Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas card tree

                                                          

I did decorate the tree. It seemed to take care of another problem I'd had: where to display the Christmas cards this year. The idea came to me about 4:00 a.m. Sunday when I woke up unexpectedly, coughing and thirsty. So I put the cards on the tree. All but two of them were cards I received this year.

The two, however, are very special cards that I keep on display all year long since I discovered them a few years ago.

 These two cards. The one on the top right is from my Memere Deslauriers, my mother's mother. The one on the bottom left is from my mother, possibly dated 1985. What I treasure most about these cards are the handwritten messages each one carries from the past.

                           

Mom is alive and well enough these days. She doesn't send letters and cards like she did back then. I learned to write letters from her, from watching her write letters to her sister and mother, and even to my dad when he was away on TDY throughout his Air Force career.

This particular card shown here mentions the news about my youngest sister Vicki, her husband Michael, and their baby Candance. That's how I know what year the card was written. In fact, she mentions my brother Joey, and my sister Joy, and my dad. They were all living in California at the time.

Vicki and Candance were killed and my parentswere seriously injured in a car accident in 1997. Dad died in 2002 from atherosclerosis. That's what the death certificate said, but I know he really died of a broken heart, which never healed after his daughter and grand-daughter were killed in that car accident.

I found the cards a few years ago amongst a boxful of Christmas cards I had been saving apparently since 1975, the year we got married.

When I read the card from  my memere, I laugh every time because of the way she spells "youse"... that is so like her. I can hear her voice saying it... she used the term like a yankee, which she was... which I was, until I married my North Carolina man and began saying "ya'll" instead.

                           

I love how she refers to my husband and son as Big Steve and small steve. A lot of love came with that card. My memere didn't send many cards off at Christmas. I think it's the only card I ever got, or that I remember getting from her.

Both these cards will be passed down to my son as family keepsakes.

Thank you, Alyson, for reminding me to post an entry. I did decorate the tree. It didn't glitter and sparkle this year, but I know, like we always say, Christmas isn't about the presents.

And that turkey soup with lemon juice really helped a lot. If you had only told me about it, I wouldn't have believed it, but you brought that bowl of hot soup over and it tasted pretty good to this sick lady.

It was the lemon juice that really caused me to hesitate. "Add lemon juice" you said.

Lemon juice? You told me a story of how you came to hear about this cold remedy, and I'm afraid I've forgotten the important details. Alyson, if you'll leave a comment here to share with the readers, I'm sure they would love to hear it too.

Itmust be the lemon. And the garlic. I just had never thought to put lemon in my chicken or turkey soup before. I do feel less congested right now.

Steven and Steve are home. There's lots more to write about, but now my hours are mixed up. I slept too much today, I suppose. The meds are kicking in now, so I'm going to bed.

Thank you for your well wishes. I've been reading journals mostly, but not leaving many comments. I'll be back on track soon.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to decorate a tree.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

dearest Bea,
Get Well soon! What an awesome way to remember your cherished relatives by showing off theri cards! I ope you had avery Merry Christmas today!love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Writing as a means of family and friends
communication is, IMO, vastly under-rated.
Before computers I mailed and received a
heap of letters via The Letter Exchange.
Later, email and message boards took over.
I wish it hadn't.  Nevertheless, letters can
become burdensome for the majority of
people I've known, including chiildren, cousins
and classmates. I didn't send one single
Christmas card this year. Presents, yes, and
an email or two, but that's it. I'm at the
crossroads. What I'd really, really like is to
communicate via a commercially published
novel. That's not likely to happen. Age is
much against me. Some years ago a woman
in Pasadena created a sensation by publishing
a novel ABOUT Pasadena, which, frankly, is
the dullest town in America. The seansation was
caused by the fact she was in her 70's. It was
as if she'd scaled Everest.

I blather, sorry. You're the BEST!

Barry


Anonymous said...

Your cards are precious thankyou for sharing them ..love Jan x

Anonymous said...

Bea, this is a wonderful idea!  Next year, stick up the tree, put on a few lights and decorate as the cards come in.  (My Bug would not let me get away with this.)  God bless!  May you continue to feel better and better.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

Gab

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea - I LOVE what you did with your tree - what a unique idea.  It was a merging of your two selves - not having to put on lights and sparkles, but adding something of meaning that created a wonderful look.  I hope you are feeling better soon. Nothing worse than feeling sick  whilst you are on leave - could be so much else to do!  Then again, as you said, better that you don't have sub plans to write!  Have a blessed day and relax, enjoy your family, and get better.  Love you, Caroline
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure

Anonymous said...

Bea, what a nice thing to do.  I also have saved cards from the past ...from my great grandfather, grandparents and my mom & dad.  It warms my heart to get them out from time to time and look at them.   Linda in Washington state

Anonymous said...

What beautiful cards and memories.  I bet when you found those cards you thought you'd found treasure.  I would keep them out all the time, too.  Glad you are feeling better.
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages

Anonymous said...

