Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Poet, Peacemaker, and Angel

A few entries ago, I talked about young Mattie Stepanek, and how his heartsongs had influenced the lives of many hundreds and thousands of people, especially after they heard him speak on Oprah back in 2001. I was one of those who saw and heard Mattie, 11 years old at the time.

I remember the day I first saw him in October, 2001. His words blew me away. Literally. A month later, I wrote the following in my journal (my paper journal, I wasn't a blogger back then).

Poet, Peacemaker, and Angel

Did you see him on the Oprah show? Last month she interviewed him, the Peacemaker and Poet.

I thought he was an Angel. He sat comfortably in his special chair, a chair that kept him alive. His blue eyes sparkled as he answered her questions. A miracle. His life lived so deeply.

Did you see him on the Oprah show? She asked him what kept him alive. "My poetry," he smiled. His words. His wisdom. Too much to contain in that little body. He is on a divine mission to spread Peace around the world, a message of hope. His heart sings songs, his heart is full and

Did you see him on the Oprah show?  I saw him, his heart so full of love and joy for life that it burst right there, spilling out his songs, touching the lives of every soul with ears, and eyes, and hearts. His song pierced the television screen in my living room straight into my heart and I knew where his song had gone: it lives in me! And

If you saw him on the Oprah show last month and you heard Mattie's heartsongs, then I know your heart was pierced, too.

Did you feel your heart suddenly expand? Did it feel like for a moment it would burst?

Because I think that's how he felt when the heartsong filled his heart. Yet he knew he had to let it go for his message of peace to be heard.

So now, with our pierced hearts we, too, are on a mission: to listen to our own heartsongs and to let them out through that little hole created by the words of an eleven year-old peacemaker. Mattie Stepanek.

God's Angel on Earth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely entry...
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Beautiful..    I don't anyone, who had the pleasure of getting to know Mattie through Oprah or other avenues, who's hearts he did not touch.  He was an outstanding young man.  An angel.. here on earth..

Jackie

Anonymous said...

awww how sweet Bea! love and hugs, natalie