What do you do when you are between the ages of three and seven, and you go visiting on Christmas Day to Great-Grandma's house, and she lives out in the North Carolina country-side, surrounded by tobacco fields, cows, and wide open fresh air?
First you eat dinner even though you really aren't hungry. All the aunts and great-aunts have brought delicious home-cooked country foods, so you take a bite to be polite, but what you really want to do is open Christmas presents. There's a mountain of them on the floor around the little tree. It's your favorite part of the day!
Then, you run outside with your brother before the rest of the family shows up. There's a hayshed outside, and huge oak trees just beyond the backyard. You walk around the hay-shed, play in the hay, and crack open acorns to find out what's inside them.
Then other family members show up, more cousins, more presents, and someone calls you inside because it's time to open the presents. Adults take pictures,...wrapped boxes and tissue filled bags are passed about, ...some are laid in your lap,... there's lots of talking and questions, and there's a bunch of hugging.
Not long after, you and your young cousins run outside to play in the sunshine while the adults clean up the mess inside and talk. You like playing with your cousins, but you haven't seen them in so long that you've forgotten their names. Names don't matter when you are having fun. You call each other "Hey" and "Little Boy".
Finally, all your great-aunts and great-uncles hug you good-bye, and get into their cars and drive home. Some of them live very far away, so you won't see them probably for another six months to a year. You go home and ask your parents about your cousins and your great-aunts and uncles who live so far away. You wish you could have spent more time with them because they really liked being with you and talking with you...
The video I made this week, to mark the transition from one year into the next, carries with it a message to our family, but the message certainly goes beyond our family alone. I think it illustrates what's happening to families all across the country. We are moving apart from each other.
Moving away from one's family is not a bad thing... we want our kids to grow up and move out, to begin their own lives, raise their own families. This means that we have done a job well done as parents.
Yet, we don't want them to forget their family connections, their history, their responsibilities to family. We must keep in touch. For the sake of the youngest members.
It becomes harder and harder to do as our children become parents, and we become grandparents, and our own parents become great-grandparents .... the family keeps growing. And it will continue to grow long after we are gone.
What are we leaving behind for the ones who will live on without us? What words can we give them that will help carry them into their future without us? What memories of us will they cherish, what will they tell their little ones standing on our graves? Will we even be a glance in their thoughts?
Memories aside, what values can we impress upon them in the short moments we have together? Even if they don't remember who said what, or even who did what, at least we want them to remember the word, the deed, the moral of our story. They will know what country they live, the name of our planet, and even the names of some constellations and galaxies... but do they know the roots of their family, and their faith? Make those family times together significant, uplifting, encouraging, hopeful, and meaningful.
This video reminds me that my role in this family is not quite completed!
I hope you enjoy it. It's about 7 minutes or so long. Pour yourself a cup of hot tea or coffee and set a spell.
We have been apart too long!

Thank you for visiting.
May 2008 be for you a year of positive change and growth, of growing up, of forgiveness, of family and friendship, of Faith, of moving forward (even if only a little), of service of the heart for someone you know who is in need, and giving love to someone who is suffering in loneliness.
Happy New Year!
Bea
Tags: Family, Christmas Day, Mary Did You Know, Jingle Bells Rock, Blogplugs


27 comments:
great video!
becky
What fun you all had. It is so lovely to see real famlies together so seldom in these days.
WISHING YOU AND ALL THOSE YOU LOVE A VERY VERY HAPPY HEALTHY NEW YEAR WITH THE GOOD DAYS OUTNUMBERING THE BAD.
love sybil xxx
Bea, this was totally wonderful and brilliant. I have to tell you that the end totally blew me away. My favorite song and so unexpected. Love, loved it! Happy New Year! HUGS Chris
Your video is actually quite a display of family fortitude, Bea, thanks for sharing
Loved the video!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Sugar
what a wonderful heartfelt video you put together. It showed celebrating the meaning of being a family.
Happy New Year!
Gem :-)
http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/collage/entries/2007/12/31/2007--a-year-in-review--/1769
Bea, what a great video. Chris and I are in Miami, and our kids are in Massachusetts.... Thank GOD for the Internet, pictures, Email and these great ways to keep in touch when we can't be together. Happy New Year :)
Marilyn In Miami FL :)
Such brimming over energy, sweet smiles
and living with gusto! Ah youth. I suppose you'll
send copies of this to the various family
branches. Don't know how hard that would be to
engineer. Brava!
