Monday, December 26, 2005

After Christmas Things To Do

I just got back from Target and Wal-Mart for after Christmas shopping... yes, I'm one of those people who brave the crowds the day after Christmas to buy next year's gift bags and boxes, tissue paper, and sometimes even ornaments that I'll add to my Christmas bags next year. If I don't do it now, then next year I will have two choices: spend twice as much money on my gifts and wrappings, or not give gifts.

The morning went by rather quickly and nicely. I thought that I was getting there late when I arrived at my first stop, Target, by 8:15 a.m., and there would be nothing left on the shelves. Although the parking lot was full, most of those people must have been gift exchangers or returnees... the gift wrap and ornament section wasn't too bad, and there were plenty of items still on the shelves. I had brought a list, which included 24 gift bags/boxes to put my baked goodies in for neighbors and friends, 12 gift bags for family members, 14 gift bags for teachers I work closely with, and 26 smaller (lunch style) bags to use for our church Christmas program next year. You see, I do need to save some money this year.

I also bought two plastic storage containers to put all my Christmas decorations in. These will go in the attic. I'm tired of pulling out cardboard boxes that need retaping every year to hold them together. The new red and green storage containers will last for the rest of my lifetime, and they'll be easier to distinguish from other storage boxes in the attic. Oh, and they look nicer.

My 27 year-old son spent the previous two nights with us, sharing our Christmas time with friends and family. His girlfriend, Vi, had gone back to Atlanta, Georgia to be with her family. It's always good to have him home with us. He spent quite a bit of his time on the phone last night talking with friends on his cell phone, including Vi. Maybe it was only Vi. I heard lots of laughing, so I know he was talking to someone very dear to him.

This morning before I left to go shopping, I had stopped in Steven's room to let him know I'd be gone for a couple of hours, and he said he'd call me on the cell phone if he needed anything (I don't have a cell phone, but my husband had left me his for the day because he knew I'd be out and about in the car... he's so thoughtful like that).

On the way home, I stopped at McDonald's and called him on the cell. Do you want me to pick up a breakfast (it was only 10 a.m) for you on my way home? Actually, he said, he was on his way there right then. You are? Yeah, I got called in to work, he said with a sigh. Do you want me to wait for you or are you just driving through? No, I'm just driving through and going in to work.

Work for him is in Durham where he also lives. He's doing a Pharmacist Intern job at a CVS pharmacy during his second year as a Pharm student, and he likes his job, but it seems when they are short of personnel, as when people call in sick or just call to say they can't work, especially during the holidays, things get pretty hectic, as you can imagine. I knew from his last workday report that he needed some time off, and he was a bit disappointed that he had to go in. Being the stoic that he is, he told them he'd be there.

I told him I was sorry he had to go in, that I would cook dinner tonight, and he could come home and eat with us. I hoped his day would be better than the day before Christmas Eve, and that the customers and clients would be nicer and more patient. Have a good day, I wished him.

While waiting in line to get my order at McDonalds, I noticed that people there were being patient and polite. Maybe he would find the same to be true at the pharmacy. I hoped so.

Oh well, another day on my own. A good day to clean up the house and put away the Christmas decorations... I like to get everything put away as soon as possible so that I can rest and relax those last three days before I go back to school.

As I stepped out the door with my to-go order and drink, who should pull up right where I stood in the drive-through but my son, already munching on his breakfast sandwich. He looked tired, but he smiled. He rolled his window down and we chatted for a minute before he said good-bye and off he drove, without another word of complaint. That's my son. He's going to make a fine husband for some young woman, and he'll be a terrific dad one day.

Now, about all those boxes and bags I bought... got to put them all away in an orderly manner so I can find them next year. And the tree, it's going to come down too. I want my living room back, and I want all those boxes cluttering up the bedroom put away, too.

Then, I can relax.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew!!  What a day already and it's only 11:00 here!!  I know how you feel though. Christmas is nice, but it's even nicer to have everything back in order.  Get it finished so you can relax!!  When do you go back to school?  We don't go until Jan. 3.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

You are efficient and courageous getting out there for those sales. I'm very impressed! I have to agree, nothing better than the after sales. I'm glad your sons were able to be with you for the holidays. I can tell how much you love them and it sounds like they are just as lucky to have such a wonderful Mom! Hope you had a happy holiday! ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

Gosh! I admire your industry!
Do ya think I coudl find anywhere to store these things till next year! Not! No room under house, no room in attic cuz there is no attic lol BUt if I coudl I would ! You rock!
natalie