
Officially, fall will be here in a couple of weeks, but for now, it still feels like summer in these parts of North Carolina. I even saw some people swimming in their apartment complex pool while driving through Durham (to visit my son). Yes, it was hot enough for that.
We took him out for lunch, and enjoyed a chat of catching-up with each other's lives while putting away a plate of barbecue, cole-slaw, fries, and hush puppies. My husband and I shared a plate, not because it's cheaper that way, but because our appetites seem to be shrinking. We don't eat as much as we used to, which is a good thing since our metabolisms are obviously slowing down to keep up with the smaller meals. You just can't win! I can see why seniors are given a discount when they eat out. They do eat smaller meals.
It was a very nice visit. We laughed, talked about family stuff, school, work... very nice. Sometimes when I call him and ask him if he would like to go out for lunch or dinner, he already has other plans (between school, work, and a social life). But there are times when I call and he's free... and the two of us hop into the car to meet with him. He is doing well, and I was happy to spend some time with him, even if it was only two hours. They were two exceptional hours during which I delighted in hearing his voice, watching his face, and listening to his side of the discussion.
School went well this week. My replacement teacher arrives Monday! I called her Thursday evening to welcome her to our school and ask her if she needed anything to help her get moved in, but she assured me that all was taken care of. She is looking forward to teaching in our school, and excited about meeting the students. I've been talking it up with the students, too, to build up their anticipation of her arrival. I didn't want any of the younger ones to put on an act when they realize I'm not going to be teaching them every day. No pouting or acting stubborn, you know?
One of my younger students, a first grader, had a great idea on how to make her feel welcome and loved right away. He thinks I should buy some flowers and have them in my room before she arrives. He also suggested I buy them just before I get to school so they'll be fresh. What a thoughtful kid! I think I'll do just that.
Well, we did spend some time Friday painting a seven foot long banner that says "Welcome Ms. _______!" I decided to forego the usual reading and writing lessons and told them we were going to paint the banner and they were going to write her a welcome letter to make her feel good about being here. Each student (1st and 2nd graders only) in my class wrote their letters (with a little help with spelling), and then they painted (I drew in the large letters, they painted them in and decorated with flowers, bugs, animals, and their names). At the end of the day, I hung it across one wall of the classroom... it looks spectacular.
How could she not feel welcome? I'll spend the day with her on Monday, and then on Tuesday, I'm off to prepare for my art integration classes, which will begin on Wednesday... I cannot believe it's happening. Will someone pinch me, please?
If I walked into a strange, new classroom and saw that huge colorful, student-made banner with my name splashed across it hanging on the wall like that, I think I would feel like this school really wants me, and the kids like me already, right from the start. That's how I want her to feel. I've never met her before, but that doesn't matter. It's just the Golden Rule in action.
Well, I'm off to read my Sunday School materials. All this excitement about teaching art full-time has me pumped!
Oh, and I'll be thinking about the Weekend Assignment: what animal am I like? Will write about that tomorrow, probably.
Have a great weekend!
bea
and thanks to Donna (nightmaremom) for that lovely graphic. If you want one just like it, you can snag it here, or go to Donna's website and snag it there. I think you should go to her website first, if you have never visited her before. She has some great graphics for your journal.


16 comments:
That'd be a most awesome welcome! Who is this kid with the flower suggestions? He sounds like a future CEO! LOL
Russ
xxxxxx
That's a great way to welcome the new teacher. I think the flowers are a good idea too.
Good luck with the art classes, I know you're gonna enjoy them.
B. x
I'm so glad that you are going to get to teach art full time. It sounds a dream come true! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your artistic adventures with your class!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
Autumn is stepping into the picture her in England too Bea. Already the leaves are turning and the sun is setting lower each day. Still..we are having an Indian summer in place of the one we never had. <smile>
I loved the synopsis of your two hour 'plug in' with your son. Isn't it lovely to step back and admire the men our sons have become? You sound so proud of him and so you should be.
'If I had my life to live over..'. I would want to be a class teacher being welcomed into her class in such a lovely way as you have all planned. She cannot help but be touched by all yours and their hard work and ideas. It's just smashing to picture that happening on her arrival.
Enjoy your new budding art career. I look forward to seeing and reading regluar evidence of what is going on in class.
Take care.
Hugs
Jeanie xx
That's just like to you welcome someone in the style you have. I don't think your school realizes just how lucky they are to have you. (We MISS you!!) I know that the new teacher is going to feel like she's a part of the school the minute she walks in. ~ Caroline ~
Hope Gabrielle doesn't put too much of a dampener on your Sunday, Bea
Gee, I can't wait to hear
your selection of what animal
you're like. Frankly I thought
that assignment was over,
never 'getting' that it's
a "weekend" number. Maybe
I'll be another animal, sort
of two at once, schizo, ha
ha ha ha.... - Barry
I wish someone had welcomed me into a new class like that! In 42 years of teaching I never had that kind of welcome when I took over a new class. She is a lucky girl!! good luck with your art teaching. I am sure you will be great and the kids will have lots of fun with you! Love Conniexx
I'm so happy that you got some quality time with your son Bea.My sons are still young and already I mourn them leaving me :-) I'm thrilled that you're teaching art full time...you are going to be GREAT (I absolutely LOVE that bulletin board by the way!!!) I also believe as Einstein did!! Far too much emphasis is placed on academic achievement in schools and not enough on whole child education!! Your replacement is going to LOVE your kindness.You're soo sweet!
sounds like the kids are looking forward to a new teacher too.. not that they don't love you. :) I bet she feels warm and fuzzy inside, I know I would.
Enjoy your new class to my friend I know you've been looking forward to it.
hugs
d
I think that you and your students are very special and that new teacher will feel special too! Have fun with her Monday and Tuesday, and then have a great day Wednesday in your new classroom!
Lori
It's always nice to get a chance to catch up to our kids when they're away from home. Sounds like you did a wonderful job with the kids to help them welcome the new teacher and adjust to the change. (Hugs) Indigo
Isn't it so nice to visit with our children? I spent Sunday with Becky, my oldest, and my son. Becky is moving to an apartment closer to Pitt. I had to check it out and helped her clean. I know the new teacher will feel very welcomed with the banner and fresh flowers. The children are certainly getting excited also which will make it an even nicer start for her. Chris
I think by skipping your regular lessons to paint that sign, you taught your children another valueable lesson. If I were that teacher, I would feel very welcome. Good work, Teach!
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
You are so thoughtful; I'm certain that she will feel welcome! Pinch, pinch, you are going to be the best art teacher ever!--Sheria
what a sweet thing to do...and how thoughtful of you to take the time when you are in the midst of your own changes.
Marti
Post a Comment