A tree should be decorated from the heart.. and that's what you did, with all those cards.  Especially the ones from your grandmother and mother..  

I am glad you have your son there with you, and that you are hopefully on the road to recovery.  I have never heard of lemon in chicken soup, but it certainly makes sense when you think about it.  I eat a Mexican soup called Menudo when I don't feel well, and we put lemon in it, and it tastes delicious and always makes me feel better.

Thanks for taking the time to leave an entry, even though you are still not feeling so great!

I pray you feel better soon, Bea!

Hugs and love,

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea, I love what you did with the cards!  Such a fashionable way to decorate your tree; it looks lovely!  I hope that you are feeling better and that your had a beautiful day.  This is a beautiful and moving entry, thank you for sharing so much of yourself.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Oh that tree sparkles... it sparkles with love and care... what a great idea!  I love it!!  And you got your decorated tree :)
Hope your Christmas was magical... I know your tree is!
love ya
d

Anonymous said...

I love your tree!
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this family insight, Bea. Hope you had a good Christmas this year :-)

Guido

Anonymous said...

Bea,I  love your tree! Your entry made me cry! I also treasure handwritten letters of parents no longer alive and nothing is as personal as ones' handwriting.In this impersonal world of ours I hope many more people  treasure handwritten documents for our future generations-I bet in another 10-20 years the art of handwriting will be lost! Get better soon Be blessed! Shauneen

Anonymous said...

this is the most beautiful tree I have seen all year!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Well you requested the Lemon juice in the soup story:
I worked weekend option as a nurse due to limited weekend days off...4 a year which included sick time. So I would rather save my time off for vacation than "waste" them to lie in bed sick. So often I went to work sick. I would wear masks when I went into my patients rooms and wash my hand fanatically. It is no fun to work sick but we do what we do. One of my patients was a young middle easterner. I won't violate his privacy than to say that much. I have found out that when people come from other countries they develope their own "family" network. Sort of what we find here in our neighborhood. When someone from their country is admitted to the hospital the Family comes to help. This particular young man had a closed head injury and his family was far away. His family network attended him and assisted us with his care. They were very respectful of us and they wanted to help. They bathed the young man because he was not to be bathed by women. They even brought him food so he wouldn't have to adjust to our cafeteria food. They brought him chicken soup the day I was feeling poorly. They brought in three bowls and a lemon. In one bowl they had the cooked chicken. The second bowl, they had the broth (heavy with garlic and salt), and the rice was in the third. They combined the three in a bowl then cut the lemon in half and squirted it over the soup. Then they shared it with me. Within an hour I was feeling so much better. By the next day I was well recovered. Again, i don't know if it was the garlic, lemon, fluids or the love that cured me. I admit that we have been trained as nurses to not accept food from families, especially from "THOSE PEOPLE". After all who knows what is in it. All I say is BAH HUMBUG. I am glad that they shared with me. And yesterday I shared with you.
Man of man this is a novel....LOL. Glad you are better.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you added your beautiful tree to your blog. And I am glad you feel better. I remember a few years ago I was sick with a bad cold. I had young kids. I just wanted to hide away for hours if not days at a time. My husband showed sympathy the only way he knew how. He stayed away. But you came over with a big bowl of chicken soup. It was about the first thing I was able to eat in days. It was definately a "cure" for me. You see even to this day I am not sure if it was the soup or the love that helped speed my recovery. It is so amazing how strong our bond as unrelated sisters.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been responding to a lot of the Christmas entries, but this one deserves a quick word.  Very efficient use of your resources.  I remember you debating on whether or not to decorate your tree for the longest time.  Now you have decorated it with love, and I think that is just perfect.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Bea, that is an exceptional tree...It has life all around it..I LOVE IT! So many stories in those cards....reading about the loss of your sister, husband and baby and I was thinking.....I just dont know how you got through that....alot of prayer...alot....very sad....and how your mother refers to her hubby...that is wonderful....honoring the generations like that....

I think your tree is just beautiful.....so much reflection...thank you for sharing..~Raven

Anonymous said...

Raven: Oooops! I need to clear up a content error that may have been caused by poor sequencing of story details:

I appreciate your heartfelt concern, and thank you for your comment. My husband and my son are alive and well. My sister and her 12 year old daughter were killed in the accident, not my husband, not her husband. Memere is my grandmother on my mother's side... she's the one who writes "youse all" on the card. I can see how I may have confused you when I moved from one paragraph talking about the card from my mom, to the card from my memere. I thought I should add this comment in case anyone else thought the same thing you did! Again, thank you for checking out my entry and leaving a comment!

Bea

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read about the loss of your sister and your niece; I know this happened many years ago but it must be so hard for you at the holidays. I think how you display the cards on your tree is a nice idea; I save my cards every year too. Sometimes I wonder why I do this; but it is nice to go back to them and look at them again.
Maria