Monday, September 3, 2007

Who said this?

Why am I not teaching art this week since school started a week ago?

Some of you may be waiting to hear how my first week went. It went well, but I continue to fill the position of a Special Education teacher until my replacement arrives. I'm still thinking and working like an EC teacher, and will be until she gets here, next week.

In the meantime, I can't help but be absorbed by planning for the art classes, at least perusing and studying possible subjects and lessons for the classes I'll be teaching.

I am very excited, which is why I haven't been writing much lately. I'm in two classrooms every day: in the one I am teaching reading, writing, and math to Kinders, 1st, 2nd, and 4th graders, and after they go home, I return to my other classroom to continue fitting in whatever planning I can do with the time allowed.

So, tonight, while browsing through one art integration book that I brought home with me, I came across my #1 favorite quote of all times. You may have read it before in my journal, but it's worth reading again....

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."

Do you know who said these words? I'll tell you in a minute.

About ten days ago, I had to put up a bulletin board in time for  the Open House. All teachers have been assigned a bulletin board, and mine was in the front lobby, right by the front office. Lots of traffic there. What message could I put out there for everyone to see? I wanted it to be a welcoming message, but I wanted it to say a little bit more. And I wanted it to be freestyle, you know, with minimal purchased materials, or none at all.

Usually when teachers put up bulletin boards in their hallways, it is to showcase students' work. Whatever they are working on that month, you will see it displayed on a colorful and pleasing bulletin board, student and teacher made usually. I've seen many crafty boards over the past eight years, and it amazes me how they come up with new ones every year, and how fast they can put one up. But school hadn't started yet, so there was no student work to put up there. I would have to improvise with some kind of "welcome back to school" message.

I haven't done very many bulletin boards, due to my position as EC teacher. I've done maybe one a year. That's not much of a record when you consider that most teachers put up a bulletin board every month. So I'm weak in that department. You'd think it would be a strength, me with an art background. You'd think I would enjoy doing them, for the same reason. But nay on both accounts. I don't know why.

Except this year. I was tired when it went up. But I would not leave the school building until I had it done. I wanted to add that quote above... part of it... to be part of the text, somewhere. The board would also say "Welcome to ..School.." and that's all my imagination was able to come up with at that moment. I couldn't think. I was tired.

So out came the brushes, the pencils, the oil pastels. Out came the fabric and wire butterflies I bought last spring at the dollar store. Up went the bulletin board paper (yellow) and the trim I borrowed from one teacher's personal border collection (a rainbowof colors, wavy paint border). I brought from home my acrylic fabric paints, ... you know, the kind in the pointy tubes... you can write and paint fine lines with them, glittery colors, shiny, bright, sparkly shades of pinks, blues, greens, golden orange, and white.

As I stared at the great (about 4 ft by 6-7 ft), blank, yellow bulletin board in the front lobby of the school, two other teachers came to keep me company, to take a break at the end of the day, and to share their ideas. I brainstormed even as the hot glue gun heated up on the little lamp table by the comfortable lobby furniture, where each of them found a seat. Observant teachers that they are, they recognized my need for some inspiration, and despite their own need for a mental break, they helped me out, calling out all sorts of phrases that might work.

Then one shouted out "Welcome to ..... where imagination takes flight!"

That was it! It worked well with the imagination quote, and with our school's vision statement. Once I had the words, I was able to put all those pieces together: the butterflies, the art utensils... I hot glued it all to the board. Added some little foam butteflies and dragonflies, squirted on lines and swirls of glitter and color, and I had a board that reflected imagination taking flight. I hand painted the words in italics, and used cut out letters to write the Welcome to.... .

The quote was added in small print on a card explaining the purpose and meaning of the board, a requirement for every bulletin board. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and add it here. I know that's a bit anticlimactic, but I didn't think to take a picture of it all week.

It has been a great starter week.

Oh, and the author of that quote? Albert Einstein, physicist.

 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait to see your bulletin board. You know that you had me hooked when you started talking about all that wonderful color. Congrats on getting assigned the bulletin board in the front lobby. I think the theme was just perfect to welcome parents and children to school. Now, go to bed!--Sheria

Anonymous said...

