Several months ago, my niece sent us a card to mark our calendars for her wedding. When I found out that the July 22nd event would take place on the beach, I had my doubts. ON the beach... amidst beachcombers and families laying on their towels and sitting on their folding chairs. Wind blowing, sand everywhere... what does one wear on a breezy beach? What good are shoes? I had big doubts, having never attended a wedding on a beach before.
However, all my fears dispersed the moment my bare feet stepped onto the warm beach sand, my sandals dangling from carefully manicured (artificial) fingernails. On the upside, there was no need to worry about hair styling... after all, the wind was going to blow it all apart. I cast away my middle-aged worries into the ocean breeze, feeling the freedom of a 23 year old who once had the whole world and a lifetime ahead of her (and in some ways, still does!). Weddings have a way of bringing us back to our own youth, the promises we made, and hopes we planted in our hearts. I love weddings!
It was held on Wrightsville Beach, in the early evening. After the sacred vows were spoken, a Sand Ceremony marked the joining of two families. The pastor explained the steps of the marriage ritual: first the parents of the bride, and then the parents of the groom stepped forward, each to pour a portion of colored sand into separate glass vases. One pair poured blue sand in the one vase, and one pair poured white sand in the other.

Then the bride and groom each took up their respective parents' vase and simultaneously poured the colored sands into a pretty glass central vase. Very much like a lighting of the candles, except better since there was too much wind to enable candle lighting. The significance of blending the colored sands of the two families did not get lost on any of the family members.

My niece and her husband looked beautiful in the setting sun. So happy were they to have all their plans realized. I was happy for them... we all were. I would have taken many more pictures, but the professional photographers told us to turn our cameras off, then stole our bride and groom to a short distance away closer to the swaying sea oats. They monopolized every second of the setting sun for their photos.
I sneaked a few anyway, then took photos of the rest of us who were not immediate family and not part of the family photo session. Finally, we decided to leave and head for the reception, which would take about 20 minutes to drive to.
The wedding was one I will never forget... I wish Bridget and David a long and happy marriage, and may all their dreams come true.

We are family....! This is my SIL, MIL, me and my BIL... my DH took this one. I seldom get to visit with the family, so it was especially nice to talk with them, catch up on family events. SIL will be a grandmother in a few months, her first! Notice my bare feet. It was nice not having to worry about what shoes to wear!

We stayed at a lovely old hotel called The Wilmingtonian, located in historic downtown Wilmington (NC), just a block off the waterfront. A bargain for the location and the room size, with all the amenities. The Wilmingtonian is a complex of several buildings. We stayed in the Maritime House, the Fort Fisher Suite (only $85 a night). I hadn't expected theplace to be as nice as it was... all I knew was that we had reservations close to the reception, in the historic district. I love surprises!

Below, I am standing on our balcony, overlooking a garden style courtyard.


The biggest surprise was the koi pond... you all know how much we miss our yard koi pond. I had no idea this place had a koi pond when we booked the reservations three months ago.
So glad we stayed there. We could easily have stayed another night or two had we not already made plans to drive on to other U.S. shores.
I will write about them next. When we get back.


