Are you a member of the Baby Boomer generation? If you were born between 1946 and 1964, you are.
Did you know that the oldest of the BBs are turning 60 this year? I didn't know that until I was browsing the North Carolina Conference on Aging website, and found out that the theme for the 2006 Conference is "Boomers Turning 60 - Implications for All of Us." The purpose of the conference is to provide educational and networking opportunities for all those interested in all the issues related to senior citizens: "long-term care, vital aging, family issues, work and retirement, leadership, and professional development."
That got me to wondering... what are the implications for all of us? More people retiring? More people needing medical care? More people selling their homes? And so, like we journalers like to do, I began doing a little personal search to find out what my turning 60 meant to the rest of the world.
Actually, I have seven years to go before I reach the big 6 - 0, and since there is only one direction in this movement of aging, I aim to move forward with grace and dignity.
Some facts:
Baby boomers are expected to live to the age of 83 and many will live into their 90's. So, I'm going to live a long time (if I continue to take care of my health).
Estimated number of BBs as of July 1, 2005: 78.2 million (US Census Bureau)
50.8% of the BBs were women in 2005 (US Census).
330 people turn 60 every hour, according to the census projections.
By 2030, almost 1 out of 5 Americans will be 65 years or older. USSEC fact.
I read several articles about Baby Boomers, and in one special report, the writer states that BBs will retire fromone career and start another (because they have another 22 years of life expectancy after they retire). Some will start new careers because they can't afford retirement, and many will go back to school for a fast-track degree. I did that one in my forties.
Many will become teachers, others will enter divinity school, and still others will become nurses. Service seems to be the theme for BBs these days. This is good, very good.
25-30 percent of BBs have four or more years of college, yet 11-13 percent lack a high school diploma. (US Dept of Labor paper). The ones who have the higher education will likely have some money set aside, a home all paid for, and good health insurance. For them, being retired will be more pleasant and golden.
Apparently, golfing isn't the dream of retirement for BBs. Likely, they will continue to work part-time (whether they have to or want to), volunteer in their communities, and become family caregivers (Lifestyle, post-gazette.com).
According to the US Securities Exchange Commision, though our health is improving, many older Americans are disabled from chronic conditions. In the 2000 census, "14 million people age 65 and older reported some level of disability (high prevalance of arthritis or heart disease)."
Dating, gray-haired couples will become more commonplace as they live longer. Boomers have a higher divorce rate than other generations. I suppose this means that places for older dating couples will see a rise in business: restaurants, movie and play theaters, cruises, vacation packages, air travel, music concerts, etc. That 25% who have the higher education, and who continue to work past retirement will be able to afford these things.
Being 60 doesn't sound so bad anymore! I may be gray-haired, and have arthritis by then, but I will have lots of friends (gray-haired and arthritic) to go out with and talk to. <grin>
When I retire, I think I should like to be involved in mission work while writing and illustrating a book or two. Maybe do some traveling.
What are your plans for retirement?


16 comments:
dear Bea,
umm if we get extra time later we will travel! where do you plan on going? love,natalie
born in 1964,,,I think BB are the most creative about their passions and will take the least popular stance if it goes against our inner grain,,I dont think we are work alcoholics, I think we care about many things and not just the JOB....but we are always on this discovery path,,,about ourselves and life, so I think we are a very discontented generation.....-
Retirement,,I have no social security,,,I dont want wealth and being a deep thinker, I am pretty much screwed when I hit my 60's...lol
-Raven
I have the higher education, but the house won't be paid off and there won't be money set aside. Look for me continuting to show up for work at age 70. - Karen (b. 1957)
At the rate I'm going, being jobless and all, I predict I will be hitting the streets with the nicest shopping cart I can find. Maybe I will park myself inside the waiting room of the hospital ER (the one that fired me) and beg for food. Maybe I will sit there and ask them for vouchers so I can take a taxi around the block and still come back and park my cart outside and my butt on the waiting room chairs. That would be on the cold nights. During the summer I would probably just find a nice underpass, maybe sit with a few friends (probably all winos...but, I don't drink, or at least I don't think I do), who will probably be smashed and stinky, but that's okay, I will just become the caregiver of the street poor.
