Monday, March 27, 2006

Little Mother

and so one of my more perceptive and sensitive students (a 4th grader) says to me today, "Are you sick Mrs. Gilmore?"

"Yes, actually, J., I am sick."

She held her eyes on mine, and with all the firmness of what could only be her mother's voice, she said, "Well, then, you need to get yourself home and go right to bed!"

I smiled. "Yes, I think that is what I should do." I grabbed a tissue. "But, you know, it's a cold, and I can't go home because I have a cold. This could last two weeks easily. I'll try not to cough on you."

Then we got down to the writing assignment, and for thirty minutes, I didn't feel so bad.

Once I walked into my home, though, it seemed the proximity of warmth and comfort began to work against me, and I felt an overwhelming urge to go to bed at 5:45 p.m. Which I did, but the headache kept me awake even though I had taken some hydrocodone for the cough.

Well, now it is really bedtime for me and I'm gone once more. Thank you all for your well wishes. It'll just have to work its way out of my system.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids are so sweet, and so genuine.  When I'm out for whatever reason, they are so happy when I return, it's a wonderful gift!  Especially when my nana passed away...a little five year old, quiet and not very outgoing girl approached me and said how sorry she was to hear about my grandmother.  I was deeply touched.  Lots of warm, fresh air to ya!   Michelle

Anonymous said...

What a nice entry, even though you don't feel well.  I love children.  They are so open and honest.  Take good care of yourself.  A cold can really sap you.  Pennie

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet.  Sounds like she listens to her mommy, too.  Hope you feel better.
Lori

Anonymous said...

It's so funny when the little ones channel their mothers.  I am hoping you get well soon!  ~Peachy (Tara)

Anonymous said...

Oh, God bless and heal you.  And stay away from any drug tests while you are on the hydrocodone!   I flunked my first and only one because of the stuff.   lol  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Oh, Bea.. bless your heart!  I am continuing to send "get well vibes" and prayers your way!  Feel better soon, my sweet, caring friend!

Huggs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

.....out of the mouths of babes...............

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear you're under the weather.  Hope you feel better soon! Hugs, ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

please get well
love,nat

Anonymous said...

Coming by to say hi & wish you a nice weekend. Take care of that ole cold!
Hugs,
SUGAR