Sunday, October 22, 2006

Impromptu book activity

Thanks to Kate who gave credit to Paul who was tagged by Charley , who snagged it from Dona , who picked it up from Linda ... and that's as far back as I'm going for this one! she said breathlessly.

Anyone can participate. Book lovers will probably jump right in. All you need is a book in close proximity. Just follow the directions, then copy and paste the directions in your journal.

                                        For me, it's a nice diversion.

 

1. Grab the nearest book. If you are currently reading something, that'll be fine too.

2. Open the book to page 123.

3. Find the fifth sentence.

4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your Blog along with these instructions.

5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet I know that is what you were thinking!

Here's mine:

Arriving back at the dark bustle of the hive, the laden bee looks around for a cell where she can unburden herself. She chooses one that is in close proximity to the brood cells, a convenience for the other bees working in the nursery. Finding an appropriate one, she grabs it with her front legs and perches her abdomen on the opposite rim so that her four other limbs dangle into the waxen well. Rubbing these together, she combs and scrapes the contents of her corbiculae into the storage bin below.

From Robbing the Bees by Holley Bishop

You always wondered what went on in those beehives didn't you? Well, that's why I'm reading it. Actually, I'm on page 207. I admit to having a fascination with insects, but bees are probably my favorite.

I will be writing an entry on bees someday to satisfy my desire to share what I've learned with the aoljournals world.

Now it's your turn. Grab the closest book to you, whether you are reading it or not.

Come back and leave a link so I can read yours!

Thanks, Bea

Oh, and corbiculae are tiny collection baskets, like saddlebags located on the bees back legs. It's where she stores all the pollen as she flies from flower to flower, sipping nectar. 

Tags: ,

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea, thank you so much for stopping by my journal and for your lovely comment. I was very touched by Jackie's entry today. She means the world to me!

I did the book tag thingy too and it was fun, here's my link:
http://journals.aol.com/mmartinez07/UnhappilyEverAfter/entries/2006/10/16/ive-been-book-tagged/956

Congratulations on your nomination!
Huggies, Mandy

Anonymous said...

I did this one, too!  Bees are truly fascinating... Thanks for the insight!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
thanks! very sweet!
love,nat

Anonymous said...

Bea,
I was just going to ask what corbiculae were or look it up in my latin dictionary, and then you explained it right at the end,
Thanks,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

I have done a 'meme' which I now know is a questionaire that the person fills in the first answer to cross their mind.      I will pick up a book and do the assignment you have offered and include it when I post my entry in the middle of this week.     As I told Nancy that wrote back and forth to me about doing one ( she is a wonderful photographer which is my main interest in her journal )   that I can never keep up with all my alerts and I only make entries every so often when I have something to share.   I thought the information that you shared about bee's was extremely interesting.     I hope you have a great week.     mark

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/mumma4evr/Mumma4evrslifeorlackthereof
here you go!  LOL
Becky

Anonymous said...

Bea,
How interesting,  My Sister in law raises bees.  Thanks for the recommendation.
David

Anonymous said...

dear bea,
here's mine!:
http://journals.aol.com/lurkynat/Interface/entries/2006/10/27/the-book-tag-by-charlie-dawn-and-paul/1224
love,nat

Anonymous said...

I did mine in my LJ:

http://mavarin.livejournal.com/

Karen