Wednesday, September 19, 2007

First week... Joyful! Joyful!

She entered the classroom eagerly. They had all been so excited about their CSI class. It was to be their first art class of the year.

The teacher asked the student her name, and told her to lead the other students into the room. She heard the words "We're going to make a big circle in my room, so follow the line leader and come on in."

Wow! Look at the things on the walls. The teacher's voice spoke invitingly "Look high on the walls, look low... look on the bookshelves... look for works of art!" Then she put on some music. Many of the students' eyes lit up in recognition.... one of them said "I have that one at home."

Another said "I have that movie at home too!"

The smallest one raised her hand and said "That's the Lion King!" They danced around and circled the classroom listening to the words of 'Circle of Life' as they searched for all kinds of art.

The girl saw black and white pictures she had never seen before. When she asked about them, the teacher explained "I'm glad you noticed those prints.... those were done by a very famous artist named M.C. Escher. We'll be learning about his artwork this year."

                                                    

A little boy asked about the picture of the ice castle. The teacher told him it looked like it was made of ice, but look closer. She took the poster print down and let all the kids get a closer look.

                                                      

"Hey!" one boy exclaimed. "There's people there. That looks like Disney Land."

Another boy said no, it wasn't Disneyland... it was a big building, a castle or something.

"It looks like it's wrapped in shiny silver paper," he added.

The teacher told them he was right... two artists named Christo and Jean-Claude wrapped this building in Berlin, Germany. She said it took them 24 years to wrap it, and when it was done, they left it up for ten days. Then they took it down.

The teacher asked them  "Why do you think anyone would want to do such a thing? Why wrap a huge building like that, and take 24 years to do it?" The students thought about it and raised their hands.

"I think they just wanted to get rich and famous."

"Maybe they wanted to protect the building. Maybe there is a surprise inside."

"So that all the people will come to see it?"

"I think it's a stupid idea because it would cost a lot of money to do that."

She told them that they were all right, except the part about it being a stupid idea because in the end, the old building was made new again.

Then she asked them "Is this wrapped building a work of art?" They had to think long and hard about that one because it wasn't like a painting, and it wasn't like a statue. And it wasn't even about the building getting built. It was just a wrapped building, like a big present. Some of the kids thought it was art, and some of them didn't.

They talked about respecting each other's work, and not making fun of eachother's work, that each one of then is an artist and they each have their own way of expressing their feelings and ideas through art. Kind of like when you write about what you think, except art uses a different kind of language.

Art is a language.

Other students raised their hands and pointed to art on the walls, asking questions like "What is that?" or "Who did that?" They talked about one painting, a mother cat and her two kittens, noticing that the artist must have really loved cats to paint them like that. And those Indian masks way up high on the wall. "Are we going to make them this year?" No, that was a fourth grade project. Someday they would be fourth graders!

There were books with pictures on the cover, and clay sculptures. They were all interested in the insect collection. Were they real? Were they alive?

One kid asked "Are we going to paint in here?"

"Yes, but not today." A few kids clapped their hands, and their quick glances at each other assured the teacher that they couldn't wait to get started.

But alas, it was only their first week, and they had already used up 15 minutes of their 35 minute class time. There were only fifteen minutes left so she let them draw with markers, color pencils, and crayons for ten minutes while she made a seating chart... with seven hundred students, she would need some way to keep up with each class.

            _________________________________________

That's somewhat a picture of how one typical class went this week. The kids were all so excited... they remembered CSI from last year. Most asked about Mrs. S... some kids told me they knew why she wasn't here. "She's retired!"one child said knowingly. I explained their former teacher's new position far away in another school. They wanted me to tell her they missed her and hoped she likes where she is. They love her very much. I'll probably email her some pictures soon.

Eachday I've pondered the upcoming weeks, the future projects, the numbers of students, the supplies I'll be using up. There is a lot to do, but I love being the one to do it! I've come across some things I hadn't thought about before... like keeping all those colored pencils sharpened. I don't like it when the kids sharpen their own pencils... they break them too easily. I gave them a lesson on proper use of pencils and erasers... but I did a lot of sharpening this first week.

My greatest challenge has been getting one class out and being ready for the next class to come in... with five minutes or less in between the transitions. I will definitely need to plan activities that use similar materials across grade levels to help reduce the preparation time between classes.