Barry
Wonderful posting and Video Bea
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/
You are right, it's good to be connected and stay in touch. I think these days more and more families get seperated by distance. So many move further away from home than they used to. Once church and family were the main social events in many lives. Now there is a full calander of things demanding time and attention. So the way we stay connected may change, has changed. But it's still possible. Still worth the effort. - Barbara
(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))Beatiful video.
Beautiful sentiments hon! So very true......I have 5 siblings who don't know who I am, I've spent my entire life protecting them. It's my gift to them......but someday I hope to leave each of them a legacy of the truth. For now I have Doc's family and that's enough, I help him remember. You have a wonderful, loving, huge family. Thank you for sharing this, for a few minutes I was able to share your life and joy. (Hugs) Indigo
Bea, I love this video! The children's joy and laughter is so contagious. This is a beautiful tribute to the love that is family.--Sheria
Love the video,
Happy New Year to you and your family
Yasmin
Bea... your video is awesome... the message even better. Thanks for sharing and reminding us. Happy New Year!
love ya
d
Everyone on my mom's side of the family is dead except my aunt's illegitimate daughter. I lost my only copy of her contact info, and don't even know her name. That upsets me. I don't want her to think I'm not interested in finally making contact.
My dad had four sisters, two of whom are dead now. There are a bunch of cousins and so on, but I haven't seen any of them in over 30 years. Heck, I've only seen my brother ince since 1985, and that was for my mom's funeral. So be glad you can still connect with family, Bea. Not all families are like that any more.
Karen
Out of three kids, I'm the only one who moved more than a hundred miles away. I was the only one who didn't feel "the bond of blood". Still don't, but I'm fond of a few of them.
xx
Russ
Loved this entry Bea. It is a very important message to us all. I would give anything to have what you have. A family that lives close enough to each other to be able to reasonably get together like that from time to time. We do that when I go back to Canada for visits, but I don't get to go near often enough. I live in hope that one day . . .
Hope this is a wonderful year for you and I look forward to more visits and more wisdom from your page. Happy New Year!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
Nice work as usual Bea. What a great way to put your message across.
Happy new year to you and yours.
B. x
This was truly a meaningful, important entry Bea, and rings true in my own siblings case, we haven't connected up properly and are drifting out of each other's orbits. I enjoyed this post, read several sections a few times. Thanks for your insightful advice, I wish my sibs would take it. xoxo CATHY
you give me much to think on
Marti
From the video it looks like the Gilmores had a great time and made some wonderful memories. I really enjoyed this entry. You are so right about families moving apart (physically, that is) and not getting together like they used to. When I was a kid most of my aunts and uncles and cousins lived nearby. We all grew up together. And families were so much larger then as well. I love that my kids like to know about the older ones in their families and the ones they never met. They like going to the cemetary where most of my ancestors from both sides are buried and hear me telling them stories. Many of the stories were told to me because they're about people I never actually met. You did a great job on the video and on this entry.
Lori
That was fun to watch. A very happy and healthy New Years to you and yours. I think if I want to pass something along to children and grandchildren, it would be to live proudly, decently and with love.
I find it funny how things have changed in this world though. My husband's family is from Pennsylvania. Not only has his branch of the family moved to Illinois, but other branches have moved to Ohio, Maryland, etc. They hold a family reunion once a year in Pennsylvania. Of course we can't make it every year, and neither can anyone else. A few years back my daughter became acquainted with some of her cousins. They exchanged email addresses and kept in touch for a while after the reunion. Just lately she was contacted by three of the girls she met. And she was able to catch up and she was happy to do it. I don't think they would have the opportunity if not for the internet.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
Bea thankyou for dropping by my joirnal ~ I really have enjouyed reading yours and will be back ~ Ally x
Really enjoyed your video, Bea - such a close family you have. Those little ones were soo darn cute, too. Amazing the technology we have now to preserve our family memories. I'm sure everyone will be pleased to see it. Thanks so much for sharing!
Sincerely, Rose~*
Wonderful video!!!! Yes... may 2008 be good for all!
be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/
That was the quickest 7 minutes I have ever spent. Really enjoyed that!! Thanks for sharing.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
Carolxx
Post a Comment