I just finished making an activity for my students to help them practice using the guide words in a dictionary to find a word they might have to look up. I need a catchy name for the activity.
Here's how it works:
The kids work in pairs.
Each pair will be given two word cards, representing the guide words at the top of dictionary page. I copied the words from an actual dictionary so if they look it up, they will see that these are really the guide words in the dictionaries in my classroom.
Each pair will also receive a little baggie of smaller word cards. Some of these words will fall between the guide words, and others will not. The students will have to carefully look at the spelling of each word to determine if it falls between the guide words or not, and then put them in alphabetical order.
When they have completed putting the word cards in their proper positioning, they are to copy the words that fit between the guide words on their paper.
Then they rotate to do the next pair of words, until all six pairs are completed.
My students sometimes have trouble using guide words because they get their middle alphabet letters out of order.
Anyway, I've cut up all my cards. They are all laminated. The little cards are in the baggies. All the words cards are neatly packed away in an old plastic Swiffer container (rinsed and dried, all clean). It's green, and I covered the label with dark green construction paper. It looks very nice and presentable. The kids will think they are playing a game. I hope.
I want to write a catchy phrase or name for the activity, but it's getting late, and I'm tired and can't think. They are fifth graders, but it can be used with the fourth graders as well.
Some of you are really great with naming things. Think about the activity, and what it's for, and leave a comment with your name suggestion. I need it by Monday morning. I'm taking it to school by then.
Karen? Nat? Robin? Penny? Patrick? David? Jackie? Becky? Jackie? Nancy? Lori? Hillaree? CyndyG? Gayla? Michelle? Marti? Sugarsweet? Cathy? Betty? Donna? Pat? Patrick? Anybody? Y'all have any ideas to help me out? Thank you for helping!


6 comments:
I'm terrible with names, but let's see:
Guess what?
You name it?
Words R Us.
Pair them up?
see, pretty clueless here. Hope someone else is much more clever than me
betty
How about Dictionary Dance?
Guide Word Round-up?
Grab-a-guide word?
Alphabet soup?
This is a great activity. My third graders have a reading assessment coming up in April and I know that information about reference materials is on it. I may borrow this idea if that is ok!!
Word Detective? Guide-o-Rama? Page Finders? If I think of something better I'll come back here. - K.
OK buddy...how about "Between the Green"?
Nancy : )
I love the suggestions I'm seeing so far. Just to let others know, I'm not making a decision until later, probably around 6pm. Then I will choose one to put on the label. I'll take a picture of the activity this evening with new name and post it in next entry. Thanks. The Name Game is still open! Bea
I saw some of my suggestions have already been used... but, how about:
Look-IT- Up
Words Surround Us
Wild Words
This same concept would work great with a telephone book!!
Jackie
Post a Comment