I just don't know where to begin.
First, I read Ravens Lament, Indigo's raging entry (rightfully so). She was writing in response to the federal indictment against Atlanta Falcons football player Michael Vick, who sponsored/ran a dog-fight operation on his property.
I am an animal-lover... I couldn't believe some of the things she said about this young football player/sports hero... not because she is a passionate advocate for animals/children/women, but because how could anyone do such a thing? Especially someone who is already living what many would consider a privileged life, a celebrity, and ultimately, a sports hero for children. I left her journal shocked that the sport is still thriving somewhere, and angry that someone young, healthy, intelligent,and athletic as this Michael Vick, who could do so much more with his life, has chosen to get his jollies from killing dogs.
Then, I read Russ's entry at Inner and Outer Demons... again, the anger and rage of someone who loves animals, someone who is caring for an aging animal... and he has written a response to the same horrid story. I do not follow sports news, but I had to check this story out, so I did a search. It didn't take long to find out what the indictment against this young man was all about. There is enough evidence to put his butt (and those of his associates) in prison.
I saw a video at YouTube, and thought at first to put it here, but it was too upsetting. Not anyone I know here would want to view it. But if you have never heard of dogfighting and cock-fighting, or don't understand the depth of cruelty that enrages us, here is the link to one short video (made by the Humane Society) that explains (graphically, but with compassion and factual information) the savageness of the sport. It's called Put An End to Animal Fighting: The final round.
Or watch the Pet Minute for a briefer version. There is a link to the video in the far right column on that page, where it says Watch the Video.
How could he (or anyone) do such a thing? What was he thinking? How does one grow up from a little boy, who probably had a pet or two, to become a talented athlete, who went to college, and became a highly paid football player for a popular team down south... how does one turn around, in the dark of the night, to do such evil to the most innocent of animals? How????
What kind of person enjoys watching animals fight to the death? I'm talking about penned animals... animals chained to their "dog houses"... animals bred, trained, and forced to fight. It's nothing like animals in the wild, where predator meets prey. That's a different kind of survival. I still have a hard time watching a lion bring down an antelope on a National Geographic video, even though I know that the lion has to eat. I feel sorry for the antelope. But dogs fighting dogs to the death... no it's not the same thing.
I look at my dogs' adoring faces... not just adorable... but adoring. They look at me like they adore me. I don't know if they really adore, but it looks like adoration to me. Their eyes follow my every move. They read my body language. They know when I am finished eating at the table before I even get up. They sense sadness, they sense joy... they express the same. They feel pain, and they have strong loyalty to us, their family. I can't imagine such a thing for them, or their distant cousins, the Pit Bulls, or for any breed of dog.
Where does this kind of thinking come from? Not just in regards to this one individual who has not even reached the maturity of a 30-year old man, but to all the people involved in this crime... especially the ones who run the operations? If no one ran dog-fights, there'd be no one to participate in them: no one to breed dogs to fight, no one to train the dogs to fight,no one to sponsor dog fights on their property, no one to place bets on them in the first place. At all levels, it has to be eradicated... at all levels, it is evil.
I'm guessing not anyone who reads this has anything to do with dogfighting. But it's possible that any one of us could someday hear of some suspicious activity. If so, you can help by contacting your local SPCA, Humane Society, and even the police. Here is a link to the Humane Society of the United States.
The good news is that on May 3rd of this year, President Bush signed the bill, H.R. 137, into law, which provides felony-level penalties for animal fighting activities. Which means if this guy Vick, and his co-horts are convicted, they could get up to six years in prison. For details of that report, click here.
I'm hoping that on the day Vick's team is scheduled to hit the field for training camp(July 25th or 26th), they will do it without Vick because, on that day, he will be appearing in federal court for a bond hearing.
The bond hearing is late in the afternoon. I wonder what his team managers and teammates will do that morning? Will they let him on the field for training? Wouldn't that be like showing your support for someone? I think they should not allow him on the field that day.
Innocent til proven guilty? After having read the 18 page indictment, I think it's going to be difficult for him to prove his innocence .


19 comments:
Of course being over here in the UK I don't know all the details about this particular player...however as I was reading my wee dashound was sitting by my side and I was stroking his wee head and I glanced down with tears in my eyes and told him how evil and that is the word, Evil some people can become. I sure hope he gets his just deserts and quickly and that anyone who comes in contact with him show their disgust at the kind of person they are looking at. LOve Sybil xx
For the life of me I just CANNOT understand animal cruelty of any kind. I feel that Animals are a gift from a loving God to us, his children, and we have a responsability to care for, love and nurture them. They ask for nothing, only to be loved and they give ever so much in return. I think that they should throw the book at ANYONE who is found to be aiding or participating in the cruelty to animals, famous or not, hero or not. They are no longer heros in my estimation. We have a Border Collie that we adopted from a rescue centre. She's a lovely dog. She had been abused by her former owner and whenever I look at her lovely face I am appalled at what cruelties must have been visited upon her when she was just a pup. It breaks my heart. If I spend the rest of her life and mine making up for what was done, it will never be enough. I really can't understand the mind of a person that can behave in that way...wicked, just plain wicked...
