Sunday, October 15, 2006

Dyslexia, what it means and what to do.

Many times over the years as a Special Education teacher, I have heard the refrain, "I think my child has dyslexia. I want him tested to see if he is dyslexic."

Dyslexia comes from the Greek word "dys" meaning inadequate, and "lexis" meaning language or words. There is no cure for dyslexia, and it doesn't mean the person with it has a lower intelligence. Dyslexia has to do with what happens in the brain, how the brain processes language ... expressive or receptive, oral or written. It is a thing of the mind.

I repeat, it does not mean one has low intelligence. Any parent of a dyslexic child will tell you their kid is smart. The kids I teach who are dyslexic are often average to above average in intelligence.

I do not have a doctorate degree, and do not claim to be the expert in this area, but I have some training in teaching children reading skills in decoding, fluency, and reading comprehension. I wanted to put a few helpful and informative links here today for anyone who knows a child who is having great difficulty with reading.

Chances are you know or knew someone like this. If you were told you were dyslexic as a child, and you think your child is, you may be correct. Recent research shows that dyslexia is inherited.

Dyslexia goes beyond transposing letters and numbers, though that is certainly one of the characteristics that is noticed first. Other signs include being unable to associate sounds in words, to recognize rhymes, to identify single words, or spell words.  Also, difficulty with writing, reading comprehension, difficutly expressing thoughts aloud, confusion with directions and time, handwriting issues, and confusing steps in math processes are signs of dyslexia.

These are just a few. A person doesn't have to have all of these symptoms to be genuinely dyslexic, but if you have a child who exhibits these signs, ask your child's teacher if they see these difficulties in the classroom. Then ask to have your child tested.

If you don't ask to have your child tested early on, waiting until 3rd or 4th grade could lead to reading disaster and disappointment, not to mention dropping out of school.

The first link I'm going to add is for the LDonline website at http://www.ldonline.org . Here anyone can subscribe for a free monthly newsletter for up-to-date news in the field of learning disabilities. Teachers would no doubt find it useful, but so would parents who want to be informed.

I received an issue today in my email, and came across several articles about dyslexia. What I found particularly interesting was the fact that children identified with dyslexia in kindergarten or first grade "will have significantly fewer problems in learning to read at grade level than" children who aren't identified and helped until later, say in 3rd grade. This fact was followed by this even more frightening fact: poor readers in the 3rd grade often "remain poor readers in the ninth grade."

I don't know the statistics yet on how many adults cannot read well, but it seems likely that if a person cannot read well by ninth grade, they will not be reading well by the time they graduate from high school.

In all my training, I have heard over and over again how important it is to find these kids at a younger age, and not wait until they are in the 3rd grade to get them help.

With the eligibility criteria we've been using these past fifteen or so years, at least in my home state, it is possible for a student to have difficulty with reading (or math or writing), yet not qualify for special services due to the requirement of a significant discrepancy between intellectual ability and academic achievement scores. We're talking test scores here.

In the school I have worked at for the past seven years, and the one where I work now, when a student doesn't qualify for special services, there are other in-school programs, math and reading remediation classes, which will take such students for a time period each day and work on specific skills needed. It's probably true that many schools have such programs set up to help at-risk students who flounder in reading and/or math.

The point I want to make is that if parents are aware that their child is struggling with the basics of reading before kindergarten, they can start advocating and helping their child right away. There is no time to waste!

In Common Signs of Dyslexia  there is a list of signs to watch out for in your preschooler:

May talk later than most children

May have difficulty pronouncing words, i.e., busgetti for spaghetti, mawn lower for lawn mower

May be slow to add new vocabulary words

May be unable to recall the right word

May have difficulty with rhyming

May have trouble learning the alphabet, numbers, days of the week, colors, shapes, how to spell and write his or her name

May have trouble interacting with peers

May be unable to follow multi-step directions or routines

Fine motor skills may develop more slowly than in other children

May have difficulty telling and/or retelling a story in the correct sequence

Often has difficulty separating sounds in words and blending sounds to make words

The good news is that there is a new approach for identifying children in need on the horizon, and within five years, all the schools in this state (NC) will be adopting it, called Response To Intervention. I have only heard about it, and am beginning to look more into it because this is going to be the model for identifying children for special education services, according to IDEA 2004.

I do knowthat the model for identifying children based on discrepancy scores between IQ and academic achievement will no longer be used, but replaced by an entitlement model based on the student's response to research based interventions. There is an article, somewhat technical, explaining this model at http://www.ldonline.org/article/11202 if you would like to read about it.

As soon as I become more familiar with it, I may be able to explain it in layman's terms! From what I heard, it's going to be more work intensive for the teachers involved, but will provide help for more students who may otherwise fall between the cracks of our education system.

Finally, here is a link for families, http://www.readingrockets.org/families, and How to Recognize Early Signs of Trouble. These are more reader friendly, I might add!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lesson....Dyslexia, like many other disabilties (like ADD, Autism, etc) have so many misconceptions.    I always like to be more educated on things like this!   Thanks Bea...

nancy

Anonymous said...

