Monday, October 23, 2006

He Returns

I saw the movie. A popular movie, I was among those looking forward to it coming to the family theater near me, where tickets are $2 for anyone, and refills on popcorn and soda are free. So, yes, I waited to see it until this weekend, although it was first released in June.

The story was of a father who sent his only son to earth, because the people of earth needed someone to bring them the light. Ah, yes, you saw that movie, too, you say?

                                                  

So I'm three months late getting in on the the discussion that followed. At least, I think there might have been a discussion, maybe even a controversy, or even a healthy debate. Maybe not a debate... religion is at best difficult to debate. In fact, the discussion may be over, history. I don't even know. Like I said, I didn't have a clue what it would be about. Another Superman movie. But I had seen the previous movies, the prequels, I suppose you would call them.

                                                                      

Yeah, even as we watched the first few minutes, when the words of Jor-El speak of his only son, of sending him to earth, there is no doubt of the biblical connection the producers, directors, and writers are making. Even my husband leaned over and said, "The Christian people are not going to like that statement!"

"Oh, I think they will," I smiled.

                                            

Yes, the movie is sprinkled heavily with Christian symbolism, from the obvious ones of Superman's outstretched arms as he floats above our planet, or when he lifts the asteroid-sized black rock of evil and sin from the ocean and casts it out into space, to the more subtle ones as when Lex Luthor's accomplice and whore-like girlfriend cries when she sees LL's henchmen beat Superman nearly to death because he has been disabled by the krypton embedded within the black ocean fortress. Action, dialogue, and plot all lend themselves to reminders of the story of Christ.

Lois Lane is about to receive the Pulitzer Prize for writing an article, Why the World Doesn't Need Superman. What she is really saying, if you read between the lines, is the world doesn't need a savior. Confronted with his return, he carries her out for an evening flight and tells her, as they gaze upon the view below the clouds, "Yet, I hear them crying out for one every night." 

 Jesus. Hearing our prayers!

I don't find this activity of looking for Christ symbols in our stories and movies as a negative concept, nor is it a new one.

Many of my favorite stories resemble or retell the story of Christ. Most recently, and more well accepted in this motif is the story of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Aslan the king lion is led to an altar and killed, and he walks to his death peacefully and willingly, like a lamb. Jesus was led to his crucifixion in much the same way. "He fought like a lamb," are the lyrics of Roar sung by Ray Boltz.

I'mnot going to rewrite here what has already been written. A search of Christian symbolism in Superman movies results in articles too numerous to read. The Journal of Religion and Film published an article, Superman as Christ-Figure: The American Pop Culture Movie Messiah, about just this topic.

When we watch a movie or read a book, and the hero of the story gives up his life for the world, or for one single person, we remember Jesus dying on the cross. When the hero is kind to others, supports the weak, provides for the poor, and battles against injustice, we think of Jesus healing the sick, curing the crippled, and giving hope to those enslaved. And when the hero is rejected because he is misunderstood, and beaten, and killed, we also think of Jesus who was betrayed and led to be tortured and humiliated on a hill of rocks. There's no way we can hear new stories like this and not think of the one story that changed our lives first.

I say we and our ... I know not everyone sees these things the way I do. I didn't see them before, either. But I see them now, and that is part of who I am, now.

So yes, when I watched Superman Returns this weekend, I did notice the symbolism, and found it delightful that even today, we can tell a story and make it one that people want to hear again and again. That's how I see the story of Jesus, and I want to hear it over and over again. I like telling it to anyone who wants to know.

Not everyone wants to know, though. They would much rather hear the stories of Superman, Batman, or the X-Men. I love super-heroes, how they live dual lives, how they are called to save the world, how they grew up unaware of their true nature, only to discover a supernatural strength and power within themselves as they matured. The world, indeed, needs a superhero. A real one.

Jesus isn't a mythical fantasy played out on the movie screen. He had a turning point in his life too, and when he could have walked away from the suffering and dying part, he chose to go through with it. For the world. For us. Would we ever understand?

How could we?

For starters, there's the New Testament.

 

Photos of Superman by Matthew Workman found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/hexane/sets/72157594198821625/ 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had heard the same thing from someone else recently and thought it was interesting.  Something I wouldn't normally expect from Hollywood.  But, if that was indeed the message they were intending to impart...hopefully other people, who need to hear the Good News picked up on it too and it planted a seed in their hearts.  " God works in mysterious way, His wonders to perform."    Lnda in WA

Anonymous said...

Bea... I dont have a problem with symbolism either...I think its great....but I like it when the good guy wins...-Raven

Anonymous said...

