Thursday, July 3, 2008

Of Procrastination

This is Day Three of the self-imposed Daily Journal Entry in July Challenge. I thought I'd get started well before midnight tonight.

It is also Day Twenty of what most folks commonly refer to as summer vacation for students, teachers, and other school personnel. That means I've been off almost three weeks... tomorrow it will be three weeks.

I want to make good use of this period of time. I've gotten some rest, I've had a bit of a vacation trip (when we drove to Baltimore to visit our son. I miss my Max and Misty daily, but their pictures are scattered throughout the house.

For Christmas 2007, Steven and Vi had made us a framed collage of our pets using their Snapfish account, and pictures I had either sent them via email or those they found in my journal. The title held all the dogs' names in the order in which they came into our lives.

The photo below is one I took the night we brought Max's body home from the Emergency Vet. We laid him in his bed, and set it in front of the fireplace. It was late at night, and we wanted to wait for the next day to bury him. I had set out some candles near where he laid, and some of his favorite things. It was so hard to leave him there and go to bed. He was buried with his football. In life, when he wasn't chewing it, licking it, or fetching it, he would lay on it as though it were a pillow. In fact, in one of the photos, you can see him resting his face on the stuffed football. The three dogs in the lowest right photo are Brandy, Dusty, and Lucky... all preceded Max and Misty.

                          

At the time we received the gift, Max and Misty were very much alive and well. All the dogs we've ever owned since Steven was born are in this collage. I hung the framed collage up in the living room this week, and recalled thinking that three of the dogs pictured were long gone to doggy heaven, and three were still with us. Daisy is the third dog, and she belongs to Vi and Steven. Now Daisy is the only living dog pictured in the collage. Ah, me... family dynamics are changing by the month around here.

I mentioned yesterday that I had some highlights put in my otherwise greyish brown hair (which used to be radiant auburn until my mid-thirties). I still can't tell the difference when I look in the mirror... so I'm thinking I'll have to be bolder next time if I am wanting the highlights to be noticeable. I take my changes slowly... I transform gradually.

So I walked into the gym this afternoon (my third day of working out). It's a co-ed gym. June, July, and August, Gold's Gym in my town is having a special for teachers... three summer months free! (I don't know if this is an offer at other gyms around the state or country, but one could check into if they are interested. You can click here to find a Gold's Gymnear you.)

The expectation, of course, is that many of those who signed up for a free summer of exercise will want to continue through the remainder of the school year, and so will purchase a year's membership.

But I already am a teacher, and I already have a paid membership. I asked the manager if he could extend my membership for three months, free. He smiled and said sure!  

The problem with a year's membership is that one can have it and not use it, and if one doesn't use it, one has wasted a lot of money. I started my membership at the gym March 2007. I had to quit going in May 2007 when I had a toe-nail removed....followed by two weeks of being sick from pneumonia, which was then followed a few weeks later by a bladder infection. I know I could have started going after I was well again, but I had gotten out of the routine, and other things were claiming my time, and I had lost the momentum and the interest. I kept saying I'd go  back, that I needed to go back... but I kept putting it off. I am a procrastinator in some areas of my life.

Oh, wait, I have to go. "Hopkins" (TV show, ABC) just came on. I'll come back to finish this entry. Nah, I'll just wait and write another one.

 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Golds Gym nice ??

Anonymous said...

You transform gradually.  Is there any other way?  I hope not.    DB

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you'd get in an entry today.  Are we going to get to see the highlights in your hair and judge for ourselves?  
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages/

Anonymous said...

oh crap, I missed Hopkins.  I forgot that was coming on!  Darn.  
Enjoy your 4th tomorrow.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Glad you are on #3 for the week, that is good for you :o)

Anonymous said...

Just promise me you won't become a "gym rat" and start using steroids & stuff!  ;)

Happy 4th.

Russ

Anonymous said...

I write every day as you know Bea.  I really miss it on the days when I can't do it for one reason or another.  It has become such a vital part of my days.  Not sure what that says about me though!  It's hard to believe that 3 weeks of your holiday have passed already!!!  Time does fly doesn't it!
Happy 4th of July.  May you be safe, happy and blessed!
love,
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Writing every day?  Soon you'll be reduced to trading juicy dishy tidbits. I love those :-0.
~Mary

Anonymous said...

That's a great collage. They really do become members of the family, don't they?

Beth

Anonymous said...

Bea,
I loved the pictures.  We do miss our family members, don't we.
David

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like a little change in one's hair to liven a girl up! defintely be bolder the next time. Just a few weeks ago, I decided to add some subtle highlights to my hair. I'm not sure if they are really that noticeable to anyone else, but they certainly perked me up.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

    Procrastination is my greatest downfall.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Doc and I were just thinking of all the cats we've rescued and some that have passed on (thankfully they had an easy life with us for the remainder of theirs). I told him we should start making sure we had pictures of all of them, to remind us why we do what we do and in rememberance of them. Not long after Misty passed away, my biggest fear was losing Pickles. I knew the sorrow you were in over the loss of both Max and Misty, and I feared not having enough pictures of Pickles. One of the reasons I started to take more of her and have posted a few more on my journal. They are with us for such a short time, yet they steal our hearts and captivate us with their love. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

losing pets has been one of the hardest things I have had to go thru in my life.
Marti

Anonymous said...

Awww, that collage was a wonderful tribute to all the furry friends in your life, Bea. I hope that many people who wander into your home will have the chance to see it. Such a beautiful gift from your son and fiance.
Always, Rose~*