This morning I enjoyed getting up at 7:00 a.m. versus my usual early morning routine. Until Monday, I'm still on vacation. I am 'off' for the summer only in that I am not getting paid, and I am not in the classroom. In every other way, I am on.
Yesterday I wrote about what I like to drink. Iced tea was mentioned. However, long before I ever tasted my first glass of southern style sweetened iced tea, I was a hot tea drinker. I'm saying a long time... I was about five years old, as I recall, when drinking hot tea became a routine for me. We were living in England at the time, and we drank hot tea every morning for breakfast. At that age, there was more milk than tea in the cup, and it was sweetened, which probably accounts for my acquiring a taste for sweet tea.
I'm sure it was my mother who introduced my siblings and I to this smooth morning concoction... and we may have been drinking it even before we left for England (dad was Air Force). Maybe drinking hot tea started when I was living in Connecticut. I don't remember... my memories of drinking hot tea begin in England. I also remember that in the afternoons, our British neighbors had their cup of tea, and I was invited by one of them to sit at the table for a cup of tea. A morning cup of hot tea, with milk and sugar is probably my favorite of hot drinks.
I'm indulging this morning. All that talk about tea yesterday gave me a strong desire to brew a cup when I woke up this morning. I prefer Oolong, Orange Pekoe, or black teas for my morning cup... the caffeine is always a welcomed benefit. Only in recent years did I discover that tea has other health benefits, like anti-oxidants, "which rid the body of free radicals... which are side products of damage done to the body by pollution and the natural aging process. Free radicals in the body's cells are very unstable and tend to react negatively with other important molecules like DNA, causing malfunctions and injury on the cellular level. The destruction these free radicals produce may therefore pave the way for diseases like heart disease and cancer. " http://www.farsinet.com/hottea/medicalbenefits.html
Drinking tea counteracts these damages! Tea can help keep one healthy. Sweet or unsweetened. Sweetness in moderation, of course, is the key.
Here are some aol tips on how to make iced tea.
The past weekend was filled with specialness. Our anniversary was on the 14th (33 good years, thank you!), Father's Day the 15th, and recognizing our son's step into professional practice in Baltimore.
As we walked along the city streets Sunday morning on our way to the Inner Harbor, I noticed a diverse population, as you would expect in a large city. Knowing that he was not accustomed to living in a bustling city like Baltimore, which resembled a mini-New York City to me, I was worried, only as a mother would worry. Every time I saw a homeless street person, I thought of River. I held my concerns to myself but then I let it slip out. The kind of comment you wish you could take back, that you wish no one had heard.
I told him I was worried that he might not be safe walking down the city streets alone. I was thinking about his morning ride on the subway to the hospital each day, or his having to ride it home again in the afternoons, especially in the winter when it would be dark earlier in the day. I was worried he'd get mugged on the street.
Discussion ensued. He told me, kindly, that I worried too much. Even in Chapel Hill, he pointed out, people were assaulted, kidnapped, and robbed. He wasn't worried about living in the city... he was pleased to be where he was. This is what he wanted... it was a grand opportunity to work at Johns Hopkins and to live in downtown Baltimore.
We walked silently on to the Inner Harbor, my eyes and ears open, trying to see the city from his point of view. This would be his new home for the next two years. He would make new friends, he already knew at least one couple in Baltimore, and he lived within walking distance of anything he could ever need (except a Wal-Mart or Target... I never did see one of those. These he would have to drive to.) Churches, restaurants, entertainment, bookstores, art museums, a science museum, a football stadium, a baseball stadium, Little Italy, a 27-story World Trade Center, the National Aquarium, and the historic district... all within walking distance.
As we walked along the street, the Inner Harbor in our sights, a young father pushing his toddler in a stroller walked toward us, going the opposite way. As we stepped aside to give him room to pass, he looked at my husband and said "Happy Father's Day!"
I was surprised, my husband too. My son drove it home. "And you were worried about the people here in Baltimore, mom."
One needs a little perspective now and then.


15 comments:
Kind of a nice lesson, eh? I hope that eased your mind a bit!
Isn't there an Edgar Allen Poe house and museum in Baltimore also?
Beth
Mom's will never stop worrying :o) When I first started my post-college career, I lived in downtown San Francisco. I think it is a great experience for young people to live in the bustling city and get the experience. You usually return to your roots, but never need to ask "what if".
