Apparently I have been unaware of the Sand Sculpture Competition held every year at Harrison Lake, British Columbia, Canada... where have I been all these years to miss this?
I want to be there next year so I can take my own photos... but who am I kidding? The competitions are held in September, and the exhibit remains through October...
I'm a teacher. There's no way I can attend anything that far from home (I live in NC) and get that kind of time off to fly away.
Oh well, someday. It's now at the top of my list of things to do and see while I am traveling in my retirement years. Which are less than ten years away, I might add.
If you live near this area, maybe you have been able to visit the sandy shores of Lake Harrison. Do any of our J-landers live out that way?
I visited a few websites to find out more about this tourist spot, and found a very practical suggestion about when would be the best time to go to the beach to photograph the sand sculptures.
Suggestion was to go on a cloudy rainy day because on bright and sunny days, you will end up with very sharp contrasts from the blinding sand and the darker shadows created by the sun. Also, less people tend to go to the beach on a cloudy and rainy day, so the traffic would be better. Makes sense to me.
The only reason I found out about this sand artist paradise is because a friend forwarded an email to me, and rather than forwarding it on, I decided to make an entry about it here.
Aren't these sculptures interesting? ... a pleasant combination of humor and art. There must be something special in the sand to make such towering masterpieces.
Photos from the Gallery at Harrisand.org included with permission from Mr. Bob Bell, General Manager.


12 comments:
I like the castle one, I'm wondering if little sand people live in there. They are all so impressive, and took tons of time to do. I just don't have that kind of patience.
Greg
http://journals.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/
Sand sculptures are incredible, I think. Have passed your link to a J-lander in WA
Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip
"Suggestion was to go on a cloudy rainy day because on bright and sunny days, you will end up with very sharp contrasts from the blinding sand and the darker shadows created by the sun."
Even some inexpensive cameras have built in flash
that can be controlled four differetn ways. Flash-
fill, in daylight shadows, for example can be given
a bit more light. Or, but not as effective, is
to have someone stand, or hold something
or other, to block direct, harsh sunlight. In Canada,
btw, harsh sunlight is a comparative rarity, no?
How would the photos you show be damaged by
having been shot in strong direct sunlight? Adding texture
would destroy their appeal? The subject matter sure is
dramatic.
Barry
Wow. Those are really extraordinary. John and I once photographed snow and ice sculptures in Montreal, but while they were impressive and fun, none of them matched the complexity and artistry displayed here. Thanks! - Karen
I like the hands crawling away... amaising!... perhaps you could organise a class trip and the school could let you go for a competition and the school Art's reputation :D
Valerie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/iiimagicxx/surreality/
I always find this stuff so freakin amazing.... The talent is astounding to me.
Nancy
I heard about this entry from Guido. I live 30 miles south of Seattle but have never heard of this event. I have visited Sand Sculpture events on our Washington coastline. I'll have to bookmark it for next year. I love B.C. and have spent many, many vacation days there. Linda in western Washington
The Jersey Shore is much closer to you. I went to one such competition over 4th of July weekend at Stone Harbor, NJ. Of course, sand artists on the Jersey Shore are less obsessive <grin> Sculptures included a home bathroom (yes, water in the commode), classic autos, dinosaurs, Last Supper, and so on. It was a hoot!
Patrick
Its unbelievable...I cant imagine all that labor and the wind and water takes it away..all of those deserve a museum...but I guess its profound...short lived beauty or the hard work to inspire....and to be without pride....You would have to have some level of humility to create art in sand..
~Raven
http://journals.aol.com/rebuketheworld/RebukeTheWorld/
That is just so awesome! I have seen pictures of sand sculptures before, but never had the fun of being able to see a live and up close one! It's amazing what they can create with sand and a little water! The details are just fantastic. I saw it on TV once too. It was a contest, and I was just in awe looking at the intricate detail of some of them.
Hugs
Jackie
http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/
It is my understanding that they use specially prepared sand that will keep it's shape for the events. I have thought: "why do they go to so much trouble to create something that will dissolve once it's done?" The answer must be that they photograph their work for a permanent record and resume. I guess some of them make a financial reward based on their expertise. Perhaps art is more of an idea than a material 'thing'. mark
Dear bea,
what a wonderful entry! My favorite is the lady wiht the shield! what was yours?
love,natalie
Post a Comment