
A dear man has passed away, someone to whom I felt very close for many years. He left behind a loving wife, two children, and two grandchildren. I am going to miss him so much. To say that many people in our church and community are going to miss Ted is an understatement. What he gave to his community, church, family, and friends can not be replaced by any one man.
I will miss seeing him wearing his army uniform on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.
He always wore it so proudly, and we were proud of him, and the other veterans who stood beside him year after year.
I will miss seeing him the four times a year our church serves Community Breakfast.
He fried up the ham, and he'd be there before everyone else, even before me and I'd get there by 5:45 a.m. most times.
Those cold winter and fall mornings were the hardest for Ted because his feet would get cold. But he stood out there and fried up every last piece of that ham. Folks all over the county said our breakfasts were the best. I think it was Ted cooking the ham that made it exceptional.
I will miss his expertise and craftmanship when I prepare for Vacation Bible School. Ted was my first responder for VBS. Whenever I needed something technical taken care of, be it to construct the wooden frames for the backdrops of our sanctuary, or to hang a banner, Ted was the one who would do it. One phone call, and he took care of it. There is one thing everyone knew about Ted: he was a doer. He was involved in every aspect of our church, and in the community. A generous and loving man was our Ted.
What I will miss most is his presence behind me in church every Sunday. A sort of ritual developed between us, each Sunday. I would hug Ted just before the church service started. During the service, when the pastor invited us all to greet someone we hadn't seen all week, Ted would hug me a second time. I don't exactly remember when the two-hugs started, but I'd say it's been at least five years, maybe longer.
I hadn't realized how important the two-hugs had become to me until one day Ted wasn't there. I looked for him. I worried, and later asked about him, and found out he was just away that week. I had sure missed that second hug.
I saw him last Sunday, and he was looking quite well, healthy even. I hugged him as I passed him, and sat down in front of him like I generally do. Later, the pastor invited us to greet each other, so off I went hugging people, but when I returned to my pew, Ted was not in his seat behind me. I glanced around the sanctuary, and didn't see him, so I thought "He's on the other side of the room hugging someone." And I sat down.
A few seconds later, just as our pianist began to play a hymn, I glanced back over my shoulder, and there was Ted just about to slide into his seat beside his wife. He saw me, grinned, and abruptly stood up, stepping out into the aisle. I stood up quickly, and stepped back into the aisle, and we hugged one more time. Our second hug.
I loved hugging Ted. Sometimes I felt that it was my dad I was hugging, and he hugging me.
I didn't know that Sunday's hug would be our last. When I got the phone call on Monday, I was shocked... no, it couldn't be. He was fine yesterday. No, not Ted. I cried. Please, not Ted.
But we know that we all must go in due time. I heard once that God gives us life on this earth to complete a mission, and once we have completed it, He calls us home. I believe that Ted's mission on this earth was completed.
I can hear our Lord saying to Ted, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
But those two hugs won't ever be lost. On Sundays, I am going to remember Ted every time I hug his wife... twice.
He is away, but when I remember Easter Sunday, I can only feel joy in my heart that Ted has crossed over into the realm of eternity. My tears of sadness quickly turn to tears of joy for his new life.
Still, we, his family in Christ, will miss this wonderful man more than words can say. More than my feeble, searching words can say.
Rest in peace, my friend.


20 comments:
{{{Bea}}} a beautiful tribute. Sending good thoughts, prayers, and strength.
love ya
d
May Ted rest in peace...prayers for you and his family! Hugs,TerryAnn
How fortunate to have someone like Ted in your life! In your church. In your community. He must have been a blessing to others. For a child of God, there is no greater accomplishment. - Barbara
"I heard once that God gives us life on this earth to complete a mission, and once we have completed it, He calls us home."
I am sorry to hear about your friend Ted. He sounds like a wonderful person that I am sure made God proud. What pleasant memories you have to remember.
This is a nice quote too. As I try to make sense of the senseless tragedy at Virginia Tech, I hope all of the students and teachers that lost their lives are in a better place and that they were simply being called home by God.
I am keeping you in my thoughts, Bea.
That's a fine tribute to a good man. While you carry those memories Ted will never be far away. Sincere condolences to yourself and Ted's family.
B. x
What a beautifully written, heart warming, and loving tribute to your dear friend. I'm sure his wife would love to read what you wrote so freely from your heart, Bea..
Please accept my sincere condolances on the loss of your friend..
Hugs
jackie
What a wonderful commemoration to what sounds like a very special and much loved individual. You have blessed my life in sharing this, so here is yet another life who has been touched by Ted and his memory. Thank God for the knowledge we both have that this is not all there is and that an even greater treasure awaits all those of us who pay heed to the call. It is such a comfort to know that we can meet up with our loved ones again and that they are not really gone, but just gone on ahead and are awaiting our reunion. Missed but never forgotten.
Bless you Bea,
love,
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
We on this earth are the loosers......Ted is the winner! I'm so glad you are comforted by your faith. I'm so glad you know the real truth!
Thank you for making Ted come alive in my mind Bea. You write so beautifully. I shall look at it as him leaving this beautiful earth to make way for my new granddaughter who was born last night. So here in my mind he will stay. And so for me to think of his leaving in this way he did a last good deed here on earth for our family. What a wonderful special man you portrayed him to be. May God speed him home to heaven.
God bless his soul and his dear wife.
Jeanie
p.s.I always believe that as someone dies a new life is born. To hear of Ted just as my granddaughter is born makes me believe this more. J
What a lovely entry a tribute to a lovely man ...love Jan xx
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. He sounds like he was such a nice man. keeping you and Ted's family in my prayers.
Maria
Sorry to hear of your loss, condolences to the family. God has indeed prepared a special place for a special man.
Blessings,
Sugar
Bea, this is a wonderful tribute. It is nice to know that some people do actually leave so many others better off for having known them.
Patrick
I am so very, very sorry for your loss. You certainly wrote a beautiful tribute to the man. It sounds like he lived a very full, and fullfilling life. I know his wife will appreciate getting those hugs on Sunday!
Lori
Sorry for your loss Bea, Ted seemed to be a terrific servant of God.
Love you,
Liz in Va.
My condolences over your and Ted's family's loss. Your description of him and the closeness you shared was remarkable. I know his memory will go on in the hearts of the people that loved him dearly. mark
http://journals.aol.com/mtrib2/landscapeartwork
Ted sounds a dear man that has gone home, we have just lost a christian sister who was 94 and a great supporter at church and as we are all brothers and sisters in God's family now they will be together. On earth our Jessie was not married and had no children but in God's kingdom both on earth and in heaven she is rich in siblings.
You gave Ted a wonderful tribute.
Jenny <><
I am so sorry to hear about your dear friend, Bea. I read your entry with tears in my eyes. You have such wonderful memories of him - how blessed you are to have met and spent time with such a wonderful man. Keep the memories close - it is good to know he is with our Lord - waiting to give out hugs! Love, Caroline
Dearest Bea,
my deepest Condolences go out to you and your family, Ted's family and your church and community in loosing such a wonderful man.
Thank you for telling us about him Bea.
I hope that his deathwas not too sudden for your family and his.
My prayers go out to you
love,nat
God seems to have rewarded you with
stupendous energy in return for your joy
in life and appreciation of others.
Barry
Post a Comment