I am a Christian... my regular readers already know this. I worship weekly with other seekers of Christ, and I attempt to follow the teachings of Jesus. I am not a model Christian, and on a scale of 1-10, ten being perfect, I would probably fall somewhere between one tenth and one. I make mistakes as a practicing Christian, I have doubts, I have questions. I'm sure many people who know me wonder if I'm really a Christian, or just say that I am.
Sometimes I am riding on the wings of joy, and other times I fall prey to despair. I long for something that no one can give me in this world, and I forget what it was like when I danced with the Lord.
Some days I seem to have a grasp of what and who God would have me be, and the right words come out at the right time. Such days I feel like God has used me to give a message to someone in need. Other days I feel like I am standing in the darkness, dumb and sightless... completely helpless with caustic doubt, unable to say anything intelligent regarding my faith, too weak to hold out my own hand to another.
I think many Christians have similar feelings from time to time. I have no doubt that things I do or don't do can either take me further away from Christ, or bring me closer to Him. Thoughts I think can do the same. Sometimes other people influence me, whether they are aware of it or not, calling me from my focus on Christ. But this is more about me and not about them. I am the one who chooses to whom I will listen. It is my own awareness that needs a fine tuning.
Which brings me to something I heard tonight. It was a line spoken in a movie. Prince Caspian (of the Chronicles of Narnia) was the movie I watched tonight. I enjoyed the movie very much... special effects surpassed the first movie from the series. I wasn't ignorant of the symbolism in this story (although I haven't read the book), and was pleased to discover satisfying bits of images, actions, and words that pointed to the story of Christ, and our struggles with being Christian.
I'm not going into a deep commentary on the movie here, and this isn't a movie review. There are plenty of those already out there. You can Google search it and find whatever angle you want to read about. I just wanted to point out the words I heard in one of the lines between two of the main characters.
It was in the scene (this may be a spoiler if you haven't seen it yet) where the young Lucy has finally found Aslan (a large lion, he is the Christ figure in this story).
Lucy had caught a glimpse of Aslan earlier, but a deep, impassable chasm separated him from where they stood at the edge of a cliff. However, two of her siblings who looked but did not see Aslan did not believe her when she told them she had seen Aslan. Only Edmund, the younger boy, confessed quietly (for her ears only) that believed her.
Instead of seeking Aslan's counsel out right away, the four children become involved in Prince Caspian's call to reclaim his birthright as the next king of Telmarine. Throughout the first hour and a half, the children are fighting for their lives and the lives of the Narnians. Finally, Lucy sets out to find Aslan, to ask him to intervene because they cannot defeat the Telmarines, and Narnians will perish without him.
When he stands before her, she rushes to Aslan and hugs him. He is glad to see her. Lucy says to Aslan, "I told them I saw you but they didn't believe me."
Aslan responds, "Why did you let that stop you from coming to me?"
How often do we let the unbelief of those closest to us keep us from going to Christ?
Lucy's faith brought Aslan to her brothers' and sister's side, and to the aid of all the Narnians. (The battle was over with a most spectacular water action scene.)
Yes, it was all fictional, but the struggle with their faith that C.S. Lewis portrays in this story is real. The Telmarines don't believe the Narnians ever existed because they've never seen one. The doubt that Peter andSusan show when Lucy explains she saw Aslan "over there!" reflects the struggle people had with their faith in Lewis' lifetime, and in ours today.
It certainly well illustrated how I've felt recently. I'm asking myself, "What took me so long? Must I wait for another personal tragedy to fall on my knees and call upon Him?"
The answer is "No!" Don't wait for tragedy, don't wait for despair, don't wait for depression and darkness, nor a mountain that is too high to climb, a river too deep to cross... don't wait until you can barely stand on your own two feet in your spiritual walk with Christ to reach for Him. He isn't there only in the pain and suffering of our lives, nor only in the joyfulness of living ... He is with us in the common movements and relationships of everyday living... we can look for Him anytime and He'll be there.
