Friday, June 6, 2008

What happened to Misty

Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate your support at this time. I know so many of you have lost pets recently, so I apologize for going into it again today. I felt I needed to pass on some information as a result of what has happened.

What I have learned this week since Misty passed is about a seizure the veterinarian casually called the chewing gum seizure.

I wish I had heard of it before, even years before. I didn’t realize my dogs had been having them. It doesn’t look like a seizure in its earlier, less violent stages. Now that I know about it, I want to pass it on to other pet owners. If you see your dog having one, you’ll know to call the vet, discuss what to do about it, and find out what’s causing it.

It’s very benign and innocent looking in the beginning. Amusing, curious, odd… not words that would alarm you like disturbing, frightening, and a medical emergency. Yet all those encompass the range of adjectives which I would label these seizures with the harmless sounding name.

‘Chewing gum’ doesn’t sound threatening, but that’s what it looks like your pet is doing when it first begins. The dog looks like she is biting at the air, as if she were trying to catch a fly near her nose, or trying to dislodge a stray hair stuck in her mouth… Misty had lots of moustache/beard hair around her mouth… we’d thought she was trying to get the hair out of her mouth.

It lasts a mere second or two when it happens gently… so quick you could almost miss it if you didn’t know about this sneaky little seizure. I don't think it leaves their mouth area wet and slobbery at this stage, but the longer it lasts, the wetter the mouth area becomes. I didn’t know any of this when I came home Monday night. I learned about it the next day, when I was able to get online and search the disorder known as “chewing gum seizure.”

I had come home from school Monday afternoon, rushing straight home as I usually do to let her out. She is my primary concern at the end of the school day. I neither like thinking about her waiting for us to come home when she has to go to the bathroom, nor waiting in a state of aloneness for the duration of a workday.

By the time I get home, she’s been in the house, or in the dog pen, for 10-12 hours.I know she will do her best not to leave a puddle or a pile in the house. She’s had a few accidents over the years, all forgiven, no consequences. It usually means she couldn’t wait any longer when they happened. We were never mad at her when it happened… I always felt guilty when it happened because it was our negligence, in a way, that created the situation in which she had to wait all day, holding, holding, until she could hold no longer. I could tell she felt shame when it happened. Dogs don’t like to soil their den, and our home is their den.

When I got home Monday, it was about 5:00 pm. She was not in her usual position standing in the middle of the living room floor, tail wagging furiously when I walked through the door. I had already gotten used to her quiet greeting without Max. He was the barker, and she’d joined in. While he was with us, their barking (in miniature schnauzer fashion) was alertingly loud, but I loved to hear it. We never silenced their greetings unless we had company, thinking it offended others. Sometimes I wondered how Cesar Millan would respond to their happy barking, but since it was not an annoyance to us, we allowed it. For thirteen years we allowed it.

She wasn’t in my computer room, nor the kitchen, dining room, or spare bedroom. I checked the front deck and the basement. Finally, I looked into our bedroom, and there she was, standing quietly, her tail just barely wagging. Her ears drooping, her head not too high.

I spoke to her, “Misty! What are you doing in here? Are you okay? Let’s go outside…” and I apologized for being gone so long… But she wouldn’t follow me down the hall, so I picked her up. That’s when I noticed the slobbery wet beard and mustache… I had no idea then what had caused it.

I set her down on the grass outside, but she was wobbly on her feet. She didn’t act like she wanted to go to the bathroom, her breathing looked labored, and there was a cough. All bad signs. I took her to the vet immediately.

I had no idea that within four hours we would be talking about life and death options, nor that in five hours, we’d be carrying her lifeless body home for yet another burial.

The x-rays showed fluid building up in her lungs, and an enlarged heart. It looked like congestive heart, or cardiomyopathy, the vet said. She had suggested I take Misty to the Emergency Animal Hospital (which left me with no fond memories, as you know) for the night. I expressed my anxiety and concerns for taking her there, and asked if there was something we could do for Misty to help her through the night, yet keep her at home with us. Then we’d bring her back to the vet first thing in the morning. The doctor gave her a medication to help ease her breathing, and a diuretic to remove the fluids.

Then she described a few symptoms to watch out for, including coughing, labored breathing, a pinkish discharge, and seizures. When she described the physical appearance of the seizure, and gave it the name… ‘chewing gum seizure,’ I recognized it instantly. She even described the slobbery discharge from the mouth. “I’ve seen her do that before,” I said. That would explain the wet beard I saw when I came home. She said it’s very possibly that Misty would get worse during the night, and we will want to take her to the vet. If she was dying, she assured us, it wasn’t going to be pretty. She gave me some pills to give her every eight hours, and some for every twelve hours.

