Thursday, July 10, 2008

Six Word Memoirs

 

Six-Word Memoirs: The Legend Legend has it that Hemingway was once challenged to write a story in only six words. His response? “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.”

________________________________________________________________

This is a fun exercise in brevity that I first read about at Teacher Magazine. in the story The Short, Happy Lives of Teachers. The author of that story got the idea from a book called Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six Word Memoirs from Writers Famous and Obscure. 

Won't you join in and participate? I haven't seen this one around our 'neighborhood' so I'm hoping it's a new activity. If it has been around, and I'm just ignorant of it, please forgive.

Everyone has a story. Can you tell yours in six words? It doesn't have to sum up your life, but could reflect a period of your life, a moment, or where you are right now.

If you are having trouble thinking of six words to sum up your life story, check out the examples others have written at the link provided above. Here's a few examples to get you started:

Got sidetracked. Still playing catch up. (artm)

never felt worthy, now feel thankful (kzf)

Read the map. Still got lost. (thunderfire)

And here are three that I wrote. One reflects my life since I was an adult, the other a year in school, and the last my life as a whole:

Married, gave birth, worked, laughed, wrote.

Ten months tense. Two months relaxed.

Once dead. Now alive. Thank God.

Now you give it a try. Either write it up in your journal/blog, then come back to this entry and leave your journal link. I want to put them all together and link back to your journals. Or, send me an email, also with your journal link ... or leave them in my comment section for this entry only, with your journal link if you have one.

Deadline for this is Saturday morning, July 12th... I want to post the results by Saturday night. Thanks!!

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to reading your Six Word Memoirs.

If you need aditional inspiration, which most of you won't, because you all like to write, listen to this BBC interview with the editor who first called for the Six Word Memoirs, which became the book mentioned at the start of this entry. There you can click on the icon for the interview, and listen to the first 4-5 minutes of this broadcast, as the rest is news.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bea, I believe I heard the NPR story about this a while back. I wasn't inclined to write my own, but I'll give it a try for you! Let's see....

Nature lover, happily hitched, found contentment.

Gee, that's harder than you'd think! I decided to make it about where I'm at right now, rather than where I've been.  

Ouch, my brain hurts. LOL

Beth

Anonymous said...

This is a hard challange!  Gonna take me some time. LOL
Missie

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea,  didn't realise you didn't have my journal details thought you had.

                    " Into adventuer living a full life"

hows that.

sybilsybil45/villagelife     that should take you to my jounal if it dosn't let me know

Anonymous said...

This sounds like something I would love to try.  If I get some time while on the road.  I can think of several things pretty easily.  When you get teacher sites like that and anything of interest, please forward it the links in a private email.  I would love to be 'in the know'.  Thanks a lot.  Your last comment made me smile.  Thank God I can still turn my head today.  I'm stove up.  (Do they still use that word?)

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea Bea. I got my computer back just in time to have a go.
Here's mine: Once a romantic, now a realist.

B. x

Anonymous said...

In recognition of our shared differentness.
~Mary

Anonymous said...

Learned to behave.  Now regretting it.

Anonymous said...

all her wisdom was hard-won.

Anonymous said...

I did this on my journal last year and then again on Oak Cottage a month or so ago.  It's a wonderful exercise and some of the lines people came up with were pretty wonderful.  Here was mine:

"I am here for a purpose."

Can't wait to see all your reponses Bea!
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I walked dry creek beds endlessly.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Neat idea, Bea!  I think my father's old expression best sums up where I am at this point in life:  Never felt better or had less.

Barbara

Anonymous said...

I aggregate, synthesize and dispense information. - KFB

Anonymous said...

She felt totally out of place.

Anonymous said...

Something different.  Always growing.  Ever changing.

Jackie
http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd read this sooner, and I would have participated before your deadline.  I will probably link to this in my journal anyway, because this is a very good exercise.  I love the Hemingway quote.  He really did tell a story there, didn't he?  For now, here is six words to sum up the fact that I wish I'd read this before Saturday the 12th: Came by late.  Maybe next time.
Lori

Anonymous said...

dear Bea,
hi!
Okay so.. I give up...why did Hemingway include baby shoes in his?
shirk
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

An adventurous life living by faith.  Caroline