27 comments:
So glad you had a nice time. Looks like it was a beautiful wedding!
Martha :-)
Realy enjoyed the pictures.Lots of young couples over the pond here are having weddings in USA and I have seen quite a few of them marry on the beach.The hotel looks realy nice and a lovely garden spot to sit in.Thanx for sharing Take Care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES
Very beautiful and touching...and this coming from a guy who hates weddings almost as much as funerals!
Russ
What a nice entry...saw your blog mentioned on Greg's PHoto Trek....that was nice of you to mention him as a Rockin Man blogger...he surely deserves it. I love weddings too. My 22 year old daughter's friends are having bridal showers and weddings...she is just going into her senior year at College...crossing my fingers she will get her degree....it's been an interesting time...your entry on the Beach wedding and the mixing of the sands...wow, great idea.....thanks for the sentimental thoughts. Maria
That sounds like a beautiful wedding! What a wonderful idea about the sand. I think you look absolutely gorgeous in the photo! I love your dress and you look so slim and relaxed!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
Sounds like fun! If you ever get back to Wilmington, check out the railroad museum there if you can. My dad is past president there - twice!
What fun to have a beach wedding can't imagine that happening over here with our so unpredictable weather..thank you for sharing it. I just needed a bit of sunshine and sea to brighten us up after all the rain we have had lately. I also enjoyed the photo's what a pretty dress that was. The hotel looked grand and I to love the koi fish, my niece has a lovely pond in the garden with quite a few in it. I am always mesmerized when I watch them it is so peaceful looking at them swim around. Hope you have a lovely few days away. Love Sybil xx
I have always thought that beach weddings were cool. I think it is the strong symbolism involved with the land changing to water...one segment of your life giving way to the next.
Greg
How lovely to witness that lovely beach wedding ,the sand idea is lovely,something to keep forever ,so pleased you had such a great time ...love Jan xx
loved the pictures!!!
Becky
That is a beautiful hotel! I like the sand....especially the picture after they each poured thier own into the vase. I think it symbolizies better then a candle! With the sand you can still see two distinct colors, but it's so bound up you could scarsely get one with out the other! And think of how over time that vase would blend together more and more as the sands shift!! Just like any good marriage. Each a real and seperate person, yet the two so bound up in body, mind and spirit that you can't get one without part of the other! And over the years just becoming more and more integrated. - Barbara
Thanks for sharing these hon! Beautiful setting and hotel! I remember the memories well , how the sand feels against your bare feet. The warmth of the wind blowing off the shore. I need to visit a beach one of these days I miss it. Haven't been to a shore since I moved to NY when I was 18. I think it's time. (Hugs) Indigo
Love the stunning shot of the couple on the beach.
It bespeaks modesty, deep emotion, sharing one's
private life in a most public place. God bless the
couple for their bonding ceremony in public!
Barry
First time I ever heard of a beach wedding!!! It was beautiful wasn't it??? Great pictures! Can't wait to see the rest!
love ya,
carlene
That was a lovely account, Bea, thanks very much for sharing. Liked the idea of the blending of the sands.
How beautiful! I have never attended a wedding on a beach, but I did go to an outdoor wedding once that was very beautiful. You got some good pictures!
Lori
A wedding on the beach, sound fab. Glad you had a good time. B. x
How beautiful!! I almost got teary just reading about it and seeing the photos...
Hope you're enjoying your summer! August is coming MUCH too quickly!
Hugs,
Michelle
What a beautiful wedding I can picture it as I read you journal .I love the pictures .
hugs
Sherry
This was lovely. I've never been to that part beautiful. The wedding looked awesome I would have had my doubts too. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to the rest.
Take care, Chrissie
Beach weddings are quite lovely, especially when they are in the summer, and it's not too cold! I love the idea of merging two colors of sand to represent the two families coming together as one!
That courtyard where you stayed is beautiful! And, of course, the koi pond is lovely too. You know my son (Brian) has one of those in his back yard. He just keeps expanding it, to the point where he is going to have to buy another house with a bigger back yard, just for the room! lol
Hope you have a lovely time on the rest of your vacation!
Hugs
Jackie
"...the professional photographers told us to turn our cameras off, then stole our bride and groom to a short distance away closer to the swaying sea oats. They monopolized every second of the setting sun for their photos. "
The professional photographer wasn't using his head.
Supposing his vehicle had been stolen, or there was a severe technical
boo-boo, he'd be up the creek and desperate. If he'd
given you free reign he could have included that in his shooting, as well as
have your photos, potentially, as back up. For many years, from about
1960 to 1980 I worked in NY and LA, and was taken to many places
in the world as a model and actor. Richard Avedon LOVED
to take photos of couples, especially wedding couples: he took seamless paper
to City Hall in NYC and photographed couples applying for a license
to marry (whatever). Your flash wouldn't overpower his flash. And what if
it did?! That might make a terrific picture.
Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/
Loved the photos, and particularly the one of the vases. The idea of mixing the sands and then having something to show for it, is a great idea. We've been to Wilminiton a while back. If we ever get back to that area, we will have to check out that motel.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
Dear Bea, big Congratultions with your neice's wonderful wedding! And thank you so much for sharing this grand occasion with us! I love it!
love,nat
That wedding looks so romantic. I'm at a place in my own relationship where we'd say our vows every day and still mean them. I believe we will always be like that and I hope that for your neice and new husband also.
I haven't written you back yet and I should have. There are things that went on in the last two weeks that I haven't wrote about in my journal. I have been ashamed of the play I was in and I think that's why I wasn't that excited about it. It was based on how I was being treated there and that I didn't think the play was that good or very funny. I was wrong. It's very funny. Sorry I'm talking so much here. It's late. Forgive me for this taking so long.
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/WishingandHoping/
I have been thinking about having a beach wedding when my significant other and I get engaged. I hope it turns out as beautifully as this one!
Amber
LOL..to be young and plan such a neat wedding. I would have had the same fears also but as it turns out, it looked absolutely gorgeous. What a great idea! Beautiful scenery also as I love the ocean. Wow, I love the place you stayed at. You couldn't have picked a nicer place to stay and a koi pond to boot. I've been to Wrightsville Beach and think it is just gorgeous. I've been to most beaches on the east coast. I can't wait to read about your other stops. Have a safe trip. Chris
Post a Comment