We took her home. She seemed okay, breathing had eased. She laid on the floor, and we sat beside her. We talked to her soothingly, petting her, making her feel comfortable and safe, we hoped.

Both of us were so worried. All the thoughts we’d had were about what we should do. Should we let her continue like this while they tried to find the cause of her condition? Her heart was giving out. She was thirteen years old. Could we expect her to have a more, or less, comfortable and happy life now?

Then the first big seizure hit her. It began as the ‘chewing gum’ seizure… and quickly escalated into the more violent form. Steve held her close to him the entire time, telling her it was okay, telling her he had her, like she was a baby.

The seizure lasted about 3 minutes from beginning to end, whenshe was quiet and calm again. She looked afraid. That was all I could handle … I couldn’t watch this. It could continue all night until she died. I told my husband if this is what her (and our) night was going to be like, forget it. I wanted to take her to the hospital right now and let them medicate her to ease the seizures, in case she were to have another one.

We drove her to the Emergency Animal Hospital. I couldn’t hold her. I was afraid it would happen in the car, and I don’t think I could have held her as well as Steve had. So I drove. She had another seizure while we were waiting to see the doctor. She was whisked away into another room where they treated her. They gave her valium. It calmed her down, but she was unaware that we were there.

Meanwhile, the doctor had come to talk with us. There were expensive tests they wanted to do to find the cause of the seizures. It could be a brain tumor, it could be epilepsy. Then there was the condition of her heart, the fluid in her lungs.

Finally, the doctor told us that during the last seizure, there was a pink discharge coming from her nose… which pointed to blood in her lungs.

I asked the question I had wanted to ask the vet who treated Max two months ago: “If this was your pet, what would you do?” I never voiced the question two months ago because I didn’t realize he was dying.

But I knew this time, and I asked it of her. “What would you do if she were your pet?”

Quietly she said the words, “I’d put her to sleep.”

Steve and I looked at each other. It had been on our minds all that evening. Guilt followed… that we had already considered it. I said the words next. "We want to put her to sleep, then." The doctor nodded, then left the examining room so we could have some privacy.

The vet assistant carried her back to us laying on a beautiful, cream-colored, blanket… embroidered with a silky, shiny flower pattern. She was sleeping from the valium. She didn’t even know we were thinking what we were thinking. I’m glad she didn’t know. I don’t know if I could have looked her in the eyes if she had been alert. But if she were alert, I’m sure we wouldn’t have been thinking about putting her down.

We were with her until the end, petting her, whispering encouraging words into her ear, that we loved her, that we'd miss her so much, and promising her that Max was waiting for her.

She probably didn't hear us. We knew that. The words were for us, for our own ears.

It was fast. Surprisingly fast. Shestopped breathing. She was gone. It was far more peaceful than what we had witnessed earlier in the safety and comfort of our own home.

There was relief knowing that she wasn’t in pain.

There was pain knowing that our home would be so quiet without her. Without either of them.


                             
 
 
 

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Bea....I am so sorry.  I just don't know what to say.  My heart goes out to you.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Darn it, Bea...I can't even type straight. I'm just so d*&# sad about all this. Bless your hearts twice...once for losing your Misty, and twice for loving her enough to let her go. I'm crying with you.....
lots of love,
sher (wunzuponatime)

Anonymous said...

Thank you from someone who loves her own dog as dearly for telling us about these seizures. I know it wasn't easy to describe and to continue to tell us how Misty passed on...(Hugs) I can barely type for my own tears my dear friend. I continue to keep you and Steve in my prayers on the smoke during this sad time of loss. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Bea, I'm so very, very sorry for you and Steve.  I am so sorry I'm so far behind on my alerts and didn't see the one from Monday.  It's sooooo hard to lose our pets, especially with Misty following Max so closely.  Grizzly is on Phenobarb for seizures.  His sibling, Princess, was put to sleep when she was 3 from seizures which couldn't be controlled.  I don't think either had chewing gum seizures.  Thanks for sharing that with all of us who have dogs.  Sending you both a huge hug.  They were both so precious.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea, I'm sure it couldn't have been easy, reliving that day. But I think you will have helped many dog owners in doing so. I'm sure there are a lot of people who have never heard of chewing gum seizures.

