Easter morning began with the sunrise. It was extremely cold despite the sunny appearance. I did not attend the Sunrise service, but I did get outside for this shot around 7 a.m. I was thankful for all the good in the world, and in my own backyard.
I met with my friends and their daughters, and we all drove to church for a beautiful Easter worship service. Our choir sang the Easter story, voices blending beautifully, a gift to all those who sat and heard them. We greeted each other with peace and joy, then shared Holy Communion. I love my church family! I love to worship with them.
After church, I drove to King, NC to meet my BIL and SIL, then they drove me to Mt. Airy where we met the rest of the family for dinner. This is the first time we have met for dinner on Easter Sunday in a restaurant. The facts are that this big family (6 brothers, 1 sister, all married, with children and grandchildren) has outgrown the traditional homeplace, and we are still trying out several options. One of them was to eat dinner in a restaurant.
This handsome young man is a soon-to-be family member. He's going to marry my niece in July. The young fella on the right is my grand-nephew, Ethan. Soon-to-be Uncle David is helping nephew Ethan get the gummy bears out of the ice cream. Yes, I think David will fit into this family just fine!
Not everyone could come, but those who did enjoyed being able to sit down at a table at the same time. I can't think of when we have ever been able to do this... possibly at wedding receptions and after a family funeral. Anyway, I have a feeling that most families have to deal with this. It's not a terribly big problem because it's family, and family doesn't mind sitting on the floor, in the living room, or just about anywhere there is space to settle one's backside. The family grew, the homeplace didn't.
The youngest family members are always fun to be with. It brings back memories of when our own children were babies. Here my SIL holds our grand-nephew, Kristopher. I have pictures of her with every baby born into this family. She is like everyone's aunt ... she loves them all. I don't think Nancy is happy unless she has a baby in her arms!
My niece with her husband and three sons. My goodness, I don't know how this young lady takes care of all three boys... they are a handful. But they are doing it, and though I spend very little, and I mean very little, time with them, my thoughts are with them all through the year.
I was surrounded by good-looking men yesterday. This handsomeman is my BIL and he bought my dinner yesterday. He didn't have to, but that is what makes him a gentleman. Thank you, Noah!
As we drove home, he asked me if I would like a tour of Mt. Airy (yes, NC), and I said of course. His wife works in Mt. Airy, so she pretty much knows the area. My brain must have been on sleep mode... I didn't make the connection right away... Mt. Airy... Mayberry RFD... Andy (Griffith) Taylor... you know?
So there we were driving through Mt. Airy downtown, and I'm saying "This looks just like downtown Elkin... actually it looks like Downtown, Any Smalltown, USA." As we passed a few buildings with memorable names like Snappy Lunch, Wally's Service Station, Floyd's Barber shop, among others, I said "I'd like to get a picture of that!"
Noah drove to where my SIL works, parked the car, and there across the street was Wally's Service Station. Well, I had to get a picture of that. I edited out the color to make it more old timey. Above I'm standing with my BIL, and below is my SIL. I could write an entry with more photos, but not today. Mt. Airy/Mayberry RFD report will happen another day this week.
It was a beautiful day. I enjoyed visiting with the family.Because Steve had to work, he couldn't go with me, but that is the way of things these days. He wants to work on his boat this summer, so he has to work now to make up for overtime he won't be putting in then.
Finally, one last Easter morning sunrise shot. I have often lamented that we do not have a good view of the sky. Tall pines and hardwoods surround our home, in close proximity to the house. Many of my friends have a clearer view of the horizon, and their view of the sunrise is spectacular. I have to settle for silhouetted trees. But you know, that can be spectacular too! Just look at those long shadows cast on our lawn.
It's around 7 a.m. when this shot was made. The sun has just risen high enough to brighten mine and my neighbor's yard. You can't tell it, but it was 28 degrees fahrenheit. Brrrrr!
So now it's the day after Easter Sunday, and I have some resting, relaxing, and recuperating to do. I'm taking my Sabbath today.


15 comments:
I know the problem of a big family, i am one of 21 first cousins, with just immediate family there are 13 children that includes 2 sets of twins, never mind us adults. It's lovely you got together over Easter though.
Jenny <><
Oh my goodness, Andy Griffith was my very favourite show ever, and since I bought the DVD's it's now Todd's!!! How wonderful that you got to visit the town it was based on! Can't wait to see the other pictures of it! Really enjoyed your account of your Easter Sunday and your time together with your family as well as all the photos. How wonderful. I did get to call my oldest son and hear my oldest grandson babbling away to me over the telephone. You are so blessed to live so close, but then...I don't need to tell you that! ;-)
Thanks Bea, for everything!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
Lovely pics! Looks like a nice time was had by all. And I really love your outfit, Bea!!
Nancy
Nice pics. Nothing like a family get together to brighten the day. B. x
Wonderful pictures. We can't have trees and sunrises/sunsets too. I love both but that is just the law of nature.
Sounds like a great Easter Day, Bea.
you live in a beautiful area so peaceful and nice
Donna In TEXAS
What a wonderful day it looks like you have had! I would love to visit Mt. Airy and Nancy sounds like me always with a baby! lol Love, Shelly
I love all the pictures. What a lovely way to spend the day!--Sheria
love the pictures, it sounds like a lovely easter. Thanks for sharing. Yes what handsome men.
You live in a lovely place! Mayberry. What a perfect time! - Barbara
Wow! Really, really great pictures, and what a wonderful trip! Thank you so much for sharing with us!
Lori
What a marvellous entry! Brava!
Encore! Wonderful use of photos too.
I'll have to come back and reply respond Comment
again. Can I double (triple) dip? Ha!
Barry
Beautiful pictures Bea! Sounds like your Easter was great! family and friends huh? wowee! wonderful!
love,nat
I love your home! My parents have a place at Lake Toxaway, NC. We used to spend our summers there. My family is from Tennessee. I was born in Chattanooga. I just adore NC & Tennessee! And ain't family great??!!!
hugs, sher (wunzuponatime)
Post a Comment