I received this picture in the email today. You can click here to get the larger image. You might want to see it enlarged after you read what I'm writing about.
When I first saw the image, the e-mail repeated the words that are printed at the bottom of the image: "All done with a single stroke of the pen."
Wow!... it's done in one continuous line. That means the pen is never removed from the paper from beginning to end. The artist drew without stopping, without dipping for more ink. Without blotting, without error. The line begins at the tip of the nose and ends at the final, dangling, curly line. One long, unbroken line from beginning to end. I was impressed. But I didn't believe it.
Yeah... I doubted it. My first thoughts. The date on the image reads 1884... there is no way this picture could have been drawn with the single stroke of a pen unless it was fountain pen or other continuous ink flow system. Quill pens had to be dipped repeatedly to complete such a lengthy line. A feather quill pen could not have drawn this picture. Weren't quill pens, or other dip and writing implements, pretty much the only pens being used at the time? I didn't know for sure.
I searched and found many pictures of drawings done in one continuous line, even paintings painted with continuous line, color changing, but the line unbroken. But how could this drawing be done like that in the days when people were mostly writing with quill pens and/or fountain pens that worked poorly?
I thought it was one of those false reports, a hoax of sorts, that is sent to us by friends and family who think we'd just love to see this photo or read that story. This one caught my interest as a teacher and a lover of writing... of one who loves to write with a pen. Especially fountain pens.
I'd been researching the history of pens for one of my classes this week, as a matter of fact. I had cut the quills of four large feathers into what I fancied were writing utensils... quill pens.
I had found two videos on the internet that showed me how to do it... a lot harder to do than I thought.
I had found articles with pictures on how to cut and shape the nib of the pen into something that would write. I had read articles about the history of writing utensils... had not paid attention to the dates.
I returned to one of the articles I had read on the history of the pen, and lo, I discovered that the year 1884 when the first practical fountain pen was invented by Lewis Waterman.
This drawing could very well have been drawn in 1884 by one of those new-fangled fountain pens that Mr. Lewis Waterman, an insurance broker in New York City, invented himself.... after a rather embarassing and financially stressful event. His story follows... or what I could glean from two different sources:
You see, about a year before his life-changing invention, he was about to sign a very important contract. There were some type of pens with larger ink reservoirs on the market, but mostly they leaked and dripped terribly. He wanted something more reliable to mark the signing of this special contract, so he purchased one of the higher priced reservoir pens. He may have thought that if it cost more, it would work better. I don't know which brand he bought. The Schefer and Parker pens were already patented by this time, mabye it was one of them... but there were no facts (I could find) about which brand he had purchased.
At the signing of this important contract, the new pen leaked all over the document. One story I read said that Mr. Waterman left the office to get another contract, and while he was away, another insurance broker stepped in and signed the contract... Another version of the story goes that the client took the blotted signing as a bad sign, and refused to seal the deal.
Waterman was humiliated and frustrated by this misfortune, so he resorted to his own ideas about how a pen could work with a continuous ink supply without leaking and blotting messily over important documents. He whittled and shaped a wooden model until he came up with a pen that worked better than the rest. By 1884, his fountain pen design had been patented, manufactured, and sold successfully. He guaranteed it for five years. His pen became known as the first practical fountain pen invented.
Was the Waterman pen the one used in this drawing? I don't know. I've been searching to find the answer to that question. If you happen to be interested in taking up the quest along with me, I'd be glad for some company. Who drew that picture, and what kind of pen did they use?
It is late. I stayed home today. This is what I saw when I looked out onto our back deck this morning:
But that is not why I stayed home... although we did get an optional teacher workday today, which will have to be made up next week. No, this little bit of icy sleet and rain would not have kept me home... I could have gone in later in the day. I love workdays.
I stayed home because I've been fighting a bug of some kind since Saturday, and was slap wore out by yesterday noon. Last night I was running a slight fever. I decided what I needed was to take some medicine, stay home and sleep without disruption. I did, until 11:00 a.m. then rested the remainder of the day. Just what my doctor (and my son the pharmacist) ordered... and lots of water, some Tylenol, some Robitussin, and more sleep.
I think I'll be ready to go back to school tomorrow.
But I'm still curious about that continuous line drawing and those early fountain pens.


22 comments:
I recieved that picture in an email as well. Didn't give that much thought to it. But you do make it all rather interesting. Bubba had a little market going at one time with discarded turkey feathers. He found he could put the insides of a Bic stick pen right down inside one. Looked like you were writing with a quil, but of course you weren't. He was making them at home and selling them at school. ;o) - Barbara
I always investigate stuff like this at snopes.com They are pretty good at exposing hoaxs.
Russ
Interesting picture to say the least. I did enjoy reading all about Mr Waterman and learned something new, as usual. I do hope you are feeling alot better soon!
love,
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
It really is quite amazing Bea. I had it sent by a friend as well and could hardly believe that it had actually been done with only one stroke....but I suppose stranger things have happened. Good luck in finding our who might have done it...I might even have a wee search myself Hope that your bug goes soon and that you are feeling lots better. THere are many bugs going around here at the moment but finger crossed it has missed me...so far...Love for now Sybil xx
It's one of those stories that you really want to be true isn't it? it's a good picture whatever.
