Thursday, December 28, 2006

Rant of a sick teacher

Thank you for all your well wishes... I am feeling better. The coughing has subsided very much. I feel tired more than anything. I am grateful for not having a headache. I have been resting, either in bed, or in the recliner.

Thank goodness for Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan. I've been watching his show each night this week, and have learned a lot about being the pack leader. As he trains people to lead their dogs properly, I've been thinking about my own little "pack," Max and Misty. They pretty much do what I tell them to do, with only a couple of exceptions. Misty doesn't always come home when we call to her, Max doesn't like to be groomed, and both of them jump on people to greet them.

Apparently, I'm responsible for all of these behaviors... as I can change them if I knew how. I think I picked up enough of Cesar's dog wisdom to know what I need to do to establish my leadership and change their behaviors.

I did drive to school to pick up materials and books, then came home. I repeat, I did not stay at school despite the fact that I saw four other teacher cars parked in the parking lot with the same idea I had.

(Now you may discontinue reading ... the rest is a rant, and I'll probably regret writing it by tomorrow. So please stop if you don't have the stomach for rants. I don't usually do this in my journal. But alas, I am tired.)

Yes, I need to rest, and I am resting, but I also need to be ready for school to start on Tuesday. And even if I'm not able to go to school on Tuesday, I need to plan for the substitute who would take my place. Either way, whether I'm sick or not, I have to plan for next week.

And who has to think and write the plans, and put together the necessary materials for four different grade levels? Yes, me.

And when will I get the chance to write them up? When I am well? LOL!!! No, silly, ... now! while I am still sick.

Yes, that is the dilemma teachers have to face when they get sick. Which is why we try not to get sick. That is one four letter word we are afraid of.

Whether I am sick or not, my plans have to be written up with enough detail that a stranger (the sub) could walk in and teach my lessons.

I'm curious how other teachers handle it, then. One thing we can't ever do is "call in sick." No, first we have to find a sub, then we have to make sure everything is planned and taken care of so that the sub will know what to do. Subs are not babysitters... we do not give kids worksheets to keep them busy all day... that's an old myth created by people who have never taught in the classroom.

I feel resentful about that, I do. I once had a job working as a printer. If I got sick, my goodness, I could wake up groggy and call my boss and say, "I'm not coming in today. I'm sick." And he'd say don't worry, and I didn't. And I could miss two or three days, and my job would still be there, things would have piled up while I was gone, but nothing anyone couldn't deal with. I'd get caught up when I returned, well and rested once more.

Never again.

If I called in sick, my principal would say, "Have you got a sub? Are your plans on your desk? Good, then don't worry. Get some rest and come back when you are well."

I don't have a sub (yet), and my plans have not been written because .... because I'm sick and tired?

What do other EC teachers do when they get sick? I have an assistant for one hour a day, so it's not like I can leave her with my classes all day long.

I'm just curious.

 

 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be the assistant taking care of the class for the day!  My Co teacher truly is the teacher, something that I know I would not be able to handle on a daily, weekly basis.  I love what I do.  I also love that I can handle things on my own in these types of situations.  I don't envy you at all.  BUT, let me say, that I RESPECT SO MUCH what teachers do.  What YOU do.  You will get through this, and I pray you have the support within your school so that you will get through it with ease.  

::sending more chicken soup::  ;o)

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
I don't have to find a sub, but usually try to get my own only because I have a girl I like to sub for me. Most people don't want to get so involved with my kids. I don't usually call in sick either, only taking off after I have planned it.  
I do have aides in the classroom, and one especially that knows how to work in my classroom. I don't have the problems others have really.

I hope you're well enough to go back to school next week.
It's a lot of added stress to be out when you are ill.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine... but I do know this... teachers deserve a whole lot more credit then they are given.  Take care of you and maybe.. just maybe... you won't have to worry about the 'sub'.  Hugs
d

Anonymous said...

Take good care of you & I'll cont to pray! {{ }}
Have a nice weekend & a shiny New Year.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

I apologize because I don't have anything useful to say.  I fully empathize with your dilemma but that doesn't do you a heck of a lot of good.  You are entitled to rant.  It is appalling that you do not have a full time assistant!  I think that EC teachers should have first dibs on having a full time assistant.  Once again, what I think doesn't mean a lot; it doesn't help you.  By now, you have probably recognized that I am a compulsive fixer.  I want to make everything right and I get frustrated when I'm powerless to help, so I start blabbering.  I do believe in the power of prayer and I promise to say an extra special prayer for you.--Hugs, Sheria

Anonymous said...

Aunt Bea, I feel your pain!  I know when I am out sick it is more work leaving plans, etc. than actually working the day myself.  Not to mention the fact the sub doesn't always follow the plans as written and the students are not usually on their best behavior.  So I end up reteaching the lesson(s) and dealing with any "names" left!  NO fun!  I hope you feel better for tuesday.  Sorry you didn't get to enjoy your vacation like you should have.  Thank you so much for the great books and fire yankee candle set.  I will be mailing pictures soon.  Love you and Get WELL!!  Becky

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!!  Substitute teacher.  Time for the spit wads, and saying "we took that test yesterday".  Kids are always so mean to the subs.  Hope you feel good enough to go in Tuesday so you don' t have to deal with all this junk.  But if you need to stay home, I'm sure your plans are in order, or will be and the sub will have no problem filling in.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I'm backing out of this one, my friend, because I'm not a teacher (as you well know) so, I don't have the answer to your question.  But.. I  hope someone does!  I do pray for you to get well soon, though!  That I CAN do!

Hugs and love
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
As I am not a teacher, I cannot give any tips or advice. But I do sincerely sympathise with your situation and the stress you must be experiencing when faced with the dilemma of being sick. I do hope that you will get better soon and get the rest you need.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/20062007-journal-index/

Anonymous said...

Bea - I know exactly how you feel.  It's so much easier to go in and teach than plan for a sub.  You have to be so much more detailed in your plans. And then you have to plan for in case your plans don't work out!!! Sigh!!! Don't feel bad abou the rant - it's good to get it out ~ and you said nothing bad at all! You just said what all teachers feel when that dreaded 4 letter word hits! By the way, I LOVE Dog Whisperer!  We don't have dogs at home, but we love watching how Cesar handles his animals. I realise how I've made mistakes in the past!  Wish I'd had his wisdom then.  Take care and get better soon, my friend! Love Caroline
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure

Anonymous said...

Rant on oh splendid EC teacher extraordinaire!!
You're needed and wanted and that's a delicious
place to be I bet. Relax all your body, remember
you are desperately needed and come out swinging.
Luv ya!  

Barry

Anonymous said...

in our district, our teachers have to have lessons plans done and on the desk ....( not sure wo they are supposed to do that, if they are home and sick) but all they have to do is call the sub lady, , tell her they are not coming in to school, give her the reson ( sick, family emergency, personal day, etc) and she is in charge of getting the sub fromt eh sub pool.
I am so sorry you have to get your own sub, especially when you should be resting!
Becky

Anonymous said...

I think here the teachers have to do as you do; call and arrange for a sub themselves and have their plans ready or get them to the sub by email or phone.  The same for my sister in Florida.  I hope you can arrange for someone and feel up to getting your lesson plans done, but I really hope you just get to feeling better soon!
Lori

Anonymous said...

dear Bea,
I love you much sweet friend! Thanks for starting to rest and take in alot of vitamins, protein, vegetables and fluids!
Please take care that you get better not worse!
love,natalie