Friday, December 29, 2006

Pneumonia links and Vet visit

Hardly any coughing today, but the tiredness just won't let up. I did a little research today on the symptoms of pneumonia, and how treatment at home looks. I've done everything my doctor has asked me to do, and I noticed an improvement in my breathing rate.

I only get short of breath if I do several tasks one after the other without taking a break.

According to what I read, I have what is called community based pneumonia, meaning I caught it from within my work place. My case is mild, so it is referred to as walking pneumonia. Since I am otherwise healthy (no asthma, no flu, I don't smoke, I'm not diabetic, and no other conditions or illnesses), I'm going to recover within two weeks, although the tiredness could last up to a month for some people. I hope my otherwise healthy status will shorten the duration!

I feel better just knowing that the tiredness is associated with the illness. I was beginning to think that all this inactivity had made me feel lazy. What with all I have to do... or would like to do... this is not a pleasant place to be.

Today I took down the tree, and it's laying in all its pieces on the floor. Steve brought the box down from the attic this evening. Tomorrow, I'll load the tree parts into the box, and he'll carry it upstairs.

I did manage to put a few things away into storage containers... too big and heavy for me to carry upstairs. Steve will take care of that for me too. When he has off.

I prepared the bedroom for my sister and her husband who will be visiting from out of town this weekend. Their children are grown, and have children of their own. Now it's time for she and I to get in some quality sister time, to get to know each other all over again, something we've been unable to do for the past 20-30 years due to long distances and raising kids. She used to live in California, then in Connecticut, but now lives much closer, in Georgia.

They may be here either Saturday or Sunday. Just in time for a New Year's celebration around my neighbor's bonfire. The weather looks promising for that evening.

Both dogs had an appointment with the vet today to check out suspicious lumps. I'm not talking about Schnauzer bumps... my dogs haven't had any of those yet. The vet says I've been lucky not to have seen any of these annoying bumps on my dogs. She said it's unusual when a schnauzer owner doesn't come across one or more of these down their dogs' backs.

Misty had a suspicious lump removed last summer.... it was melanoma, and they got it all. She also had a hemangioma removed... it was filled with blood, and was benign, but a nuisance just the same. The lump I had checked out today started growing on top of her head just after the last lump was removed. The good news is that it was only a cyst, and the doctor drained it right there in the office. Gone, just like that!

Max had a lump on his rear right leg, sort of in the area I'd call the ankle of my own leg. The good doctor attempted to aspirate it, but nothing would come out of it. It wasn't a cyst. So she tried to draw out some blood cells to see if anything abnormal was in it, but got so very little, it was hard to say. She said that I should watch it and if it grows any bigger, bring him in and get it removed. The problem is in watching it... it's in a place covered by hair, and would be easy to not notice anything about it at all.

What I do know is that it has been growing steadily for the past year. She said if it got too big, there would be very little room to cut out enough margin around it to make sure they get it all. We decided to go ahead and have it removed asap while it is still small enough to get it all with room left to close it properly. It's just less than a 1/4" in diameter. I set up an appointment for January 9th to have it removed.

I know it sounds like I've been doing a lot, but I haven't done much. I've paced all these things throughout the day. The vet visit took over two hours due to some pet emergency that backed them up. So, there was a lot of sitting around waiting there. Nearly fell asleep. Poor dogs!

Tomorrow I'll try to get in some lesson plans while I'm waiting for my sister.

Now I shall go to bed. Goodnight J-land! Thank you for being so kind during these past few days of my complaining. You are too good to me!

                                                        

 

 

 


Tags:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are starting to feel better, and the tiredness is attributed to the pneumonia.
Poor puppy! :(  I hope it turns out to be nothing serious!

Hang in their Bea..  you can whine whenever and however long you want to!

Happy New Year,

Jackie
http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/

Anonymous said...

Worried about you and this pneumonia....it takes a good long while to get over...I've had it before myself.  Just when you start to feel better, you can have a set back.  I know what you mean about the breathing...
Having 3 Schnauzers myself, I know, all too well too, about the lumps.  Worked for a Vet...saw so many that it was common, but still you worry.  I do, no matter what.  Normal...to feel this way.  You do the right thing...if in doubt, check out.  
Have a wonerful New Year...make 2007 the best ever...hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself! Prayers for you.
{{ }}
Also, saying a little prayer for the doggies. :)
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

"Walking pneumonia" sounds like that old adage about the common cold that if you take medicines, the cold is cured in a week, otherwise seven days. <grin> But then again, what's in a name? I hope you and your pneumonia only share a short walk together.
Patrick    

Anonymous said...

I had quite a bit of catching up to do with you today!  I love the card tree!  and the special cards are beautiful!  And I really need to take my kitties to the vet soon too.  I'm happy that you got those chores done.  As for lesson plans, those days are pretty much over for me.  When I homeschooled I did my lesson plans every Sunday night.  I'll have to tell you sometime of the lesson I did with my girls on the migration of birds.  It was soo good.  I hope you recover from the nasties real soon and have a super fantastic New Year!  Love, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Glad you're beginning to recover, Bea. It's a bit of a road to trudge, but you'll get there. Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

I have read about several people having coughing and being sick.     I have had some sort of what I think is a flu bug that was at it's worst several weeks ago and came back lesser a week ago and lasted for about a week and now I think I am getting over it but still feel a little down.      I just know if I get active outside in the 52 degree damp weather today I will feel sick again so I am doing some inside work.    Wishing you and your family a very good New Year and many enjoyable days throughout the year.      mark

Anonymous said...

Dearest Bea,
I love you adn I hope that you enjoy your sister's visit without overdoing it!:) I wanted toa sk you about little dogs. My little dog seems to be eating less than the other two and we are having to sit my daughter's dog. Do you think she could be sick?I hope your dogs fare well.. my little one had to have alump removed alos . She is fine but teh vet says her liver count is not good. That being said Bea they can't do anythng for livers anyway can they?
love,nat

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're doing better, and that you know it'll take time to get all your strength back.  That's what I had in November, and that's why I've been mostly absent from J-land in December.  Even after I started feeling better, I was still just so tired.  The least little thing would take all my strength; all I wanted to do was sleep.  I hope you keep getting the rest you need.  But enjoy your sister's visit!
Lori