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
I agree the whole thing makes me sick!!! Hugs,TerryAnn
From what I understand, the Feds do not charge someone with a crime unless they have a solid case. I heard they have something like a 95% conviction rate. I still say that this man deserves his day in court. That is what our Constitution guarantees us. Once that's completed, and he has been convicted, I don't think six years is enough. This practise is just too savage.
This is my first visit to your journal. I'm sorry I haven't stopped by earlier. Your writing is expressive and concise, and I enjoyed reading. Take care, and I will be back.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
Dear Bea
I am unable to watch anything on animal cruelty as it distresses and upsets me greatly. I would only carry the images around in my head for way too long!
I have already commented in Indigo's journal about this issue as I was incensed by the information I read. It beggars belief at how inhumane a seemingly upright pillar of society can be. He clandestinely lived a dual life from the person he wanted everyone to see. As you say...'It's going to be difficult for him to prove his innocence'.
I hope anyone involved in this cruel 'sport' will now find their neighbours informing on them and we managed to clear them from society. ( Realistically I doubt this will ever happen.)
People who are cruel to animals are not fit to be called 'Human'.
Jeanie
I sure do hope that he is not given a light sentence just because of who he is!!
Becky
He is low life ,and deserves a prison sentence ..love Jan xx
Did you read My Beloved Furr Babies yesterday? We had an entry on it too.
Have a good weekend.
Sugar
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/MYBELOVEDFURRBABIES/
I had an entry on it too, but my j is private so I'm glad you're helping to spread the word. This makes me sick. Sent my call for his suspension yesterday. No one can make me believe he at the very least didn't know what was happening and that's guilty enough for me. hugs, ~ L
I think that such a high-profile individual should be banned from his sport for engaging in such inhuman practices.
I watched the video and it made me so sick to my stomach. I have two cats and understand what you are talking about when you speak of your dogs adoring faces. My kitties look at me with trust. When the trust is broken they are shattered. The animals need us. I think a society is only as humane as it treats its animals, its elderly and its disabled. Just a thought. This man is a creep as are the tens of thousands of others who participate in this so-called "sport". They have no "soul" as far as I am concerned.
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason
Do you figure the NFL has already distanced themselves
from this disgrace? Some wildly applauded NFL championship
games hve been a 'dogfight.' Too often the intent to injure is
all too apparent. I'm a long time fan - I rooted for Joe Namath! -
but when I grew up I stopped thinking it was heroic.
I'd very much like to believe that Vince Lombardi never
countenanced violence. You know what he said that I loved?
"Football is emotional." He DIDN'T say or imply it was, or should
be, violent.
Barry
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking this up as well. For each of us that spreads the word the more aware everyone becomes of this travesty. I've seen some of the footage you posted before on reports on the Animal Channel. It made me sick then and still does. This man deserves nothing short of being placed in a pen with a dozen of his own dogs to fight for his life. Yes, he probably wouldn't survive. But at the very least these dogs would have some kind of atonement for the life they where fed. Right now this is news to alot of people. I only hope they remember that this has been going on for a long time before this was brought to the forefront. It's something we all need to be reminded of from time to time. (Hugs) I'm sending an email your way either today or by tomm. definitely. Love Ya Indigo
I think it is a sick and in human thing to do and that they should be porsecuted to the extint ..
hugs
Sherry
I was horrified by this story, too. I come from a very rural county in Kentucky where dog-fighting and cock-fighting was very common when I was a child. For all I know it is probably still very common. I'm glad there is now a law that will allow much stiffer penalties for the perpetrators of this horrendous crime.
Lori
So many professional sportsmen think they are above the law. Our soccer players are frequently in the newspapers due to their behaviour.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard
Bea, this whole thing has me shocked and outraged. At first, I must admit that I did find it very hard to believe because I'm surrounded by football almost all year, and Michael Vick always appeared to be a step above many but then again, appearances can be and are deceiving. I also read the indictment and find it almost impossible that this man is not guilty. I hope the celebrity factor is thrown out the window. Chris
what I heard about what they do to the dogs is just sickening and I hope all is punished for this.
dear Bea,
hugggggggggggggggggggggggs!
I coudn't get my Aol! I finally go back! hugs!
Bea great entry and Big Congrats on your recent award!
youare an awesome friend and a geat person to know...
love,nat
Post a Comment