Wish I could paint a brighter picture, but at this point I don't see one.
Hugs
jackie
http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/
At this point in time I am not thinking about my turning 60 in less than 6 more years. I am on SSI Disability which is the result of not having the 12 more credit quarters paid in that would have given me full SS disability. I likewise need those credit quarters to be eligible for full SS retirement/medicare benifits. I lost my job as a warehouse clerk at the nearby town's hospital in 1980 due to back injury I sustained in 1973. Following that I made $2800/year getting a medical card and food stamps for the next four years not paying in self employment SS or filing taxes. I worked day jobs and just went from week to week spending every dollar. I have had both knees replaced in 2000 and 2002, had a birth defect to my jaw corrected though it still gives me problems but not like before the surgery. Now I am waiting to find out if an orthopedic back specialist will be able to see me on Illinois Medicaid for my diagnosed severe stenosis of the lumbar spine. Fortunately I do have a home paid for that cost $12000 that I began buying in 1985. Today is as far ahead as I can think. mark
You have valid question. How is the state welfare going to cope with all those OAP's and their needs? That is the question for our time.
Technically I'm not a baby boomer, because I was born in 1966. But my oldest sister, Dee, was born in 1947, so I've always considered myself as part of the baby boomer generation, being the child of depression-era parents. These are very interesting statistics, and since I'm only 2 years past the 1964 cut-off, I'm pretty sure most of these will apply to me, too. At least I can look forward to living into my eighties!
Lori
http://beta.journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages/
Yepper, I'm one...but just barely I guess, as I was born in '49.
Hugs, Sugar
I was born in the 60s. It's hard to think of myself as a Baby Boomer. My being born had absolutely NOTHING to do with anyone returning from the war and having I MISSED YOU sex. lol Strange that they'd call people that for 18 after the soldiers returned home. I may be deeply misled as to what started the phrase Baby Boomer.
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/WISHINGANDHOPING/
http://journals.aol.com/tsalagiprincess1/JumpingOffTheDeepEnd/
Those reports are always fascinating but I find masked in a sense. They seem based on a flawed assumption of health. Because disability and illness cannot be statistically predictied it is downplayed. Yet, the moment anyone become dependent the dominoes start to tumble into one another. Painting pictures with paints hued in denial is risky. ... Of course life has forced us to see differently.
Patrick
Those reports are always fascinating but I find masked in a sense. They seem based on a flawed assumption of health. Because disability and illness cannot be statistically predictied it is downplayed. Yet, the moment anyone become dependent the dominoes start to tumble into one another. Painting pictures with paints hued in denial is risky. ... Of course life has forced us to see differently.
Patrick
Hello Bea,
What a great and well documented entry you have here. I loved it! I'm also a baby-boomer (1964) and darn proud of it. Like you, I am currently in school and should be finished by early next year. I'm working hard now so I can have some "golden" in my (our) retirement years. It use to scare me to see 50 or 60, but not now. Actually I'm looking forward to it :)!!
Take care,
Gayla
Found you through CarnivAOL. What an interesting entry. I like the part about BBs not sitting around in retirement, but instead volunteering or caregiving. That sounds quite noble. Also the part about service jobs (teachers, divinity school, nurses). We know what is important! But also we will take care of ourselves at the same time (look after our health care). That sounds like a healthy balance to me.
Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink
Great entry...
Found you thru CarnivAOL.
be well,
Dawn
Close to a Boomer here. This really gives a lot to think about. Thanks for your post. Found you through carnivAOL.:)
Jo
Found you through Carvivaol. I am 62 and I am having a ball! Life is good and I do not know how I found time to work! I was born in 1944 but still a baby boomer I reckon...as the war was ending everyone had babies! I liked the statistics about grey haired folk looking for love.....that's me. no luck so far but I am always hoping! Do visit me if you like. Love Connie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/wldconnie/Temporarilydisabled/
Post a Comment