I'm going to challenge myself to write every day during the month of July, with the exception of a few days that I plan to be away from the computer.
(I hear some of you groaning... every day? Is she kidding?)
This is a big bite for me, journaling every day. I think if I journal every day, I won't be able to comment as frequently in other journals. I can do one or the other, but not both. I could try to keep entries brief. That's the second challenge. <grin>
Many topics come to mind for the summer: life without my dogs (too quiet and not enough laughing), summer activities (quite a variety including working out at the gym), daily discoveries in and around my home and yard (I don't get out as much as I did when Max and Misty were with me), commentary on world events (would I really do that?), art project ideas I find for the coming school year (uh, hmm, sounds too much like school... give me another week off before I start planning again), family events and reflections (yes, there's a topic I plan to write a lot about), Vacation Bible School reflections and narrative (we're doing Group's PowerLab), learning how to transfer VCR video to my computer so I can make family-type 'funniest home videos' for my journal (note for Patrick: How did you do that?)
There it is...!
My topic for this evening: how to make home videos on my computer from my non-digital VCR tapes. I should say, my question for this evening. How do I make digital home videos from my video cassette tapes?
Back in August 2007, Patrick/ aka Daddyleer, Greg/ aka Radar446 , and Donovan (a very much younger friend of mine who is in college) each responded to my journal question of the day... how to take a movie from my digital camera and upload it to the internet. Each provided me with valuable information and steps that lead to my first video ever, the RedVelvet Ant video.
I continue to say "Thank you all!" every time I make a new video.
Until that day, I had no idea that on my computer was a program called Windows Movie Maker, and that program would be the key to making my movies. If you don't have Windows Movie Maker, you can download it from here.
Yes, I'm ready to tackle a new skill because I have over 50 family home Video cassettes that I know have a combination of comedic, personal, and possibly educational value. I'd love to start making little five minute movies for my family and friends to enjoy.
And if I possibly do get involved in making movies from my VCR equipment... I am sure I will not be able to make journal entries every day. I can do one or the other, but not both. Time is the key. Technology eats time like termites on a plank of wood, chewing steadily, crunch, crunch, crunch...and before you know it, the wood is gone.
Whatever happened to the idea that technology would save us time? How does it save time? It takes so much time to learn something new, and just when you've learned it, just when you get into time-saving mode, along comes a new program, or a new piece of technology, making the one you have obsolete and ridiculously slow by comparison to the new Thing.
So you get the new technology, and what do you do? Spend a great deal of timelearning how to use it. It's an endless circle.
I think I'm having second thoughts about transferring movies from my VCR to my computer.


14 comments:
Well Bea...you sure have set yourself a challenge. GOOD LUCK TO YOU !!! I await with bated breath your forthcoming editions...As always they will be FULL of the most exciting and inovative things You are so so CLEVER...keep it up, much love Sybil xx
Boy, ain't that the truth. I love my camera and my Flip and they're a lot of fun...but pictures need to be edited, videos need to be uploaded...it DOES take lots of time!
I enjoy your entries, so I'm looking forward to reading more!
Beth
You've set the bar pretty high. Teach the rest of us how to do that. I already have Windows Movie Maker. And a vcr and lots of videos I could transfer.
What a summer so far. I'm really interested in your art plans if it isn't too much work. And the little things you see around your own home would be a good topic.
Enjoy your days before school starts again!
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/
I've been transferring old family videos to DVDs for two years now. It is very time consuming, but so worth it in the end. I just added you to my private journal as a reader, and also, my link for my new tag journal is there on one of the entries. I've added your journal to my alerts.
Missie
dear Bea,
thanks very much for your comment sin my blgo!
How exciting that you will make movies on your computer! I look forward to reading your blogging entries too!
I am sorry that the dogs are no longer here! They sounded like people!
love,natalie
p.s. what has happened to shauneenie? did her mother in law die? Is that why she moved to England?
p.p.s Bea how do you know when flash recorder has tro be updates/ I got a message on the computer but I wasn't sure that it was authentic.
love,nat
I think you'll be up to each and every one of those challenges, with the possible exception of the 'shorter entries. ;O)
You're so right about technology NOT saving time. If I could recapture the minutes I've spent in front of a pc waiting for the darn thing to do something, I could add at least two years to my lifespan.
B. x
One of these days I'm going to try the transfer of a video from my digital camera. As for learning new technology...I've had a few experiences that taught me some things are so NOT worth it in the end. Life beckons around us and the computer age would literally hang us out to dry if it could (this is the pleasant version of what I almost said). (Hugs)Indigo
Good luck with all of it. You're a brave woman. DB
Good luck with all you decide to do. It's good to have a plan.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
You are so much more technologically aware than I am Bea! I never did figure out how to put music and video onto my AOL journal!
Good luck on the challenges you have set for yourself this month!
love,
Marie
Well I hope you give it a try. And then you can teach the rest of us how to do it! lol
Lori
I'm exhausted just thinking about the goal that you have set of blogging daily. I struggle (and sometimes fail) to write one entry per week! If you learn how to transfer VCR video to the computer, you must share the how-to process. Continue to enjoy the summer!--Sheria
As for the transfer of old video tape, for us it frankly better TV than anything on. I bought a DVD recorder that just dubs by old video tape into DVD format as we watch them and preserves them onto DVDs.
At my leisure or if I feel like sharing a brief clip or so then I just pop the DVD into my PC. Use DVD ripping software to transfer the clip I want to .wmv format and create a movie to upload.
Make it a two step process and it becomes enjoyment first and THEN if you want to be creative you can.
Caregivingly Yours, Patrick
that really sounds interesting but it's too late in a long day for me to get into it. My brain is full!
Love
Marti
Post a Comment