A very well written, informative entry, Bea.  So often dyslexia is overlooked and a child is misdiagnosed.  You may have really helped someone here.  THANKS!
Michelle  

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this.  It seems that most parents don't even think about dyslexia any more.  They just get the prescription for the ADHD drugs and plow on.  This is something that I have become closer to in the past few years.  I swear I am slightly dyslexic.  In school I was put in an accelerated learning path early on.  After a few years, I had to leave that program due to my inability to spell, and my reading comprehension.  No big deal.  Many years later, as an adult I actually display a lot of the symptoms you have listed.  Not enough to hinder me in life, but enough to annoy me when I am trying to think or write.  Who knows, if I had been tested as a child, I may have learned better ways of coping with the symptoms.

Greg
http://journals.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea,
This is a very well written and informative article on dyslexia and its signs. It must be very worrying for parents who find that their child is not learning the way that other children do. You could have helped some people by posting this. Well done!
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful that myself or my children did not have this problem.  Both of my kids are excellent readers and have been from the start.  That's a real blessing in this day and age when so many young people and adults can't read or spell very well.    Linda in WA  

Anonymous said...

Stuttering, is that a symptom? I stuttered,
and amazingly my four year old stutters.
My actor-training prejudice is that dyslexia
(and stuttering) might be a symptom of some-
thing else, a predisposition to be tense, to be
unable or unwilling to relax consciously, and
with specific deliberation. Extreme physical
and mental tension can be over-come, partially
at any rate, by repetitive self-observation,
especially while speaking and being observed
speaking. The medical stuff I know zip about.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Thank You! Entries like this are more helpful than you may ever realize. Over the decades as a caregiver, I've spent too many hours surfin' the Internet for medical research and clues. (My focus was MS.) Whenever a search engine 'discovered' such an entry compiled in plain English with links it was like striking gold. You've taken teaching into another dimension.
Patrick

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting and I'm sure helpful. So many learning disabilities go without diagnosis.

Anonymous said...

Finding out the specific disability a child has early can make a lifetime of difference.    It is amazing how when I was growing up in the 1960's the term 'attention deficit disorder' had not even been thought of.    Now it seems that any child that is not getting good grades is put on medication by the parents to remedy the situation.     From what I have read this can be carried on into college as a way to study via medication.     I take Straterra which is not a controlled substance to help me as an adult.     I find it has the ability to make me focus on reading,  though I can do the same thing from the reading habits I have gained without it.     Your topic is about Dyslexic children so I have strayed from the topic for which I apologise.    Dyslexia is not a subjective judgement like ADD.    I only became aware of the term when I was in college and a person told me how road signs look backwords when he read the lettering.     mark

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
what abrilliant entry! Wow! you are great Bea!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Oh...I must saved this entry..I think my son Jonathan is dyslexic..he is only 6...but he still cant write his alphabet...switches everything...nothing wrong with my socially, or intellectually...so I have a meeting with his teacher to discuss this...Great Entry Bea!
~Raven

Anonymous said...

FIRST, I HAVE TO THANK YOU FOR READING "HEART sTRINGS,"  i NEED TO TELL YOU,,,YOUR JOURNAL IS THE MOST SPECIAL JOURNAL I'VE READ IN AWHILE,,,IT TEACH'S,,,MY HUSBAND AND ELDEST DAUGHTER HAD DYSLEXIA,,,I DIDN'T KNOW AT THE TIME, THAT THIS WAS HAPPENING.   THEY HAVE PASSED AWAY BUT, I AM BLESSED WITH SIBLINGS,,,CHILDREN, GRAND CHILDREN, AND A BUNCH OF GREAT GRANDCHILDREN,,,BLESSINGS IN BUNCHES,,,I REALLY LIKE READING YOUR JOURNAL, I WILL BE BACK,,, Marie
http://journals.aol.com/rosas831/RealisticProse/
www.booksbyrosasbarassi.com

Anonymous said...

I am a specialist teacher for Dyslexia. Your description of what it is was spot on. I have worked with dyslexics for about 30 years and I am now retired but in UK it is now accepted as a disability and allowances are made in exams. Students are allowed readers scribes and extra tif they are dyslexic. Do you have that in US? If you want to link to my journal please visit. Love Conniex
http://journals.aol.co.uk/wldconnie/Temporarilydisabled

Anonymous said...

Hi there, fellow nominee...

I'd just like to congratulate you on becoming a nominee for the, '2006 Vivi Awards' and wish you the very best of luck on voting day. I know how excited you must be, because I too was voted for, in the 'Best Video Blog' catagory.

If you want to see exactly how excited I was, check out my video response here:

http://journals.aol.co.uk/davethesod/mish-mash/entries/677

As my blog is less than one month old and it doesn't have very many viewers yet, perhaps you could help me out and increase my chances in the 'Best Video Blog' catagory come voting day, by sharing the link to my blog with all of your friends, but only if you enjoy it, of course. If you could do that for me, I'd be ever so grateful.

Here it is...

http://journals.aol.co.uk/davethesod/mish-mash/

Once again, all the best and good luck with the votes on, 2nd November...

Anonymous said...

Hello Bea,
Thank you so much for this entry! My husband is dyslexic, but highly intelligent and an awesome business man. And a memory like an elephant. It always amazes how great he is with numbers, any kind of numbers: percents, stocks, our budgets and so on. Your are so correct about the "associate sounds in words" and "spell words", that is my Bob! He reads great and has since high school, but he had to work at it. Oh he would kill me if he knew I was telling....LOL Not really :)

Thanks again,
Gayla