I actually find it rather cynical that film makers make millions out of retelling the 'Jesus' story in so many ways. Yes they are reaching people. But you have to ask why are they doing it? Having said that Bea, I enjoyed the read and your take on things is always interesting. This piece was beautufully written - I haven't seen the movie yet, and will have to do so. I had not realised there was controversy over it either.
Kate
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

great post...maybve I should go watch the movie again!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Robert Graves' novel KING JESUS.
a copy of which I own but have so
far read only the first couple of pages
just might make me au courant on
your subect. Graves is a heavy-duty
writer, smart, and is famous for
writing about language and its uses.
In the meantime, I do shudder a bit
at equating Superman the Hollywood
money maker with the historical Jesus.
It's splendid of you to take the kind
view; I admire that.

We Christians supported controversial
Mel Gibson's movie The Passion of the Christ;
it broke every Indy movie boxoffice record.
$600,000,000 plus worldwide. There are two
things in that movie I wish were different.
The omission of Jesus overturning the money
changers tables, and, the presence of a
mocking Chief priest actually present at the
crucifixion. Both decisions show a nervousness
of intent. I'd have preferred an implacable
taking of an immovable stand. But then I wasn't
Mel Gibson worrying about if he'd ever get his
25 million dollars back, his total personal
investment.

Superman doesn't ask anything of us
except that we pay admissiion. That can be
seen in a negative light, so I'm wary of
giving sperman too much credit. Superman
doesn't even ask us to love everybody.

I do recognize the loving tone of all your
blog messages however. You're SuperWoman!

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/




Anonymous said...

Loved this entry!!  Well written!  Gonna have to rent the movie now!   *wink*

LORI

Who I am… underneath it all:  
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/DiscoveringMe

Precious Metal (A Spiritual Journal)
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/PreciousMetal

Anonymous said...

I've never seen the movie and now it is a must do!
Hugs,
joyce

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your comparison on movies that have a religious theme in conjuntion with the fiction.     I am very interested in reading an historical scholar's book 'The New Testament,  An Introduction to the Early Christian Writings' by Bart Erhman.     It is not written as a book preaching Christianity but one that gives in depth historical reference to what has been found containing relevance in documentation of the first century.     Knowing where and how the New Testament has been authored into writing and by what documents is facinating.    The Apostle Paul being choosen by Christ following His Resurrection is the only documentation confirmed by scholars as Paul writing his original text in his words.     I am able to come to my own decision of my belief without being influenced by anything other than what I read and understand.    When I was young I did not find Superman Comics or the early TV show to relate to Christ, but Superman as a crime fighter for good.     It was the basic 'good vs. bad' theme moralistically.     mark

Anonymous said...

I had to come back to visit,,,I'm happy I did,,,I don't think I ever really enjoyed Superman before,,,You made it interesting, now,,,I have to check it out,,,I watched it with my children as they were growing and thought I enjoyed it then,,,I wouldn't have check out the new one,,,but now I may,,,Thank you my Dear,,,I hope you don't mind,  I linked you to my journal,,,makes it easier to check your journal, time to time,,,have a great day,,,  Marie,

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
Hoear! A movei for $2,00! How did that happne?
When did Superman returns come out?
Is it new?
Hey Bea I would love to see it too!
I think we all need Superman, Ghandi, the Dahlai Lama, moses , Christ and mayb even Mohammed to cheer up this planet!
love,natalie
ps please come see my new entry about NYC! I need your opinion on what is goin on there! thanks! love,nat

Anonymous said...

Great entry, Bea! Your comparisons are really thought-provoking. I saw the movie back in June and liked it a lot.
I am not a regular church goer, but I have always considered myself a good Christian and close to God. Just recently I was told about two books by Bruce Wilkinson, The Prayer of Jabez and The Dream Giver.
I love, love, love them both and am curious to know more. I love the style of writing in which he relates parts of the bible to every day experiences.

I am really thinking about getting into a Bible study class soon!

Anonymous said...

This reminded me of a book I read by Anne Rice...Christ the Lord:Out of Egypt.  While it is a fictional book, I thought that there was so much to learn from it about His time on Earth.  But my cousin, whom I always share books with, refused to read it!  He believes that we shouldn't add or subtract anything from what was written in the Bible.  I didn't look at it like that at all.  Hope I'm making sense here. lol  Hugs and GBU, Shelly

P.S.  Thanks for the movie review and congrats on your nomination! : )

Anonymous said...

Your entry brought back a Catholic elementary school memory. Sister Helen John assigned our 5th grade class to draw what we thought Jesus would look like if He were to visit the earth today. I remember watching her face grow angrier as she flipped through drawing after drawing depicting one variation or another of Superman. In those days Nuns could physically whomp on you and I dreaded where this was heading. Finally she just exploded, tearing up all the pictures and dramatically pointing out that Christ suffered and died for us but how sad it was that we were unable to recognize His face. On the chalkboard she drew an elderly person, a child in a leg brace, a person in a wheelchair, and someone in a hospital bed. “These are the faces of Jesus!”  
Patrick

Anonymous said...

Wow.  I never put Superman and Jesus in the same light before.  I can see it now, though, after reading your entry.  I can definitly see the symbolism there.

So insightful you are, Bea!

Hugs
Jackie