The first week went well... I learned how to 'doggy paddle' this week.

I will learn some new strokes, so to speak, next week. It will be like entering a swim meet. The pace will change. I'm up for it.

I've got my flippers on and I'm diving in!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are well on your way to working out the kinks in your lesson plans, and will be proceeding much smoother in no time.  I thnk your kids are very lucky to have somebody that is as excited about what they are teaching as you are.  It will help them to keep their enthusiasm up.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're off to a great start!  How cool!

Anonymous said...

"Joyful" is SUCH the perfect word for this entry.  I love Christo too because he's such a madman!  Art is so much more than paintings in a museum.  :)

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry Bea!  I can feel your joy and Iwould love to be one of your students.  They are very lucky indeed to have you as a teacher!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I loved this entry I was as excited as the children, thanks for sharing it with us.
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

You described that first day so well Bea that I held hands with the children and joined their 'Circle Of Life'.  And what an eyeopener that was for me too.  I remember teacher's like  you when I was at school.  They expanded my way of thinking by leaps and bounds. Congratulations! And very well thought out.

Jeanie xx

Anonymous said...

You sound as excited as the kids. And isn't that just how it should be?
Great entry Bea.
I love Eschers work.
B. x

Anonymous said...

Holy Art! what a powerful arts
machine you have all cranked up there!
& Oh the work!  It's amazing and dizzying.
Those lucky, lucky kids/students. Already,
in a flash (as if!) those children are off to
a long-jump-record stide in life, with a
willingness to contemplate the out-of-the-ordinary.
Those little/big minds are gonna expand, take, in some cases,
the excitement of learning and of self-expression to
amaze and delight their parents!!
Brava! Bea!

Barry

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are off to a good start, Bea!  Your kids are in for a wonderful year.. because they have such a creative and awesome teacher! :)

Hugs
jackie

Anonymous said...

Glad you are excited and up for it!  It's the kids who will benefit from that.  -  Barb ara

Anonymous said...

What an exciting week you've had, Bea. Art was one of my favourtie subjects in Elementary School, and how I used to wish that those classes were longer. I'm sure many of your students will feel the same way. Looking forward to more of your entries this year. Congrats!
Always, Rose~*

Anonymous said...

Guess your lil turtle flippers stood you in good stead then LOL !How wonderful it was to read this delightful entry! I know exactly how you feel, Bea! It's awesome to be a teacher!I LOVE never having to work a day in my life, if you know what I mean :-) You are a treasure for our future generations!Well done!Love, Shauneen

Anonymous said...

I love the way you wrote this, such style! I am totally entranced by Christo and Jean-Claude silver wrapped building. I've read about and seen photos of some of Christo's other projects but I missed this one. How intriguing to spend so much time on a work of art (I'm in the group that thinks of it as art) and then to essentially destroy it. Of course, beauty is transistory, so perhaps the artists wanted to convey that idea. I want to be a student in your art class.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

How far I may have gone had I had you for inspiration when I was a child and my mind was fresh.  Still these things make my spirit jump just reading this page.  It has encouraged the childlikeness in me to look through those eyes again.

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/

Anonymous said...

I knew it!  I knew you would be perfect for those kids and that you would love it.  I don't know if they realize how lucky they are to have you there - nourishing a part of them that not many children usually get nurtured. I don't think there are many schools in our school system that are able to give this opportunity to their children. I can feel your excitement brimming over and this can only pour over the children and benefit them. You go girl! ~  Caroline  ~

Anonymous said...

Bea, I would love to be a student in your class.  You are one amazing teacher who actually creates excitement in learning.  I think the wrapped building is fascinating.  You are also teaching JLand art appreciation while you are teaching school.  Can't wait to hear more.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Your lessons sound exciting and inspiring! You sound as if you are really enjoying you new position as i/c of Art. Keep up the good work,

Anonymous said...

Oh, Bea, what a great entry!  I think I want to be in your class, and I sure do wish you were one of Eler Beth's teachers!
Lori

Anonymous said...

I love the way you hook the class. I 'had' to go to NYC when Christo and Jean-Claude wrapped Central Park, just to see what their work was all about.
Patrick

Anonymous said...

this was a wonder-filled entry. Your kids are lucky to have you!
Marti

Anonymous said...

Dearest Beatrice,
what a wonderful article!
Thank you ever so much for all of your inspiration!
love,nat