It's been an amazing two weeks since I returned from NCCAT.
All the classes are deeply involved in their individual projects. Kinders are finishing up their watercolor rainbows, first graders are about to finish their oil pastel apples, second graders are almost done with their oil pastel grapefruits, third graders are about to begin their foreign Country projects, fourth graders are about to complete their structured line doodles, and fifth graders have begun their cave art work for the Cave Man Art Gallery that will go up (somehow and somewhere) just after Halloween.
I laugh at myself trying to keep up with the transition between classes. I'll have to admit that the kinders are teaching me the most. They are the most courageous and delightful kids I have ever worked with. From them I am learning to be more patient, to appreciate the simplest of things, and not to rush through life. They find the greatest joy in watching their water turn colors when they clean their brushes.
For five year olds who have been in school for just about a month, they are picking up the essentials of classroom behaviors in a timely manner. For instance, sitting at their desk, listening for instructions, following directions, lining up, cleaning up... they are learning my routine very well. I have never thought I could be a kindergarten teacher because the kids have so much to learn about the classroom environment alone, not to mention the reading and math preparations: my respect for them (kinder teachers) is very high.
My greatest challenge has been to get the room cleaned up for the next class in less than five minutes! I have found that the kinders are the best floor cleaners... when I tell them to check the floor for dropped brushes, paper towel trash, or just anything, they will pick up every thing they find, and proudly offer it to me. And because I am grateful to them for doing all that bending over (which they can do with greater ease than I), I thank them with great flourish and cheer.
The good news is that I am 'getting the hang of it.'
Today in Sunday School I taught the lesson about Jesus and the ten lepers (Luke 17: 11-18). I knew what I wanted the kids to get from the story, and they did, but I didn't realize what I would get from teaching it.
Jesus healed ten lepers that day, but only one came back to thank him for it, to praise God for being cleansed. It reminded me that I haven't really thanked God for giving me this day that I live in right now, the day that the Lord has made.
I am grateful that this year I've been called into teaching art. What is most remarkable about this is that when I first considered a teaching field back in 1996, I had not thought teaching art would be a practical choice since most schools were not hiring art teachers at the time.
I had no idea that in my ninth year I would be granted that opportunity. There was no clue or hint along the way that such a move would be possible in our school system. Even as any of us were unaware, events had taken place over the years, putting into play what would result in the position becoming available, and finally made known to me. I can only know them in hindsight. That is often the way of life's turning points.
I thank all the people who made it possible. Right here and right now: THANK YOU!
But mostly, I thank the Lord for His part in my life, for my life, for making it possible to do things that I thought were impossible, for letting me see what I did not see before, for being the lamp at my feet... I am grateful to Him for this great renewal.
If I am to be one of the ten who was cleansed, I want to be like the one that went back and fell flat on his face at the feet of Jesus to say "Thank you, Lord!"
He knows the words of my heart. I say "Thank you, Lord."


14 comments:
The joy that you feel in teaching your classes comes through loud and clear in your words. All of the projects sound wonderful and I hope that you will post pictures of some of the results. Luke has always been my favorite gospel. Perhaps because when I was a girl, I read an account of his life called "Dear and Glorious Physician." I believe that the author was Taylor Caldwell.--Sheria
Well...I'm not a religious person, but I am big believer in showing gratitude....and a big believer in not getting upset with those who forget to show it.
Russ
I have always found it amazing that when I have to teach a lesson I always end up learning far more than the students! It's the same when I get assigned to give a talk. I am sure it's God's way of telling me that I need to know something!
I think you are a fantastic teacher. I wish I had had more teachers like you when I was at school. You are inspiring. You don't write on here nearly enough, although I am sure it's enough for you!
Have a great week!
love,
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
So glad to see you back, I was just beginning to worry about you as I had missed your cheery writings. So happy for you that all is going so well. If it had been possible 40 plus years ago I would just loved to have trained as an infant school teacher...I can think of nothing more wonderful than being confronted by a class of 5 year olds all eager to learn and getting them in just a year to be able to read, write do maths...what a priviledge that would be.....
Disabled youngsters don't know how fortunatle they are nowadays that doors are opened for them that we could never have dreamed of. Much Love Sybil xxx
Its good to see you hear, and it sounds like your students are having a wonderful time with what you learned on your course
Mary
http://journals.aol.com/maryajacobs5/grand-tour-of-america/
You are certainly being rewarded in your 'New Job' Bea.
I love watching out for the 'simplicity' of life which sometimes eludes us in this modern age.
You are getting chunk size bites of childhood all over again but seeing it through and adults eyes. Such are the true qualities of life you get to see daily and to work with too. What a wonderful job you have!
Jeanie xxxx
You seem to be getting as much from this class as the kids. That's nice.
B. x
this entry took me exactly where/how you feel---renewed!
my son started his kindergaten this year and he loves it.
From reading this entry, I can see your heart and mind is open to learning and understanding --from five years olds..I think that's amazing!
Gem :-)
Teachers have my total respect. That's
why, for example, I love Lee Strasberg.
His son David learned from the Master and
carries on at the Strasberg Institute in LA.
My son Michael, aged five, must have a
superb Kinder teacher because she has
tamed him! No kidding I feared in the
beginning he'd break her and get kicked out
which would have put us in a pickle. How
could we afford a private teacher? No way!
She stamped the back of his hand which
Michael proudly showed me when I picked him
up. A week later I sent a note of thanks,
plus my account of Mark in his car seat
singing along with Beethoven. The
following day she actually smiled.
Barry
I have so much admiration and respect for teachers like you! I am so glad that this year is turning out to be what you wanted it to be!
Lori
I know I always received the bigger blessing when I taught children's church. Glad your new year at school is on track! - Barbara
Really sounds like you are in the midst of a whirlwind of activities, Bea. Those children are sure lucky to have you as their teacher. For some reason, I always found that when my daughters were younger, they would be much more helpful with being neat and tidy. Now, they are so busy with their own lives that somewhere along the line, I've absent-mindedly ended up picking up their share. :::SIGH:::
What an amazing entry!
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
Dear Bea,
you are so amazing in all of your classes!
love,nat
Post a Comment