorate the tree.  With it being so close to the holidays, there is probably a teenager in your neighborhood that could use an extra twenty bucks or so for a couple of hours of his or her time.  If you are paying, then he/she has to hang the lights however and wherever you want them.  Or you could have a small tree decorating gathering.  Invite two or three of your single friends over to help decorate your tree.  Give them hot chocolate, cookies and Christmas music.  As everyone in J-land knows, I'm single!  I decorate for Christmas but I rarely put up a tree.  It's too much trouble to do alone and I hate taking it down after the holidays.  However, I have a good friend who invites me over every year to help trim her Christmas tree.  Her hubby sounds a lot like yours and she banned him from tree decorating years ago.  She invites a few of us over and we help her decorate the tree.  We have a great time and she gets her tree decorated.
Wishing you Christmas cheer,
Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind/

Anonymous said...

I can soooo empathize with the slowly decorated tree. That has been our story for two decades of living with Patti's progressing MS, my Cluster Headaches, Megan's growing up, and cats. Why cats? Because every year at least one of our cats is a climber and decides to live in the tree whether we have an artifical or freshly cut tree. That cat becomes the designated "UN-decorator" <grin> Lights are always the tough step because to the cat in the tree strnging lights is the ultimate game ... and I challenge anyone to get a cat out of a Frazier Fir. <GRIN> After a week, at least lights are in whatever pattern the cat has found fun, and some ornaments and up and down and up again. <GRIN>
Patrick

Anonymous said...

we got a pre lighted tree this year becuase I hate doing the lights nad not one helps but but everyone clmplains about how they look!
Becky

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about accomplishing something with someone else, thinking that things can go smoothly.   I have dealt with two different workers trying to combine my thoughts with.     In my case the two individuals are not the best case scenarios to depend on.      Anyway it became a power struggle.     My plans, in my mind, did not coincide with theirs.      At least now the current worker I have knows I am the one paying for the work and I will only hire him if things are going the best possible way.    My fault is not having a good plan on paper to follow exactly that needs no changes.    We have worked together long enough now that we share ideas with a common goal in mind.    You are so concerned that your students will have the curriculum to follow that is correct, that writing out the plans would be a considerable task for you.     I remember having replacement teachers that at times just made up their own cirriculum, or let us study with no instruction, like a study hall.    Hiring a professional is a good idea.     mark

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
please come and visit my 'pick your favorite song" entry:
http://journals.aol.com/lurkynat/Interface/entries/2006/12/20/caroling-through-jland/1322
Please leave mine at yours
and Sugar has hers up and Guido and leave your link at ours too!
hugs and love,natalie

Anonymous said...

I don't have a tree decorated in my room or even one up at Dirk's house yet even though we said we were gonna, we just keep getting distracted.  We need to do it this weekend.  His mom brought over a teeny tiny one and wrapped it in a huge white tree skirt.  Cute.  I'm so glad we you guys came to a happy medium about how to handle it.  Fortunately for me and Dirk, we are so compatible we are moving and speaking in sync, thinking the same thoughts at the same time.  I hope and pray it will stay that way for years and years.
Big hugs to you and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOUR WHOLE FAMILY,
P.S.  The story opened with no trouble at all in WORD.  THANK YOU FOR THAT VERY MUCH!
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/WISHINGANDHOPING/