My condolences to you and steve. I hope your happy memories of Max and Misty will help you both through this sad time.

B. x

Anonymous said...

God bless you & Steve.
And may Misty find peace with Max at her side.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Bea, I am so sorry for the loss of both your family "members". It is amazing that the teacher in you cannot be silenced by sorrow. You have taught us good factual topics to look for with our own pets. More than that, you have given all an example of caring and sharing while in the midst of personal pain. Bless you and your husband.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the alert about that kind of seizure...we pet-lovers should always share info.  Please take care.

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

LInda . . . I am sitting here with tears streaming down my cheeks.  
My heart is broken for you and your husband.  Thanks so much for sharing this knowledge with us so that we know what to look for.  How very kind that despite the grief that you must be feeling you could still reach out and share this with us.
God bless you,
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh Bea, I am so sorry. I cried again at your entry, as I did with the entry about Max. How heartsore for both of you. You did the right thing, though, and she is now at peace and not going to suffer any longer. My thoughts and prayers are with both you and Steve.

Anonymous said...

Oh Bea, I am so sorry. I seem to pop in over here at the oddest moments. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I can only imagine how hard this is after just recently losing Max. I am so sad for you.
Hugs, Martha

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

My dear Bea, I had no idea that you had suffered such another heartbreaking loss. I am so sorry. Love and comfort, Sheria

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of that type of seizure, and I thank you so much for bringing it to our attention.  Just think of the loved pets you could be saving by getting this information out to other pet owners.  I am so sorry you and Steve have had to go through this.  There are just no words that can help I know, but I am so very sorry.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea, my heart goes out to you. I'm sitting here crying remembering what it's like to say goodbye to a beloved pet. It's something you never forget. Just remember that Misty had a wonderful life with you and I'm certain that she knew how much she was loved.

Sending you a big hug,

Beth

Anonymous said...

My Dear Bea;

What you have gone through breaks my heart.  Your love for her, for them, you did the right thing.  You explained this so well but my heart just hurts to know this happened to your baby and you and your husband had to even make this choice.  Thank you for educating all dog owners too about this.  Maybe someone will recognize it when they see it now.  Bless you and keeping you in my prayers,


Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Bea. It's got to be very hard, losing them both in such rapid succession. But you did the right thing, and I'm sure you realize this, even if there's a tinge of guilt with it.

We haven't gotten the results on Tuffy, and she's not going to get the additional thousands of dollars in tests. It's all going to be about quality of life, and we think that's adequate for now. But it sounds like Misty didn't have that luxury, for which I'm very sorry.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
I am sooooo sorry about your loss of MIsty!
thank you so much for the new information.
love,nat

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea;
    Been there, done that. No fun. My sincerest sympathy. Losing a pet is like losing a family member. Losing two so closely together hurts so much more.  
    I remember a few years back when we lost a cat. My kids cried and cried. My son insisted we could never have another animal because we couldn't replace the cat that easily. I told them that we can never replace her or any of other pet. We can hold their memories in our hearts forever. I'm so sorry to have lost her, but I am so happy that God gave us the opportunity to share a part of our lives with her.
    Take care, and remember the good times.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

I've had to do that with 2 of my dogs, and it is such a painful thing to go through, Bea.. my heart breaks for you.   I cried reading this, because I could picture you and Steve comforting her as she had that seizure at home.  Being with her as she took those last couple of breaths.  
I am so sorry for your loss, dear Bea...  Our pets are like children to us, and to lose one is like losing a part of ourselves..

Hugs and love
jackie
http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/

Anonymous said...

I can imagine how hard it must be to lose another close "friend" like that so soon after the other.  Thank you for sharing the story with us.  ((((Bea))))  God bless you and be with you in the days ahead.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you have lost another much loved pet so soon.  We have had 3 dogs and a cat and it never gets any easier to have to make that decision.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry.... thank you for sharing though.... We still don't know what happened to our cat Kirby at the beginning of the year... one day he was fine, the next he couldn't move from the waist down, and then he was gone before we could even take him to the vet.....
Gentle hugs....
Linda....

Anonymous said...

Two beautiful little dogs.  They really were.  You can tell from these photos.  I know you will be sad for a while.  But I think they must have had a very happy life with you guys.  By the way I am going to give my sister Ann who was a wonderful English and swimming teacher your link as I know she would just love these end of the year entries.  She is a busy woman despite her loss of pancreas teaching swimming right now.  Gerry