One of the hardest things as a mother I think is learning to let go and Let God where our children are concerned. Being so far away from mine it has been a daily struggle and I confess I do worry a great deal from time to time and am especially worried now that my youngest (19) is about to go into the Armed Forces full time. I am so worried that he will end up in Iraq or Afghanistan. I am really going to have to rely on my faith here and trust in the Lord's protection for him. What will be will be and I don't have a lot of control over that, but I can pray and sometimes prayer is the greatest comfort a mom can have.
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/
I lived in New York City for most of my life. Take a bunch of villages, knead them all together into on big lump and you have a city. DB (The Vagabond)
Morning!
I have drank Southern ice tea most of my life, my Mom loved it. Hot tea, seldom.
Happy to hear you all had a lovely Fathers Day. :)
Have a nice wklend.
Huggies,
Sugar
Your son will love Baltimore. The area offers so very much to do , history and more. My husband worked down town Baltimore for 9 years and was never mugged, however pan handlers are another story. I did seee my first homeless person there .It just shocked me. At that time they were sleeping in boxes over the steam vents coming up to the streets. Now there is a law agaist it. The city can offer more than you wish to see, but on the up side the city can be a fun and enjoyable place to be too. I just fell in love with the state of Maryland. We lived in Carroll county.and my husband drove to Baltimore every day. I'm sure your son will enjoy his 2 years there.
I think your son will do quiet well and has your level head on his shoulders. I understand a Mom's need to worry though. You all have to be so proud of him for his achievements.
Congratulations on 33 years of a good marriage. I hope for many, many more for you both.
Warm hugs,
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/
Worry comes with love. Why? I think it's because we hate the thought of losing love. ??? Maybe? I worry about everybody I love.
xx
Russ
Bea,
I lived in Baltimore for 11 years before I returned to Colorado. I loved it! It is such a great place. I try to return every two years or so to visit my brother. I'm glad you are having a great time.
David
Hi, Mom. I live near the big city. I promise you that your concerns are real, but also exaggerated by what you see on TV and the news. But then again if you weren't concerned about your son, you wouldn't be breathing. What can we do as mothers if not worry about our loved ones? Take care and good luck to your son.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
Oh, Bea, your worry for your son's well being is so sweet and so you. You have such a big heart. I'm glad that you feel a bit more reassured about the big city. I confess that on my first visit to New York City, I was petrified! I was an adult and went for a business meeting. I rode the train and had to get from the station to my hotel all by myself. The next day, I had to stand on the side of the street and hail a cab to get back to my hotel. (There had been a line of taxis outside the hotel when I left that morning but when I exited the Ford Foundation building, I suddenly realized that I had to get my own taxi!)
As a native southerner, I never heard of drinking tea without sugar until I was well into adulthood. As a matter of fact, I believe that it was on that same trip to NYC that I ordered iced tea and was appalled upon my first sip of the unsweetened brew. Of course, as any two year old southerner knows, you can't ever satisfactorily sweeten a cold glass of tea!
Congratulations to your son on his new job and I'm certain that he will love his new city!--Sheria
I haven't drunk tea for three years now. Nevertheless I can't imagine drinking it with ice! It's an alien concept to most brits I think.
Mums always worry, it's allowed.
B. x
It seems we have the same worries but in different aspects. My daughter lives in PA and drives 45 min. from work to the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night to get home. I always worry she's going to break down or get assaulted that late at night.
I think it's a mother perogative to always worry about their children. I think your son as is my daughter has enough of each of us in them to be wary and careful.
I remember drinking tea with enormous amounts of milk and sugar staying up late at night doing schoolwork when I was younger. I think it is Southern thing. Now I've gotten accustomed to not having sugar in my tea. They don't even offer sweetened tea here in NY. My favorite hot tea is Mint Tea that I like sugar in. If I drink Orange Pekoe I sweeten it with honey to bring out the deep flavor of the tea. (Hugs)Indigo
I enjoyed your tea entry. My earliest memories of drinking tea are of my paternal grandmother's cold sweet tea. Everyone in my dad's family remember her sweet tea and no one has ever been able to duplicate it, but we all can call to mind that particular taste. I feel for you in having to let go of your son in a strange "big" city, but I'm glad he feels fine about it and has so much confidence.
Lori
very interesting Bea! thanks!
you are such a kind, caring individual; I like that the most about this entry!
take care!
love,nat
Post a Comment