And imagination is more important than abilities or "talent".  I love it when people just create art without worrying about what it looks like.  My favorite art is made by non-artists.

Here's another quote:

"a blank page is a crime"


Russ

Anonymous said...

Hey, thankd for visiting my Journal---"Sharing God With The World". I really like the way you have set up your Journal. Very Well Done!!  Imagination is indeed the key to all progress because it allows people to think outside of the box. Nice entry.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful teacher you are....Can I come toyour school ? please?  I have never seen such a thing as these bulletin boards  don't think they have them here but it sounds such a good idea. Mind you I expect our teachers would complain about even more work !!  Have a lovely week.  Love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

I love it when my imagination takes flight!   That's what gives me the butterfly feeling when the 'Muse' visits me.   Its as though my soul has wings.  It's pure escapism into another realm.  Lol!
I'm looking forward to seeing your bulletin board Bea.

Jeanie xx

Anonymous said...

I wish we'd  had more teachers like you when I was at school. I can only remember about three memorable 'good' teachers, (plenty of bad ones) and that's quite sad really.
Well done with the bulletin board. B. x

Anonymous said...

Bea......... that's awesome  take a picture will you?  I'd love to see it.. sounds fabulous!
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great welcome!!  just had a conversation about how knowledge is not all book learning!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Graphic arts exist in our house
through the near ceaseless drawing
on paper (reams of paper) by Michael
age 5, and Patrick age 6.
After they complete each masterpiece, ha,
it's usually cop cars, trucks, helicopters,
trains and other machinery (I MUST get
them on living things!) all is delivered to me
with their instructions on which rerlative to send
which drawings. Lately Micheal has been using
colored paper and scissors, so maybe he
isn't quite so 'violence' prone as I feared.

Me, a graphics dummy. But, mercifully,
school and imaginative (!) teachers are
just around the corner, literally and figuratively,
so I will support them in supporting
their fine teachers, God Bless all of them,
especially bgilmore!  You're a 'peach' as
they used to say in olden days.

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/


Anonymous said...

Albert Einstein...hmmmm....love it.  What I love the most is that a scientist can think like an artist.  You woulnd't think that would mix but my Becky is a microbiologist and also a pretty accomplished artist.  I absolutely love the quote.  I never felt I was good at art but had a huge imagination.  Art takes many forms.  Bea, you are a wonderful teacher!  I'd love to see that bulletin board.  Have yourself a good day.  Chris

Anonymous said...

I love that quote! I wrote it down to keep with some quote material and books I keep on hand. I love writing and there is no end to the material to write about, but sometimes you do end up with blank canvases in the mind. Glad to hear yours worked out so perfectly. Can't wait to see a picture of your board. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

fascinationg and very imaginative and informative
I can tell you love your job. I look forward to all of your entires.
Love
Marti

Anonymous said...

I am not imaginative enough to teach art.  Even in children's church, when it come to art....I have to rely upon things made up by others.  - Barbara

Anonymous said...

    Great quote. Assembling bulletin boards won't seem so daunting as time goes on. You'll get used to do them once a month, and will even have them planned out well before hand.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Reading this post was so timely for me. I have been an artist / art educator for a LONG time. Since I am an artist, I did artist residencies and artist-in-the-schools gigs for the first years of my career. In 1993, I became an "official" teacher. I earned my art certification and followed up by getting a special ed certification. For the past 15 years, I have been an art teacher at a special education school for severely emotionally disturbed students.
The reason I thought this post was so timely is because it helped me to remember how excited I was to start this job. There are so many great things about being an art teacher. It is very hard, but despite challenges there are moments when the pay off is overwhelming.
I am so glad this is happening to you. I know you will make a great ART teacher.
If you ever need any "old" art teacher advice, feel free to email me at wizzlewolf@aol.com
Here is my teaching website:
www.wizzlewolf.com/ep.html
If you see anything you like and want to know how to do it, email me!!
Great good luck to you!
Sheree Rensel
Artist
www.wizzlewolf.com

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many comments that board generated from Open House visitors??
Lori

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you will have nice co-workers. That's a big plus. You also sound very prepared and very dedicated. It will be a new adventure fo r you.
Marti