I love writing with real ink too, although I must confess I don't do it often these days.
Hope you're feeling better Bea.
B. x
Well... whoever did it, they did a beautiful job! What talent, and what patience that must have taken!
I hope you are able to find out the truth behind this drawing! Thanks for sharing, Bea!
Hugs
Jackie
First of all, I hope you are feeling much better today and continue to rest and recover over the weekend.
As to that drawing, it is beautiful, and I probably would have been a doubter, too. I find your research VERY interesting. My sister and I used to make quill pens when we were younger, and we would make ink from poke berries -- very, very messy!! If I am able to find out anything to add to what you already know I will pass it along to you. I'm interested enough to do a little checking!
Lori
I did a search at urbanlegends.com, but found nothing to say this was anything more than the email had said it was. Does not appear to be a hoax. Still looking, though!
wow that's very interesting if it was drawn without lifting the pen.
((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))Very intresting.I dont think the artist could have painted the pic with a quil pen all at one time.I aggree with you.That is a big picture to pain that long with one pen.You did alot of research about quill pens.This is very intresting to know.Thank you for sharing this with me.Have a good weekend.
This is absolutely intriguing Bea! It looks like a large thumb print whorl to me and yet when you see where the calligrapher has started and whorled out each time it is possible. I can see that the original picture of Christ would have to be printed there but to use such a deft touch of a pen continuosly in this way is absolutely remarkable. It has to have been done by someone well used to calligraphy and penmanship. What a treat for whoever did do it! It must have been a wonderful feeling to continue in this way until the job was comleted without stopping.
As for your health my friend....stay in bed a bit longer and keep warm. You will recover and stay well for much longer that way.
Hugs
Jeanie
That's almost unbelieveable, Bea, that image.
I can't imagine the patience it would take to do a single line drawing like that, let alone a single pen. I loved the extra information you provided about the orginal fountain pens. I always learn something new when I visit you. (Hugs) Indigo
some people are very artisitc
hugs
Sherry
How awesomely "cool"!!!! Love it! I don't understand that kind of stamina to stay with a drawing like this, nor the foresight to know where or how to draw the line!!! This kind of reminds me of that one performance artist who paints Stevie Wonder, etc. You & I looked at him some time back.
Well, I hope you feel better!!! We have off school until Tuesday. We're in the "freezing" 70s here! ha!
warm hugs, sher (wunzuponatime)
Oh Bea! thanks loads and tons for
tossing this puzzle my way. I hate
to brag but I solved the mystery after
about three or four thorough readings
of each and every of the clever Comments.
Here is how it was done. True, the ink supply
comes from a fountain pen type container, but
how the ink was made to stay in a continuous
line is the more difficult puzzle: The artist
anticipated the grammaphone record but
made it slightly oval shaped instead of circular.
Then, with the fountain pen mounted where
decades later the needle was attached, the
artist transposed the shapes into music then
had a fellow artisan help guide the pen
on its religious experience. Movement of the arm
followed the 'line' of the music, as well as that
of the pictorial image. It took about as long to
draw as say a very long Mass.
You're welcome.
Barry
Oh, I left out ..... Amen.
To Barry... <grin>... yes, I can see that as a possibility! (as I shake my head in doubt) You are thinking outside of the box... er... I meant grammophone? LOL! You are in good form tonight, my friend. bea
if this art were done continuously..then that is some amazing work..but I'm wondering: how long did it took this to finish? The artist didn't need to go to the bathroom at all?
there's the clue there that this is most likely not done continuously.
but ..what do I know.. :-)
Have a great weekend,
Gem :-)
How intriguing! I love this entry. I find the most interesting information when I visit your journal. I didn't know any of this stuff about the invention of the fountain pen. Wnat planning it must take to execute a complex image in one continuous line. I just tried drawing a daisy that way and ended up with the stem coming out of the top of the flower! --Sheria
That is fascinating, Bea, even more so when it is enlarged. I can't even imagine the talent that goes into a single stroke drawing. I'm not a very good researcher but would love to hear the results of yours because I have a feeling you will find out who drew it and how it was done. Thanks for sharing....hope you feel better. I had some sort of crud today. Chris
Wow! That sure is amazing, if true. Think my hand would get very tired, if I tried it, though. Hope you're feeling better, too.
Sincerely, Rose~*
Hi there, I actually found your blog while searching for info on this drawing myself (like you, I was skeptical). I was able to find a copy of the original book where this drawing had been published (Knowles and Maxim, publishers). You'll find it here: http://www.iampeth.com/books/real_penwork/real_pen_work_index.html. I found the book it in this list of books on penwork and penmanship: http://www.iampeth.com/books.htm.
Still don't know who actually drew it though...the publishers say they spent "many thousands of dollars" procuring pen work "from the best penmen who ever lived". If you read what the publishers say about their book, it just seems a little over the top to me. Who knows, maybe someone used their instructions in the "Tracing Process" section to reproduce it using pencil (that's very interesting reading), then traced it with a pen -- also part of the tracing process. Anyway, still curious...I LOVE puzzles!
Blessings,
Grace
Post a Comment