BTW, it's a great movie for the big screen. If you saw the first of the series, you'll want to see this one. I found out that the second movie was filmed immediately after the first one so that the children wouldn't appear too much older... a year has past since they left Narnia (in their time, but 1300 years have passed in Narnia time). The transition from war time England to Narnia is magical and surreal. Costumes are Medeival, sword fighting scenes are exciting, and the Narnian creatures are so well blended (a mix of live actors with digital reworking?) one could actually believe the producers of this movie found them living on some British Fantasy Island.


15 comments:
I didn't see the movie and honestly, I'm not planning to. I would comment on the rest of your post. Simply if you declared that you know God always and did not have those slips here and there, I would be questioning your faith. What He asks of us is hard. By just declaring we're saved doesn't do it. We can only keep right on trying. I doubt very much that you're .5 to 1.5 on that scale. You cheat yourself. Take care and have a good weekend.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
I remember reading a few of the books when I was a kid, but the symbolism was lost on me. I wasn't very bright! LOL
Russ
Thank you SO much for this entry Bea. As you might have guessed I have been having a bit of trouble myslef these last few weeks...in fact even before that I had felt a little adrift...You have brought things into prespective...CS Lewis sure was a great man with a great faith himself I believe. Thank You Love Syil xx
Thank you SO much for this entry Bea. As you might have guessed I have been having a bit of trouble myslef these last few weeks...in fact even before that I had felt a little adrift...You have brought things into prespective...CS Lewis sure was a great man with a great faith himself I believe. Thank You Love Syil xx
I cannot wait to see this film myself. WE are planning on going sometime over the next two weeks. I think that we all struggle at times during our walk with Christ and yes, we are all far from perfect. Thank heavens for a Heavenly Father and a Saviour who recognizes this and steps in to fill the breech. Wonderful entry Bea.
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/
My children all read the books in school. They went to a small Christian elementary school so I figured the Chronicles of Narnia had to be cosistent with the religion but I nevr read them or saw the movies. LOL...not laughing but I am always a struggling Christian. I'm thinking that's because we are human. Some struggle more than others. I seem to forget about Jesus until a crisis hits. No accident either. I believe God pulls the reins in on me when I get too far away. Love this entry, Bea! You've expressed so many of my own feelings. The good thing is God never leaves us even if we choose to ignore Him. Chris
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
All Christians stumble from time to time, those that say that don't I question. Having been a Minister for many yrs, I still stumble, a lot! I just do the best I can, & still I have to ask God for forgiveness on a reular basis. We all struggle!!!
I've not seen the movie you mention, yet.
Have a blessed Sunday.
Hugs,
Sugar
I first read the books as a child and have re-read them many times through out the years...great series!!
Becky
I've stumbled alot over the years and have wondered sometimes if it's all been just a dream. This wakes me up inside. You have no idea. Reaching out to Him before another tragedy, before I hear Him say, "Why did you let that stop you?" or "What took you so long?"
I could have wrote this first and second paragraph word for word as it sounds like where I am right now.
Nelishia
Seems sometimes when we need him most he's the last place we turn! It's truly a universal Christian struggle. To go to God first in all things, to let God be first always. We all seem to have our seasons of walking closer to him. And withn those it can vary so much day to day. But we must always remember that He is constant and true. If anyone moved or changed, it always has to be us. Very well written! - Barbara
I think we all reach that point at some stage in our lives, probably more than once. Whether it's a fall from faith or simply a drop in our own moral standards, when we let ourselves down or do or say something we come to regret. We get distracted from our principles and beliefs by people and things and by our own hand too.
It's how we come out of these situations that counts. We can either learn from the mistakes and grow, be it spiritually or morally, or both. Or we can continue the downward slide. That's the yin and the yang of free choice.
I hope you find what your way Bea.
B. x
I wish my faith were stronger.
Marti
This was a very thought-provoking entry. I have a feeling you rate yourself a little too low on that scale of 1 to 10.
Lori
Bea you inspire and guide os many of us!
I loved it!
my favorite part is where you said"why did it take me so long?" love ya
winks
natalie
Post a Comment