Sunday, December 18, 2005

Advent Devotionals

The two previous entries are Advent Devotionals I wrote for the occasion. I want to include additional devotionals, possibly every day until Christmas, but they are only possible if I give myself the time, or take the time, to be still. I know many people read devotionals, writings that are reflective and Christ-centered, often resulting after one reads scripture and experiences its meaning in real life, not necessarily in that order.

I am going to try to use illustrations for my devotionals, as I have done in the previous two. I am in the process of requesting permission to copy these images from artists' websites, and other sources. I don't want to infringe on anyone's rights. I really liked the walking Magi image in the December 17 entry. I had emailed the owner to request permission to use the graphic, and he responded in a very nice email explaining why he liked the image of the magi:

"I really like that Magi image because it depicts the Magi as powerful and NOT someone to be played around with!  Additionally, anyone who is actively seeking the Christ may properly be called a Magi.  The Magi know that Christ is within them (I am the light that lights all Men - Christ) and once found leads the way to the kingdom of heaven which is "within" also (The kingdom of heaven is within - Christ)."

astroarchaelogist, John Charles Webb, Jr.

I'm still waiting, however, for Mr. Dudash's permission to use the image of his print. If he says no, I'll have to remove it. Copyright laws rule!

Still, I think for the purpose of illustrating a journal page, it shouldn't be any different than when I cut out a calendar page or magazine page and pasting it into my paper journal pages, which is something I have done many times. I love keeping my favorite images in the journals where I can see them again and again, and reflect on the words I wrote, often inspired by the picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lovely entries Bea! you are soooo inspiring!
the Magi re fascinating.
One thing I love is the story"The Gift of the Magi".
Do you read that story in school or do any of the children? Ohenry at his finest.
I love you and I hope that your Christmas this year will be stellar!
love,nat