Monday, September 24, 2007

NCCAT Seminar/Vacation

I'm going on a vacation this week. Right in the middle of the school week.

Well, not really, but it will feel like one.

It's a five day professional development seminar for teachers, compliments of NCCAT, that is North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teachers. I had heard about it back in early July, and had applied to it right away. They sent me a letter in early August welcoming me to the Culowhee center. It is a privilege to go, and teachers can go once every three years (unless they are National Board Certified, in which case they can go every year, but I'm not NBC).

Not only is this a highly professional teacher seminar, which is at no charge to myself, but they also pay for my substitute teacher, mileage, and take care of room and board during those days. Most seminars are not free to teachers, and they don't offer to pay for the substitutes we need to cover our classes while we are away. This is truly a wonderful opportunity for any teacher grades K-12 (or school psychologist, school social worker, school nurse, school counselor, or media specialist).

Best of all, the topic of the seminar is perfectly related to the nature of my position as art teacher. It's called "Celebrating Diversity through Art." There will be an Indonesian Shadow puppet making session one day, and we'll be learning how to script an Indonesian folktale into a play... something we can do with our students in the classroom.

Then, we'll look at the textile traditions and weavings of Central and South America, as well as learn how to weave on a simple loom... I'll be making a Bolivian chuspa (that's a small bag to carry cocoa leaves if I lived in Bolivia, but I can use it to carry money here in the States!).

I think the highlight for me will be when we learn about Cherokee history, and make a Cherokee Gourd Mask. I'll be able to bring it back to my classroom, show the kids, and who knows what inspiration may spring off from there? I can imagine.

Another favorite workshop for me will be the one that features Aboriginal art... I'll learn about Aboriginal Bark painting and boomerangs. I'm going 'Down Under' without leaving North Carolina!!

One morning will be used exploring the Mountain Heritage Day Festival, featuring authentic Southern Appalachian folk arts.  And then an afternoon viewing a selection of visual arts from Africa.... I'll be crafting my own sculpture using my own cultural heritage as a starting point.

All of these things and more are on my itinerary. It just about takes my breath away, that I am being given this time away from the classroom... so I can be a student again. All the teachers I've known who have already gone to an NCCAT seminar have come back completely rejuvenated and inspired to do more in their classroom, to be a more improved teacher. It has renewed their vision of teaching. I'm sure it will do the same for me.

Don't worry, my kids are in good hands. I've got a great sub and she came highly recommended. I'm writing my plans for her tonight. She will have fun being the art teacher while I am away, and the kids already know her.

So I'll likely come back with lots of pictures and a few stories to tell. And certainly I'll have a plethora of ideas to bring into the classroom... our students will benefit.

I don't have a laptop, so I won't be blogging, but then I don't think there will be much time left over at the end of the day for anything except retiring and sleeping. I'll check in here when I get back. Love to all!  Bea

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a good time!
Sugar

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a very cool trip.  Enjoy!

Russ

Anonymous said...

I know that you will make the most of your NCCAT experience. Enjoy!--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great opportunity, and fun too. I know you'll enjoy it and take the best from it.
B. x

Anonymous said...

Oh Bea,  what a wonderful week you are going to have. I can hardly wait for you to come back and show us everything.  Mary and I are back from South Africa and had a fabulous time so much to see, what a diverse country that is. MOr ein my journal soon.  Love Sybil xxx

Anonymous said...

What a great opportunity, have a great week

Mary

http://journals.aol.com/maryajacobs5/grand-tour-of-america/

Anonymous said...

I know you will have a great time while you are there.  I remember the times that my Mom went, and it was one of the highlights of her year.  I think she went three times...at least that I can remember.  She made some great friends through the seminar, and have kept close to several of them years later.  Enjoy!

Greg

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))Enjoy your vaction.

Anonymous said...

North Carolina must be making
history with such splendid nurturing
of its teachers!  What an opportunity
for you! And, what fun!  To be
acknowledged must feel really
terrific! Congratulations. I'll
miss you, groan - ha ha ha ha ha
Revive me plse when you return.

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/

Anonymous said...

sounds exciting I thought the school districts paid out all that money wow you have a great time
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

What a terrific opportunity, Bea! Will be anxiously waiting for those pictures. Have a great time.
Sincerely, Rose~*

Anonymous said...

It all sounds quite wonderful Bea.  I am sure your students will miss you as will we!  Can't wait to see all the pics and hear about your adventure when you get back!  Safe and happy trip!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

sounds great Bea! I look forward to hearing all about it. We do not have residential courses very often in Uk and if we do we have to pay for ir ourselves! Love Conniex

Anonymous said...

    Good luck. Especially where you are located, I would think that anything they could teach you about the Cherokee would be great. Native art work is wonderful, but I would think it would mean more being so close to a Reservation. Have fun
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Oh, Bea, how exciting!  I can't wait until you get back and share your pictures and stories.  What an opportunity this will be and what ideas you'll bring home to share with you students.  Hugs to you, Chris

Anonymous said...

Wow!  How exciting for you!  I hope you had a great time and came away with a lot of things you can use this year!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Well.. from the date this entry was written, I know you have come and gone to your seminar, and now I will go and read the next entry to see how you fared! :)

Hope it was a good time, as well as a learning experience for you!

Hugs
Jackie
http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/

Anonymous said...

wow that is too cool! love,nat